• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeah, I think they got the idea straight from RPG’s, optional quests for loot. I think it’s brilliant, adding an rpg element to AG’s that doesn’t involve fighting. Unlike RPG’s the loot here would be only cosmetic, but ppl love that kind of thing, dressing up and stuff Tongue And it’s much more fun to solve puzzles for loot than slaying 200 wild boars or something. Many modern adventure games feels kind of empty too, and this could certainly help enrichen the gameworld, so I just love this idea.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

I think optional puzzles/“quests” are great as well, just not that crazy about “costumes” being the “reward” for solving them (unless they’re just additional payoffs).

I loved this in Darkness Within, there were quite a few optional/hidden puzzles, locations etc. that gave You additional insight into the back-story, characters, even one semi-plot-twist (maybe I’m stretching it with calling it that though) that I really didn’t see coming. It definitely made a second playthrough that more engaging, and solving/finding the optional features rewarding (but I suppose these kind of “payoffs” are more suited for a mystery game, than a comedic one).
Wish more games did it that way (and the Darkness Within devs made a comeback Wink )

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I am not so sure about the optional puzzles/quests. It works very well in RPG but in RPG you also get a reward for playing them, not just the actual reward but also experience which you need to become strong enough to play the main quests. In fact they are often not really that optional at all, but are in many games really more a question of what order you play them in or which 3 of 5 optional quest you chose to play. Without some similar incentive or need for playing at least some of them, then what is really their point in an adventure game?

It is an interesting idea and experiment, but whether or not it is also a good idea is something I think that we will have to wait and see.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Well, their optional. You DON’T need to play them. But they’re there if you want to experience more of the world and the characters, as opposed to some who just want to experience the essential story. I don’t see a problem with it.

What I would like with the “costumes-as-a-reward” thing is that, if whilst wearing different costumes, they trigger different comments from NPC’s…not necessarily in dialogue trees (although you could have an option where he/she asks people what they think about what they’re wearing), but just when you’re in a screen with the NPC and the character makes a comment about your attire. Could just be a really fun addition, I think.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It is really something that could go either way really. Either it’s just something little tackled on that has no real bearing to the game itself or it manages to bring something more than just “xtra puzzles” and “hats for everyone” to the game.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Instead of adopting rpg’s side quests formula,creating multiple endings and more
free choices for players would be much better.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Multiple endings could be a tad too expensive in this case given that the game itself is already done. Quests that have no real effect on the story are much simpler and easier to do. And those kind of puzzles do include at least some amount of free choice as well.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Well, we could be talking about something really big here, I would even say that TBOUT2 could maybe succeed, where The Broken Age failed miserably, in triggering a new golden age of the adventure games.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Bogi - 15 February 2014 04:37 PM

TBOUT2 could maybe succeed, where The Broken Age failed miserably, in [s]triggering a new golden age of the adventure games[/s]triggering a new golden age of adventure games that take several months to complete, after releasing only half of the game.

FYP.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Well, we could be talking about something really big here, I would even say that TBOUT2 could maybe succeed, where The Broken Age failed miserably, in triggering a new golden age of the adventure games.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

How did Broken Age fail miserably?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i must say, the multi-copy tiers could use a little re-working… for example at $1000 you get $900ish worth of copies of the games (45 game codes) and no other rewards. Very strange.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-08-15

PM

There is a new update including a new video: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I gotta say, those visuals are stunning!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-08-15

PM

If you want to take a short first look at the game, you can do so here:

The video shows what we have worked on in the last weeks and provides a first impression of the game. Feel free to give us feedback on it!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top