• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I am a bit conflicted about this one, but I decided to back it anyway.

I think BoUT is one of the best games of recent years, I think TCC was quite good and I hated the Raven. But my concern is not the decline in quality from KingArt, which I’m sure is just a series of unfortunate events, it is the whole idea of turning to Kickstarter with a game that is already funded that troubles me.

At first glance it might look like the best of two worlds, the game is made regardless of whether or not the Kickstarter is successful, and our money is used to make the game bigger and better. But I really prefer to know that my money makes a difference, that I helped a game getting made that wouldn’t have been made if it wasn’t for me and all the other backers, and if we look at what they plan to spend our money on, then it really doesn’t sound all that important to me, like it really will be bigger and better because of the Kickstarter.

Of course one of the reasons that neither Critter or Raven lived up to the expectations might very well have been that the budget wasn’t high enough. So is I said, I am a bit conflicted.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

I never understood the hate for the Critter Chronicles. I really enjoyed that game, knowing it was essentially an “add-on pack” for BOUT. Of course, I didn’t pay that much for it and felt I got good value for the money. I also never had a problem with Nate’s character. Like Rufus in Deponia, I enjoyed playing a character who was kind of a jerk, feeling it was kind of liberating. Tongue And the ending to TCC was one of the very few AGs in a long, long time that had me cheering, laughing and jumping out of my seat.

I think this might become my first KS contribution ever.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

I’ve only played part 1, and liked it a great deal. I got both on a super-sale from GoG last year. After reading what you have to say, notanumber, as well as the others, I think I shall have to play Critter Chronicles very soon so I know what *I* think about it. Smile

I haven’t had a chance to play the Raven game(s) yet. I didn’t even realize they were from the same developer.

As for the Kickstarter, I don’t currently have the ability to contribute, but the details for the next game look pretty good to me. I guess I understand them wanting to improve their budget, and we are likely to like the game better if they succeed, but I understand iznogood’s reservations too. So many teams are trying to get games off the ground for the first time, and this competes with those efforts.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Iznogood - 11 February 2014 08:43 PM

Of course one of the reasons that neither Critter or Raven lived up to the expectations might very well have been that the budget wasn’t high enough.

I think that pretty much hits it on the button, atleast that’s how I see it. By each of King Arts releases, there’s been increasing evidence of a decreasing budget. My guess is that the current state of funding for BOUT2 allows them to make a small game as buggy and lacking in responses as The Raven, which would not be a worthy successor to Book of Unwritten Tales. If “prepurchasing” an allready funded game on Kickstarter can help ensure that the game is rich in content and free of childhood illnesses, then I’m all for it. I wish I had this option to every release I look forward to. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s sad that our beloved genre allways has to make budget compromise, just about every adventure release from the past 15 years have suffered from it, to varying degree. This genre deserves better, and if that can be achieved by paying up front, then take my money, take all of it! Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

New comic and video. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I have yet to play Book of Unwritten Tales but their other kickstarter venture Battle Worlds: Kronos turned out fine so I’ll also back this.
I think these kind of kickstarters to complete or add something to games always sound like a safe bet so I feel they are great idea for indie developers to get some more fund.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-02-12

PM

I didn’t back this project because I got a game-ending crash bug at the start of ACT 3 in the original.(right after the cemetery bit, I really tried to get it working.)

Yeah, I am kinda bitter.  Cry

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Aaand, now I’ve backed it. I love their Kickstarter videos! I think Wilbur was the funniest and most memorable character from BOUT by far, and his absence was a notable detriment to TCC in my opinion. I’m glad he’s back Smile

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I want more of these video updates with Wilbur. The latest one was hilarious. Smile

He’s one of my favourites from all of adventure gaming.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Lol,what a ridiculous campaign was it ,they could’ve collect 650.000 easily for necessary enhancements instead of asking pocket money.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Nah, they’re not going any where near half a million. I think they’ll top off somewhere a bit over 200k, which isn’t a bad sum at all. They even might get that directors cut stretch down.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’ll say a bit under 190k as the finish. Hopefully.

These things have an alarming tendency to come to a grinding halt, especially with the required amount having already been well and truly cleared.

It’s always easy to say…“should have asked for more!” but it’s hard to judge.

I do worry a little about the money spent on the rewards though…

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That is true and from the looks of it the pledges have already tapered down quite a bit. I still think about 200k is in the realm of possibility.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Almost at the 95k strech goal now. Optional quests with costume rewards sounds like a great idea to me.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s pretty interesting thing to try out in an adventure game for sure. I can’t recall that many adventure games that did had lot of unnecessary puzzles just for the heck of it.

Pandora Directive had a couple that were not strictly necessary to be solved, but other than that I’m drawing blank.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top