• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Danganronpa

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Has anyone played this fantastic Japanese adventure game?

It’s kind of a cross between Phoenix Wright and 999, with some Battle Royale thrown in as well.  Although it makes sure you solve the cases yourself much more than Phoenix Wright does.

The premise is that you’re one of the new students at the top high school in Japan.  Only students that excel in some special way are allowed in (i.e. the best young writer, singer, athlete, etc.)

However after entering the school for the first time you find yourself trapped there with 14 other students.  And you’re told that the only way any of the students will be allowed to escape is if they kill one of the other students and get away with it.  After any murders there’s an investigation period, and then a class trial where if you don’t solve the case and all of the related mysteries, everyone but the murderer will be executed.

The English release won’t be until next month on the PS Vita, but there’s a great fan translation of the PSP version that can be found via Google.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Brilliant game. Only thing I didn’t really like were the machinegun talk segments - felt out of place and unnecessary.

I think I was even more impressed by the PSP fan translation patch! Definitely one of the best I’ve come across.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Agreed, the machine gun talk segments were my least favorite part.  But I found once you get that ability to hold down the L button you can just do that the whole time and win them very fast.

Also I played with the action minigames on medium difficulty, which isn’t too tough if you’re okay with a bit of action gameplay.  But anyone that doesn’t like any action in their games should probably go with easy.

I definitely recommend playing with the logic difficulty on the highest setting for anyone here.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yep, its very good. In a way its what i had wanted from 999. And its definitely better than the most recent phoenix wright. The machine gun battles would have to be its biggest weakness.. not only because the mechanic is kind of awkward, but because they typically happen at times in the plot where it doesnt make sense that the culprit would have a shot of convincing the group that they didnt do it. Its like.. youve completely proven someones guilt.. and then if they scream loud enough.. people dont vote against them anyway..? It doesnt feel real believable. But the plot is otherwise solid and very fun.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Yeah, agreed.  I think it did what 999 was going for better than 999 did.  Possibly because the translation is better.  999 feels really wordy and drawn out at times, whereas Danganronpa is a roller coaster from beginning to end.

I so want to play the sequel to both games, but I don’t have a PS Vita.  Instead I’ll have to wait for Danganronpa 2’s fan translation to finish.  Though it probably will take quite a while.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Major spoilers for the endings of both 999 and Danganronpa:

Ha, I didn’t even think about how Maizono knowing the protagonist from childhood was similar to June knowing the protagonist of 999 from childhood.  Maybe that similarity was used on purpose to make you suspicious of her, only to leave you not knowing what to expect after she’s killed off surprisingly fast.

999 definitely had the better twist at the end of the game, and the ending was more thought provoking.  It really made me want to play the sequel.  Danganronpa’s ending worked better emotionally though, IMO.

Major spoilers for Danganronpa only:

I was really hoping that the culprit would be one of the survivors at the end.  A bit disappointed they didn’t go that route.  But Togami would’ve been a bit too obvious, and Hagakure would’ve been kind of obvious too, as we seemed to know the least about him.  Would’ve been the cliched villain that was playing dumb all along.  So I only would’ve been surprised if it were one of the surviving women, none of which I could see being the culprit at all.

Or Naegi himself (before having his own memories erased).  I thought for a while they may go that route and that would’ve been interesting.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Depends a little on what you prefer.  I would say DanganRonpa is certainly faster paced, but as mentioned the machinegun elements are annoying, the story is goofier, and to be blunt, the game handholds you through and is ridiculously easy.  All of that is not to say that it isn’t a very good game, because I enjoyed it immensely, but I feel like 999 did more for me overall with a deeper story, more gameplay, and more challenging gameplay.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I wasn’t a fan of 999’s gameplay.  It was just very easy, simple puzzles that had nothing to do with the story, and I found them to be complete time wasters.  And they’d hand hold you through the puzzles much worse than they ever did in Danganronpa.

For me what was interesting about 999 was the story and the different paths, and the different paths obviously added a different element.  But again, it did feel a bit wordy at times, possibly due to a not so great translation.

With Danganronpa they would help you through solving the mystery in the trials, but honestly I solved or nearly solved most of the cases before they went to the trials.  You could usually figure most of it out just by reviewing the evidence and thinking about different possibilities.  And something like that is totally not possible in Phoenix Wright for example, with all the crazy twists and turns that each case has.

If you play the game that way I think the difficulty was pretty good (with just a few too many hints during the investigation phase).  It just involves figuring things out way ahead of the main character.  Which is a minor annoyance at times, but it’s a common thing in the mystery genre, when it’s possible to solve the case ahead of time.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Played both games, and read the first novel (Danganronpa/Zero.

The first game had good ideas, excellent voice acting and atmosphere, but the mysteries themselves were ridiculously easy, with me being able to guess every every ‘turnabout’ in the classroom trials in the investigation parts already. Super Danganronpa 2 was a vast improvement; the mysteries were set-up much better, and some information would only be given during the trials, leaving more surprises in the latter half of each chapter. Also, the story was much better, but it also included the first game’s story in a meaningful (and quite meta) way. I loved Super Danganronpa 2, but a lot of it works because it interacts with the first game at many levels.

But I. Hate. The. Action. Parts. Machine Gun Talk, I can live with that because I also play rhythm games. But Super Danganronpa 2‘s Cross Swords? I can’t even count the times I got stuck in a loop there because I couldn’t cut enough words….

And Danganronpa/Zero was awful. I have better hopes for the Kirigiri prequel novels (because Kitayama Takekuni wrote them), but I’d better wait for every thing to be released / wait for a cheaper pocket release.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I played the PSP one with the translation, very good game, I hope the official western Vita release gets enough sales for the sequels to be released here. I’ll probably be playing it again.
I wouldn’t say better or then 999 and Phoenix, just different and more fast-paced. I loved the final parts of the courts stage where you had to piece the whole story together.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

For those who know Japanese, you might wanna try Detective Conan & Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (DS); it’s written by the same scenario writer (Kodaka Kazutaka).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The VITA now has well over 7 million units sold so it is now a success and with Persona 4 Golden sales over 700,000 units the VITA has a secure future.

The VITA reminds me of the Nintendo DS in 2006 in that it is getting lots of adventure games.

My guess is it is because of the touch screen - I myself enjoy playing adventure games using the touch screen.

I have already bought my copy of this game and will pick it up on day one. I suspect it will be one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played:

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I didnt like latest Phoenixwright much, and hope Ronpa series doesnt become
another layton or PW. Too much dragging kills unless something new is done
completely. Exactly the reason why Ronpa Machinegun battles feel good
intense refresher after PW recycled court drama.
999 is not a match since its Visual Novel.

The crazy writing is something Japanese comeup with usually, thanks to Manga culture, but Takadas music and VAs made me fan of Ronpa series.

@Wiico
Hope we get DR2 Fan translation earlier than official word

@tanteikid

You seem to know japanese , any luck on Silvercase ??

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 11 January 2014 08:08 AM

Hope we get DR2 Fan translation earlier than official word

Do you know anything if anybody started work on the fan translation? Can’t find anything.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Tantei KID - 11 January 2014 07:24 AM

For those who know Japanese, you might wanna try Detective Conan & Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (DS); it’s written by the same scenario writer (Kodaka Kazutaka).

An English fan patch is being worked on, I believe they’re aiming for a release this year - http://www.youtube.com/user/DCTP001?feature=watch

I take it that you need to have a decent following of both series to fully appreciate the game? I’ve only read a few volumes of Detective Conan, and watched only one TV special of Kindaichi lol

wilco - 11 January 2014 11:02 AM

Do you know anything if anybody started work on the fan translation? Can’t find anything.

Project Zetsubou are working on it, but are waiting to see if NISA release an official version or not - http://danganronpa.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/plans-for-the-future/

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Trickless - 11 January 2014 11:24 AM

Project Zetsubou are working on it, but are waiting to see if NISA release an official version or not - http://danganronpa.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/plans-for-the-future/

Thanks, glad to know the same team is on board even if it will take a while. But I do think Danganronpa can find a good audience in the west, these niche titles seem to be doing good on the Vita.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top