• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 14 April 2014 08:56 PM

This playthrough started out wonderfully. The only moderately nausea inducing incident happened when navigating the stairs at the Ritz.

But, of late, people who have played the game before seem to have their own objectives. Those of us who have never played the game before seem to be occasionally left adrift. I am not having as much fun as I did when I first started. Nobody’s problem but my own. But that’s just the way I feel.

I’m sorry you feel like that Tim. I’ve got so many other games I’d like to play I won’t be trying all the different paths in TPD anytime after finishing it, so finding it interesting to read about some of the alternatives to be found in the game! I certainly haven’t felt ‘left adrift’ at any time & it’s been good to read comments from 2nd - umpteenth-time players that relate to the path that I’m on!

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 15 April 2014 06:23 AM

...so (I am) finding it interesting to read about some of the alternatives to be found in the game! I certainly haven’t felt ‘left adrift’ at any time & it’s been good to read comments from 2nd - umpteenth-time players that relate to the path that I’m on!

I agree that reading about the various paths would be interesting if I had a good understanding of what the various paths meant. Iz gave a brief overview at the beginning of the CPT, but once the game starts, the awareness of paths starts to diminish, at least for those who haven’t played the game before. And while the path destinations probably remain the same, the method of achieving them depends on the mode you’re playing.

As I certainly haven’t been a boy scout, and I haven’t done anything evil that I know of, I assume I am on the middle/bland path. (And, as IZ pointed out, once you’ve reached this stage, there probably isn’t much you can do to change the path you’re on.)

As my crashes, to-date, only happened in Day 5, I’m hoping they are behind me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As there hasn’t been a new post in three days, I’m thinking at most, if not all the players have finished Day 5 and just haven’t reported that fact. Are we still on track to start Day 6 tomorrow?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 18 April 2014 12:19 PM

Are we still on track to start Day 6 tomorrow?

Yes

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve been crazy busy this week, so even though I played through Day 5 last week-end, I haven’t had the time to write anything about it. And now I can’t really remember all that much about it.

The highlight was definitely the two scenes with Regan: the one where she learns about her father’s death, and the BBD-only scene at the end of the day. Tanya Roberts is great in the part, and her chemistry with Chris Jones is through the roof.

Meeting Archie was fun too. He’s utterly ridiculous, but never in a bad way. His interactions with Tex are great, and I’ll never get tired of him screaming like a little girl.

There was a lot of stuff gameplaywise, but some of it is starting to border on ridiculous. How are you supposed to take Cross seriously as a bad guy when you can just waltz into his workplace twice and steal all his stuff? There’s a point where making the NSA grossly incompetent for the sake of accommodating puzzles becomes detrimental to the story.

Not particularly fond of the box puzzles either; at least the slider puzzle was alright, thanks to the duplicate tiles.

And now, Roswell. Kill me.

Obligatory excerpts from my notes:

* Why did Malloy keep the flight schedule with him at the warehouse? How was Emily supposed to open the box without it???
* Fitz describes Malloy as a friend/colleague. Regan says “he worked for my father”.
* Yay, Lucia!
* I had completely forgotten about the morgue…
* Pug!
* One thing I had never noticed during all my playthroughs, and would never have noticed if I hadn’t read the book: Archie mentions that his stolen box had Mayan designs on it; guess whose box also happens to have Mayan designs on it? Hmm… Coincidence?

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

rtrooney - 15 April 2014 07:07 PM

As I certainly haven’t been a boy scout, and I haven’t done anything evil that I know of, I assume I am on the middle/bland path.

Don’t think I’d call Lombard street the bland path, just the normal path that most people will end up on. And the path the makes most sense for next game Overseer? (I think someone said this previously?)

I’m also on my first play through but also going back and playing as Evil Tex once I finish each day. Pretty interesting to see it, and to hear what others make of it here, but certainly see it as the extreme path.

Cheers
Nod

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Noddy - 19 April 2014 12:27 PM
rtrooney - 15 April 2014 07:07 PM

As I certainly haven’t been a boy scout, and I haven’t done anything evil that I know of, I assume I am on the middle/bland path.

Don’t think I’d call Lombard street the bland path, just the normal path that most people will end up on. And the path the makes most sense for next game Overseer? (I think someone said this previously?)

I agree, in fact I think Lombard Street is in many ways the best path through the game and the one with the best endings. BBD is a bit extreme and sometimes Tex falls out of character and acts in a way the the Tex I know and love would never do, it however still has some interesting and great scenes you won’t see on the other paths. As for MS it also has some nice extra scenes, but I have always found the ending a bit disappointing and not worth the trouble.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 19 April 2014 01:54 PM

I agree, in fact I think Lombard Street is in many ways the best path through the game and the one with the best endings. BBD is a bit extreme and sometimes Tex falls out of character and acts in a way the the Tex I know and love would never do, it however still has some interesting and great scenes you won’t see on the other paths. As for MS it also has some nice extra scenes, but I have always found the ending a bit disappointing and not worth the trouble.

Good to know. Fits in my plans of playing the game for the first time “as I wish” (i.e. a goody-two-shoes but one that doesn’t turn the other cheek) and ending up on Lombard, and then replaying to check out the Boulevard of Broken Dreams…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

In chapter 4 we basically solved the case we were hired to solve, but instead of just leaving it at that and walking away with the money, Tex decided that he would fight back against the NSA, and retrieve the Pandora Device for himself, Fitzpatric, Regan and/or the benefit of the whole world.

This also means that the game is no longer a simple detective story about solving a case, but instead a race against the NSA to retrieve the boxes Malloy sent out, getting the Pandora device and perhaps most important of all finding out what this device actually does. A task that will surely neither be easy nor without some danger involved.

And what better place to start than where it all began - Roswell, New Mexico!

No - We are not staring a different game, nor am I changing the format of this Community Playthrough or anything like that. But the game itself is changing character now, and Day 6 and for that matter also Day 7, is completely different from the preceding chapters and contains little to no dialogue at all, they are instead much more puzzle heavy and exploration based.

Day 6 is also a relative short chapter and in many ways more of a prelude to the larger and more difficult Day 7, than a full chapter in its own right. So you will only get 6 days to complete it and we will move on to Day 7 at Friday the 26 of April evening CET time-zone.

Tip of the Day: If I remember correctly and I believe I do, then it is possible to die near the end of this chapter, when setting of an explosion, so remember to save your game before this.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 19 April 2014 02:32 PM

Tip of the Day: If I remember correctly and I believe I do, then it is possible to die near the end of this chapter, when setting of an explosion, so remember to save your game before this.

Your memory is sound Iznogood but it’s not the only way to die during this part. The other way is blindingly obvious though.
Problem with this day is it is very short. It only took me 20 minutes to complete. Yes, I know what I’m doing of course, and I’m playing in Entertainment Mode, but even so. Actually, even in Gaming Mode there is only one extra puzzle included and that’s not very difficult. Bit of a brute trying to get maximum points against the though

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m ready!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Got through the chapter, it’s really small (specially knowing what to do) and just a warm up to the epicness of day 7 Smile
The other time I played took me a some time to figure out the laser grid puzzle, the others were not very hard and mostly involved a careful investigation.
What is closest you can be to not die in the final explosion. I got outside the building to be sure but maybe you don’t have to run laser maze again…
Nice acting the final cutscene poor Archie…

Jabod - 19 April 2014 03:04 PM

Problem with this day is it is very short. It only took me 20 minutes to complete. Yes, I know what I’m doing of course, and I’m playing in Entertainment Mode, but even so. Actually, even in Gaming Mode there is only one extra puzzle included and that’s not very difficult. Bit of a brute trying to get maximum points against the though

Yeah, the timer in the paper circles puzzle was incredibly fast, you basically have mo memorize it to get the maximum points, no? I was pretty fast this time and the extra points still hit zero…

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Problem with this day is it is very short. It only took me 20 minutes to complete.

I just checked the savegames from my last playthrough, where I had almost no recollection of what I needed to do, and it took me about an hour to play this chapter.

Whether that is slow or fast is something I will leave to your own judgement, but I think that it is about a reasonable time for this chapter, of course given that people don’t have problems getting through the laser grid. So yes, it is a very short chapter.

wilco - 19 April 2014 05:22 PM

What is closest you can be to not die in the final explosion. I got outside the building to be sure but maybe you don’t have to run laser maze again…

I do believe that you need to leave the building, though I’m no entirely sure that also means you have to run the laser maze… Tongue

wilco - 19 April 2014 05:22 PM

Nice acting the final cutscene poor Archie…

Entirely your own doing!

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 19 April 2014 05:49 PM

Problem with this day is it is very short. It only took me 20 minutes to complete.

I just checked the savegames from my last playthrough, where I had almost no recollection of what I needed to do, and it took me about an hour to play this chapter.

Whether that is slow or fast is something I will leave to your own judgement, but I think that it is about a reasonable time for this chapter, of course given that people don’t have problems getting through the laser grid. So yes, it is a very short chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t complaining about the time allotted to the chapter. Just because I could fit in playing immediately it doesn’t mean everyone could do the same. It might be people aren’t free to play until late in the week and, of course, first time players will not get through it at the speed you or I can do it at.
I bet you’re going to give a bit longer to the next chapter though!  Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 20 April 2014 08:31 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t complaining about the time allotted to the chapter.

Don’t worry, I didn’t understood your post as any kind of complaint.
But after seeing it could be done in 20 minutes, which is even faster than I expected, I just wanted to check what amount of time it would be reasonable to expect a first time player to use on this chapter, using my own last playthrough as a reference.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top