• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age story discussion (includes spoilers!)

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-02-03

PM

Karlok - 04 February 2014 08:55 AM
OverflowURS - 03 February 2014 10:03 AM

strong]What is a Mog Creature? So the Mog is actually a doubly-deceiving artificial creature: to Shay the Mog is a space ship and to everyone outside of it it’s a sea monster that eats people.

That can’t be entirely true. How does a sea monster get up to the clouds of Meriloft?

Well, the Mog appears to be a sea monster in the sense that it usually emerges from the sea. But once he’s out of the water you can clearly see that it levitates in the air. So it wasn’t that hard for it to get to some clouds I guess.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-01-31

PM

OverflowURS - 03 February 2014 10:03 AM

These are my guesses to the questions raised by Act 1. They are both logical and simple. Even if the official explanations we’ll get in the second act won’t be exactly equal to these ones, they’ll most probably have parts of these answers in them (because they simply make a lot of sense):

Tell me what you think about these theories.

DISCLAIMER: Before I start, I have to warn you that for some reason the spoiler code wasn’t working properly for me. So, **THIS POST HAS A LOT OF SPOILERS. DON’T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON’T WANT SPOILERS**. You’ve been warned.

I like the idea of a potential sickness. It fits in with the mention of a plague dam and the lifespan of the boys, girls and mogs. But it still doesn’t explain why they change the mother and father computer with each cycle. It seems pretty morbid that they could just get wiped out of existence for no reason at all. And beyond that, I feel like everything in this game has a reason. I also think the mog is more than just a sea monster/space ship. I agree with the above poster: how would a sea monster get up in the clouds to Meriloft? Edit: OK the levitation kind of makes sense but I still think there’s more to it.

The magic and low-tech ideas you have are relatively explainable, but really, the only things I didn’t question were the talking trees, the floating clouds and that kind of weird stuff. I just assumed them to be part of the dystopia—but you could be right and that explanation makes sense, but for some reason it doesn’t sit well with me. Not sure why.

I agree that Marek isn’t the Mom computer, but not just because he doesn’t call Shay ‘sweety’. I’m pretty sure someone mentioned previously that he could be some kind of alien, or something along those lines? I liked that idea. I also like the idea of him being the moon dad, as you mentioned. Either of those explanations would explain why he’s always in a wolf suit and the latter justifies why they are never in the same screen. Plus the dad moon seems like he’s got such a small role - I take that to mean that he’s either Marek or has a big role in the next part.

Also, a question I forgot to ask in my initial post; what does anyone think is the ‘surprise’ behind the door that Shay isn’t allowed into? I’m really intrigued by it, as well as the snake which you can’t get past in Vella’s story. Maybe they’re parallel ‘surprises’/paths?

Joined 2014-02-10

PM

I finally played through last night and loved it, can’t wait for the second act!  Here’s my question:

How did Merrick know ahead of time on each mission that it would be a problem to “save” the last creature?  Each time it was presumably Vella, but especially the first time there should have been no way to know that she would attack the mog from the mog’s point of view.

I like a lot of the ideas being tossed around here!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I think Marek is trying to teach Shay a lesson… “you can’t save them all”, that sort of thing. This lines up with the bird girl who gets left behind in Meriloft—not Vella.

Then in the second two missions there are actually warning bells and stuff going on that indicates the ship is in danger, so he doesn’t want to waste time getting out of there. These “the ship is under attack” moments line up with Vella resisting Mog Chothra.

Joined 2014-02-10

PM

Ah fair enough, that makes sense

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-02-10

PM

Also, a question I forgot to ask in my initial post; what does anyone think is the ‘surprise’ behind the door that Shay isn’t allowed into? I’m really intrigued by it, as well as the snake which you can’t get past in Vella’s story. Maybe they’re parallel ‘surprises’/paths?

I think that those are just the paths that Vella and Shay will take in Part 2.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The more I think about the people in Vella’s world, the more I agree with Alex—they are extremely strange. For instance, the cult that arose around Alex and his ship—the temple guards think they can do a better job guarding the place if they blind themselves. And in Meriloft, the people think they become “lighter” and more spiritual if they remove letters from their names. (I have a funny feeling this is a reference to all the apostrophes used in the names in Myst Uru.)

There doesn’t seem to be a significant focus on reality among these people. I’m not sure you can trust what most of these characters say. Mog Chothra may not have demanded a sacrifice—it may have simply come rampaging through every 14 years, grabbing a few random people, and the towns themselves came up with the Maiden Sacrifice, and the idea that it “saved the town” just as a way to cope with a threat they couldn’t overcome, but knew would return. The people organizing these sacrifices actually seem to enjoy doing it. It makes them important.

On the other hand—if someone believes something outrageous strongly enough, the world seems to accommodate them. The lumberjack is certain the trees are sentient—something no one else is aware of—and (surprise!) they are (or they are becoming that way). And the shoes that keep people from falling through the clouds. They shouldn’t work, but everyone believes they work, so they do.

Hmm. Not sure I’m really getting anywhere with any of this.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-02-03

PM

Becky - 11 February 2014 03:04 PM

Hmm. Not sure I’m really getting anywhere with any of this.

Actually, your observations sound quite right to me.

First time when Vella meets the talking tree, she asks him something like “Are you magic? I’ve never seen a talking tree before.” but the question quickly gets skipped over and ignored as if wanting to avoid explaining the cause of that “magic”.

Also, Alex said he couldn’t talk and communicate properly with these people so that’s why he went into cryo, 300 years ago. It can be that people in Shay’s party have managed to open some sort of rift between reality and some other dimension, something like “story reality” or “limbo dreaming realm”. Alex’s spaceship wasn’t really traveling space but rather dimensions. He went throw the reality portal and this is where he end up, in this sort of dreamland. The plague dam could also be the reality frontier.

Joined 2014-02-14

PM

Well, by reading homestuck I can figure out a few time rules here.
What I’ve gathered is:

*When broken, timelines can intersect between eachother creating a whole new timeline in itself. And when that happens, it can interfere with anyone’s lives and how fate is interpreted.

*It leads me to believe when a new timeline is made, everything happens spontaneously. (So maybe when we find out that shay was mog chothra, maybe it happened because the stories between eachother were similar, so fate interpreted it to be like that.And possibly, even Marek didn’t know that he was technically eating maidens.)

*IF mog chothra was Shay’s ship, then the inside was most possibly hollow WITH Shay’s ship inside.

But, what should I know, you know. I’m just waiting for act 2.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

i know this thread is supposed to be for the people who played the game, but then again, please use either the spoiler tag or warn in the beginning of the post cause I saw some big fat spoilers up there and you could ruin some lurker’s fun that way Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Imo, it should be unecessary to add spoiler tags in a thread where just about every single post is a spoiler. A thread titled “story discussion” should be warning enough in itself. It should be obvious not to lurk in threads where a game’s story is being discussed if you’re worried about spoilers, no? The thead title even says it includes spoilers, I don’t know if this was added as a result of your post, or if it was allways there, but even without it, the thread title should be warning enough in itself Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

well, yes, the title does say (includes spoilers!). I for instance could be misled by all the other spoiler tags and could presume that all the other text concerns story and other subjects besides the major plot twist, but oh well, on the other hand you are right that a story thread with big warning in the title is no place for a person who hasn’t finished the game Smile

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I just found the time to complete Act 1 (with a newborn time vanishes into thin air Smile)
Loved it, can’t wait for act 2, but I hope Tim will increase the gamemechanics complexity a bit (not the story, that’s complicated enough Wink ).
I first played Vella, got stuck at the very end, and then played Shay. For me the maiden rescue link was somehow obvious from the start of shay’s storyline.

I wish it would have been possible to hijack Marek’s plans, as he seems bad from the start. But I guess Shay is too gullible and has no clue Wink When I found the needle I was like: yes, time to alter the starmap Marek gives you, but too bad that was not possible…

Some other tidbids: I wonder how many players encountered the snake, as for act 1 he’s just a red herring. Also the fruit was kind of tricky to get, moreover also way too easy to lose (you can have Vella eat it, give it to Kurt, etc). 

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Oh and I hope for act 2 we get to explore lots of new locations, and not too many recycled from the same ones from act 1. Especially on the ship with Vella that might be an issue…
I remember that I was always a bit disappointed with the latest Telltale’s Sam and Max and TOMI episodes that recycled too much of the old scenery, without substantial updates.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeah, that’s one of the things I disliked about TTG’s Sam & Max. I’ve only played the first season, and I think it will be a long time before I go on to the second. I’m really sick of the office/street scenery.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top