• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Catyph

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

You asked about stores and I pointed out that you only have one store, Steam.  Any interest in selling it drm free on other sites like Humble?  Your humble version is just steam.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thank you darthmaul. I was only trying to explain why I chose itch.io, so it wasn’t really a question, sorry if it wasn’t clear. But I apreciate your help.
Yes the Humble version gives Steam keys, the other choices are Steam (drm-free) and itch.io (direct download).
I don’t know Humble well. They asked me to give Steam keys, which I did. I believe that the keys would be useful in a few years, if I decided to add the game into a bundle.

@Advie: If you feel ready to try the game, thank you, and I hope that you will like it. It is probably true that I shouldn’t try to please everyone: I know it is impossible, but I spent 2 years on creating the game, and that’s quite a lot of time in a life.
I see that you too try to please people with your music, by practicing again and again. It’s tough, but sometimes we receive positive feedback that make all the difference. Good luck and continue to entertain people!

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Steam is DRM by default.  You have to jump through hoops to make it pseudo DRM free.  humble has options, depending on the developer’s submission, to offer both Steam and DRM free copies.  I recommend talking to them if you are willing to market to the DRM free audience.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

darthmaul - 20 June 2016 12:45 PM

Steam is DRM by default.  You have to jump through hoops to make it pseudo DRM free.

Steam is DRM free by default! Most developers choose to use the built-in antipiracy protection, and as a result the majority of games can only be played through the Steam software. However if you upload a DRM free game on Steam, it stays DRM free if you don’t protect the files. And then this game can be played without going through Steam, from any folder on any hard drive = without restrictive technologies.
That is why I often say ASA and Catyph are DRM free on Steam.

darthmaul - 20 June 2016 12:45 PM

humble has options, depending on the developer’s submission, to offer both Steam and DRM free copies.  I recommend talking to them if you are willing to market to the DRM free audience.

Thanks to your advice I could finally get access to the dashboard upload options, and I have added a DRM free copy of Catyph on Humble, coming along with the Steam key.
ASA Remastered is coming soon too.

It’s Autumn Sale on Steam and the Black Cube Bundle is -28% (ASA+Catyph together)!

I would like to take this opportunity to give some news. You may already know that I have decided to make a pause in the development of 2d/old-school Myst-like games for a while (some people made it clear that I should definitely stop here), so I will probably not create an “ASA 3” before long (if ever), but the Black Cube series continues. I have recently released the 2nd episode of a comics named ANTERRAN, a prequel to ASA illustrated by US artist John Carvajal.

Also if there are developers around here who like to get involved in game jams from time to time, I’m very happy to invite you to the “space adventure” Jam! Indeed, with The Icehouse collective we are going to host the BlackCube Jam in December, a 6 days challenge where we will create exploration games (demos/protos) inspired by scifi, space, black cubes and other mysteries. I hope we’ll be many to create very different things, but at least we’re several devs from The Icehouse to get involved. You can learn more on the dedicated page on GameJolt (link above). Of course I will participate. You can encourage us and follow our progress starting on December 12th.

Other projects will be revealed in the BC series soon.
I am also preparing my next game project, which will be set in a cartoon world. That will be very different of the Black Cube series and I am still unsure of the result, so it’s probably too early to talk about it. I still need to make some tests and it takes longer than I expected.
If you want to support me concretely, you can visit my new page on Patreon and read my presentation. Even if you are not interested in giving money, you’ll learn more about me, see my face and discover my passion for gardening Wink

Thanks for reading. There are more and more adventure game releases so I hope you’re all happy and busy! -Simon

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-03-02

PM

Very interesting the Black Cube JAM, I’m going to participate with my team and we are thinking of creating something different but related with the Black Cube universe of course.

I see that there is already a specific website for the jam:
http://www.theblackcube.fr/blackcubejam.html

Great!

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Awesome, I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with! Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Many thanks, Sir Beardalot. It’s very important to have your support. I know that you’ve been following the progress of my games regularly here on AG, and it really means a lot. 
Have you had the opportunity to play Catyph already?

Juanjo, yes! I’m waiting for your participation in the BlackCube Jam Grin
We’re going to have interesting participants, so I expect some good prototypes/demos in the end. Six days is short to create games, but here I hope that the devs will more focus on their ideas, and will try to continue to make their games even after the Jam is finished (if they like their project of course).

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Hi Simon. Yes, I have played Catyph and was very pleased with it. I thought you did an outstanding job! I could have sworn I sent you a message after I finished it? Anyway, I know it’s probably unlikely that we will see another cube game, but regardless of what you do yo will always have my support Smile

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I’m glad that you enjoyed it!
Oh I don’t remember if I received your message, but if I did you can be sure that it pleased me a lot and encouraged me.
However if I never replied to you, it’s more likely that I didn’t receive it, unfortunately. I often crumble under too many emails, facebook/twitter notifications, Icehouse community and all the people who cooperate with me… I’m doing my best to answer as soon as possible to everyone, but sometimes I miss something for various reasons.

I know it’s probably unlikely that we will see another cube game

On the contrary I hope that you will see many other Cube games! Smile What you’ll probably not see in the meantime is a new “A Space Adventure” game (ASA, Catyph, Myha…), but I want to continue to work on the Black Cube series as much as I can - but if possible not on my own: I try to focus on new partnerships, and it can take some time before it ever happens and gives some fruits.

It is true that I don’t want to make a 2D Myst-like again for a long while (it is now clear that most people prefer full3D games nowadays, and that I failed to create a convincing gameplay in my last games). So yes, I will stop this part of my activity and you won’t see ASA3 before long. But it doesn’t mean I’ll never do it, and there is still the possibility that I create shorter Myst-like games such as Myha from time to time.

Moreoever, there are other kinds of projects that are possible in the Black Cube series. I want to try different things and maybe convince other people that the whole project is rich and has some potential. It may be done through my collective The Icehouse, where we try to cooperate whenever we can (the comics ANTERRAN is a good example).

I also have some unfinished projects such as the original book that initiated ASA, or my paused project of RPG The Black Tower, which I still want to revive one day.

There will also be the Black Cube Game Jam this month, which might give birth to new interesting demos or prototypes, and their creators might eventually be motivated to cooperate and finish these projects (who knows?). It will also depend on the requests from everyone, what people want to see (if anything at all).
At least I can confirm that I will make a Black Cube prototype during this Game Jam, and if I’m happy with the result, I might consider working on a full version.

As you can see, there is still hope to see another cube game one day Smile I’m not ready to give up yet despite all the troubles I went through this year. Since the release of Catyph I never stopped fighting to continue! I have even released a first secret video on my Patreon of a possible game that might come next year. I hope I can tell more soon, more officially.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

That all sounds pretty exciting to me! Best of luck Smile

Also, maybe you should mention the Black Cube Jam at the Adventure Maker forum. Maybe that will add a spark to the community and to anyone who doesn’t know about it yet.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Oh yes, that’s an excellent idea!

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Never saw your reply til today.  Missed the sale!  Glad to hear your games are on humblebundle now. 

It is a shame that you are not continuing the series right now, but I understand how niche such games are.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi!
If some of you are interested in acquiring a copy of Catyph, there will soon be a giveaway on indieDB:
http://www.indiedb.com/giveaways/catyph-the-kunci-experiment

Good luck!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

The Catyph giveaway is started! 15 hours left to win a Steam key.
http://www.indiedb.com/giveaways/catyph-the-kunci-experiment
Please help me by spreading the word if you already own the game and liked it!

If you missed this giveaway, there will be sales on Steam and Humble in May for the 1st anniversary of the game.

In May I will try to participate to the Adventure Jam:
http://jams.gamejolt.io/advjam2017

Currently I’m finishing the development of my game Boïnihi. Release planned in May too
http://www.adventuregamers.com/news/view/32529

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top