• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished the first chapter, I think the writing is even better then the first game, laughed a lot during the court scenes. Also some cool twists already that I was not really expecting and little connections (and jokes) that connect to the first game. Usami is a fun new character.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

thejobloshow - 15 September 2014 08:44 AM

TOGAMI! My God, what happened to you. I fear he will not make it out of this adventure alive.

Indeed what the hell happened?!? Smile

thejobloshow - 15 September 2014 08:44 AM

I’m also wondering if the Ultimate Yakuza is actually a girl a la the gender swap in the first game.

I really hope they don’t use that twist for the 100h time in a adventure game!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished the first chapter, I think the writing is even better then the first game, laughed a lot during the court scenes. Also some cool twists already that I was not really expecting and little connections (and jokes) that connect to the first game. Usami is a fun new character.

I could not agree more - the first chapter was great and got me hooked on the game - I’m well into the second chapter now and the game’s plot is getting VERY interesting. I’m quite interested in how the heck this one is going to wrapup.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished chapter 4, the setting was so good!
Already 24h into the game, it’s a really long game (might be longer than the first one) but I think it might be my game of the year in the end, awazing stuff keeps happening.

Nagito is seriously a very annoying character… Of course it’s meant to be that way.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m just onto Deadly Life in Chapter 4. They’ve really upped the despair in this game. It’s so self-aware and clever and the World Ender cult feels much more palatable in this entry.

I think this might end up being my GOTY too.

Chapter 3 spoiler: Mikan being the killer has to be one of the great adventure game moments for me. It feels convenient and unbelievable at first but the more you think about it the more reasonable it appears. Mikan is EXACTLY the sort of person who would be taken in by the despair cult given her insecurities. Whether she had the disease or was always like this will perhaps be subject for debate in years to come…. unless they clear it up in the final chapter.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think it might be my game of the year in the end

It could end up being mine too. A very good game. It is very long and I love how it is playing out so far. This one and the first one I may replay back to back in a future date.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

DR2 is more extreme than DR1 in just about every way. The highs are higher, and the lows are lower.

Chapter 5 of DR2 is easily the best chapter of either game, by a landslide. But chapter 6 is a bit of a mess - pure exposition, little in the way of problem solving, and a twist that’s been so heavily telegraphed from the very beginning that there’s no real surprise to it.

Still an absolutely fantastic game. Komaeda adds more tension than Monobear’s ever really managed.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

DR2 is more extreme than DR1 in just about every way. The highs are higher, and the lows are lower.

I could not agree more. Overall, I’m very happy - but do have to agree with many reviews, the good points are better in the 2nd, and the bad points worse. If you didn’t like the minigames in the first, you will really NOT like them in the 2nd. However, I agree, Chapter 5 is stunning and the best in the series.

Heart

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Good good let the cult grow.

Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished it. Stellar ending. GOTY for sure.
The fifth case resolution was genius.

Now please bring the action spin-off Danganronpa:Another Episode here and start working on Danganronpa 3 Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I agree another brilliant adventure game my goty as well - however, topping this one will be a feat and I want virtues last reward 2 as well.

By far this the best game I bought this year for any system.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Mikekelly - 02 October 2014 09:15 PM

Does this also reflect on the story? Or would you say that the story has thoroughly improved compared to the first one.
Haven’t played any of the Danganronpa games yet. I have bought them however but I am kind of savouring them(currently playing Ace Attorney Investigations 2).

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Origami - 04 October 2014 03:18 PM
Mikekelly - 02 October 2014 09:15 PM

Does this also reflect on the story? Or would you say that the story has thoroughly improved compared to the first one.
Haven’t played any of the Danganronpa games yet. I have bought them however but I am kind of savouring them(currently playing Ace Attorney Investigations 2).

It DEFINITELY describes on the storytelling and plotting.

In terms of mystery writing:

DR2 absolutely assumes the player has played DR1, so it spends much less time teaching the rules of its world and much more time using them in elegant, crazy ways. One common complaint about “old-school mysteries” is that they reuse devices and tricks and even entire plots as people run out of ideas. That doesn’t usually happen here - many of the DR2 cases contain plot points that could only happen in the DR universe. In comparison, DR1’s cases were mostly old chestnut mysteries that could have happened in Ace Attorney.

Chapter 5 of DR2 is like the “Dangan Ronpa Final Exam.” It plays fair by its world’s rules but is still quite hard to guess correctly before the trial. It’s a real high point. But the final chapter takes this philosophy of making “cases that could only happen in DR” much, much too far, and is a total mess.

(Still enjoyed it, since it was a mess in intriguing ways, and the game had earned plenty of goodwill from me by then. So don’t let the promise of a bizarre ending dissuade you from buying the game; just know that chapter 5 is the REAL game climax, and everything after is kind of prefunctory.)

In terms of character writing/development:

The best characters in DR2 are way, waaaaaay more interesting than the best characters in DR1. The Chapter 5 mastermind is amazing.

The worst characters are… okay, about equally as bland as the blandest in DR1, or slightly blander. Even they have cooler character designs, though.

There are characters in DR2 I’ll never forget, and there are a few that I forgot before I finished the game. There are murders that are full of emotional torque and seem almost inevitable in hindsight, and there is also a murder setup that alters character personalities by what amounts to direct, arbitrary, sudden authorial intervention.

Puzzles:

Consistently better than DR1’s puzzles…

Except for (you guessed it) chapter 6.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree, everything except the finale was better than the first game. The build up for each case and trial sections were more interesting. The finale was still good and maybe it was the best way to connect all the stuff that happened through the game. The game continuing to be self conscious of the insane stuff happening in the last chapter made it enjoyable.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Chapter 5 of DR2 is like the “Dangan Ronpa Final Exam.” It plays fair by its world’s rules but is still quite hard to guess correctly before the trial.

So true. The killer in this chapter was a big surprize for me. Now how on earth they could do a Daganronpa 3 is beyond me. I’m glad to see they are discussing it.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top