• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Freeware Scene of the Week

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

With AG Scenes of the Day, and AG’s own monthly Following Freeware, I figured all that is missing now is Freeware Scene of the Week! Smile

Along with Intense Degree’s AGS gaming journal and various freeware threads, perhaps we’ll manage to cover bunch of those freeware, mostly AGS, and not that well-known titles.

Also, even though I did play my share of freebies, it’s not nearly enough as to how many there is of it, so I’d like you to join under this rules:

1) Each user can post one scene per week
2) You need to give the name of the game (review or brief info is optional)

OK, let’s start:

Once Upon a Crime - you’re Red Riding Hood building a PI career, and in this scene you’re interrogating the 3 pigs who’re the suspects for the brutal beating of the Big Bad Wolf. Not only that a game is a homage to Brothers Grimm, but also to a various other works and Disney characters. (and to Simon the Sorcerer’s GUI Tongue)

I can easily recommend it, though beware of the ludicrous inventory puzzles and pixel hunting.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I forgot to mention, to avoid the confusion with AGSotD, we’ll keep all the scenes in this one thread, so you’re free to post yours here.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ooh I like the idea! There is quite a number of great and obscure games, hidden and forgotten gems among freeware adventures. Like this one, which I’ve never played Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Strange and Somewhat Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge by Jonas Kyratzes, drawn by Verena Kyratzes. Part of his Lands of Dreams series. I find the funny/sad, philosophical fantasy world this talented guy has created fascinating, with its mushrooms, the books with their unique titles, and Bob the Spider (Head of Quality Assurance). I love The Sea Will Claim Everything even more, but that one will cost you 10 dollars and this is a freeware thread. Jonas Kyratzes is a great writer and game designer, he deserves a bigger fan base than he’s got. I have high expectations of his Ithaka of the Clouds, funded at Indiegogo last year.

Here’s why you should play this game. Copied from his site.
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net/

In reality, The Strange and Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge is a transdimensional portal – but if your friends don’t believe you, tell them it is something of an old-school adventure game, with wonderful hand-drawn graphics, beautiful music and a lot of humour.  Or, if they’re more into feature lists, you could say something like this:

Colourful hand-drawn graphics!
Beautiful music!
A lot of humour! (Some of it funny.)
And some serious bits, too.
Red herrings! (Literal and metaphorical.)
A dinosaur in the garden!
Many fascinating characters to meet!
Non-linear structure! (More or less.)
More content than you can shake a wet carrot at!
The only inventory system ever to feature the “gerbelize” option!
Not a single annoying action sequence or minigame!
Brew potions! (Even some useful ones!)
A lot fewer exclamation marks than this list!
Freeware!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok, why does that dinosaur have a tiger’s stripes? (or, why does that tiger have a dinosaur’s head and tail? Gasp )

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The dinosaur’s name is Stripes. He was still an egg when Old Man Bill found him in the desert and took him home. If that doesn’t answer your question, you could try asking the spiderpig. Oh I forgot… he’s not talking to you. And the horaffe has no time for smalltalk, he is too busy taking care of the energy in the house. Maybe Harold the talking picture frame knows more about it?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Permanent Daylight (download) - if you want to know what kind of game to expect, you should know that the evil scientist in this game is called Dr. Really Really Evil Ed.

Not only he’s really, really evil, he’s also come up with the most ludicrous plan in the history of “evil plans” - he wants to stop the Earth rotation obviously sick by all the snow, causing Sun to shine on one half, but also -273 C on the other. You must stop him, naturally.

I’m replaying it right now, and other than being short, I remember good atmosphere (pun not intended Tongue) and solid, not too easy puzzles (with the Sierra-type interface).

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Now, to depress the hell out of everyone, here’s the story about the sick, dying boy whose only wish is to see the sea. Mourir en Mer (To Die at Sea) brings the twisted yet lovable sensibility only French know how to do to the usual adventure formula.

It’s categorized as “medium length” on AGS but it’s pretty short. Still, it manages to express itself fully even through only several screens. The inventory puzzles are of standard quality, along with some timed-quests. Here’s a review at Home of the Underdogs.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

This thread could use more activity. Smile

There Is No Game - a title that caught my eye when reading June’s Following Freeware. It’s playable here. Or not, since There Is No Game. Innocent

It’s about 15 minutes long (depending on how long it takes you to figure things out, or for the narrator to flat out tell you Tongue). It’s surreal and it’s hilarious (with lots of references - including Portal and Star Wars). But there is no game, so don’t play it. Except do. But you can’t, since there is no game. Maybe. Crazy

As short as it was, I had a blast, and was told the following by the missus: “Don’t laugh so loud, you’ll wake up the kids!” Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The game/non-game sounds intriguing Tim!

My thought is that as Intense Degree is posting a Freeware AGSotD each week now, that perhaps this thread doesn’t have the same relevance for the time-being as when diego started it? Also I’m quite conscious of posting a screenshot from a game that coincidentally might be from one that Intense Degree has planned to post himself?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The cake goat was a lie Grin

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I didn’t play the game not-a-game and I had no fun.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 07 August 2015 08:42 AM

My thought is that as Intense Degree is posting a Freeware AGSotD each week now, that perhaps this thread doesn’t have the same relevance for the time-being as when diego started it? Also I’m quite conscious of posting a screenshot from a game that coincidentally might be from one that Intense Degree has planned to post himself?

Well, I actually just wanted to post that I played a freeware game for once, but I didn’t want to start a new thread for it, and this seemed like the most convenient place to talk about it… Tongue

Besides, it’s more of a hybrid/freeware AG combination. It even features a small game of Arkanoid (that you don’t have to play if you don’t want - there is no game after all Tongue).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Maybe there should be another thread - ‘Has anyone played this?’ if you come across a game that doesn’t fit into the norm?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Rat Channel
“There is shit blocking the way”
“just get over with, your face is brown isn’t it?”  .. ouch! how fucking racist! but i like this little AG, lol

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’d love to see a top 10 freeware games list.

There’s a few on AGS that I’ve never got around to playing that come highly recommended such as Ben Jordan series and 5 days (series?).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top