• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full-motion video (FMV) adventure games

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Looks like there isn’t a thread about FMV adventure games in the new forum, so I thought I’d make a new one.

First, The X-Files TV show has its 20th anniversary this year, and Edge recently posted a new article about the making of the FMV X-Files game. It also includes a new interview with the game’s creative director, Greg Roach. Recommended!
http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-making-of-the-x-files/

One of the reasons the game is interesting, IMO, is that it’s supposed to be the first (only?) attempt at a FMV blockbuster, with a budget of $6 million (the production began in 1994).

Here’s another, older, “making of…” by Jason VandenBerghe, one of the programmers and the producer on the Playstation port. I’ve only read the first page, but so far it’s an interesting read as well.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131811/postmortem_hyperbole_studios_the_.php

Finally, I could do with some recommendations - most of the threads in the archived forum are a bit old…

I’ve only played Gabriel Knight 2, The X-Files and The Pandora Directive (liked all of them), so I’m a bit green when it comes to FMV adventure games. But basically I’m interested in all types of FMV AG: Comedy AG, serious or dark AG, traditional AG, interactive movies, good games in the traditional sense, and games that are so bad/cheesy they are good.

So, what should I play - old and new? Relevant platforms I own is a PC and a PS3 (it also plays PS1 and PS2 games). Please mention if the games are good in the traditional sense or are in the craptastic category.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

All those three games that you already played are one of the best FMV games eve released so you had a good start. Here are some games that I played and liked so maybe you will like them too: Under a killing moon, Morpheus, Journeyman Project 3, Zork Grand Inquisitor, Toonstruck, Ripper, The Riddle of Master Lu, these are all great games, you could also try both Phantasmagoria games but those two are a little weird games.

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I could see myself playing at least some of them. Ripper and Toonstruck are already on my list of games to play or to research a bit more.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I suggest Black Dahlia.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Black Dahlia has some sadistic puzzles though. But it has a good story and a good cast.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I’m really keen on playing Black Dahlia, it looks really awesome. I have also heard that is has got some insane puzzles, so that is why I have not picked it up. Don’t get me wrong, I do like some serious puzzles, but there is a limit of how much I can take. Smile

Does anyone know where I can download this game? Also will it run properly on Windows 7?

Thanks

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

You can find it at Amazon or eBay. It is not distributed anymore, I think. But it worth the effort to get it. It’s a great game, great story and great cast. And terrible puzzles (in the hard to solve way). But you can skip them if you want. Oh, and works fine in Win 7.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

UruBoo - 29 November 2013 06:29 AM

Oh, and works fine in Win 7.

The only way I ever managed to run it on Win 7 64-bit was in VirtualBox. It did weird stuff when trying to run it natively.

(I should actually go and play it someday.)

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

[s]You need a patch to make it run in Win 7, and it seams to work just for the 32-bit systems. [/s] So, it does not work in Win 7 “right-out-of-the-box”, you need to tweak a bit to do so, but I know it runs cause I did it. I’ll check my documents and post here the steps to make it run.

[Edit: To make the game work properly on Windows 7 x64, I had to enable the following Compatibility options for the main executable BD_WIN.exe: Run in 256 colors, Run in 640x480 screen resolution, Disable visual themes and Disable desktop composition. I just reinstalled the game and tested it myself.]

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-11-29

PM

Consider playing The 7th Guest. I’ve still got memories of many of the puzzles in that game, and that must surely be a good thing. Add to that a memorable cast, a haunting environment and a fantastic soundtrack (the game came with a separate CD chock full of misic, and I still remember all the lyrics of the song “The Game”, which was kind of the recurring tune used during gameplay), and you’ve got a winner.

Considering that you seem to be interested in the stories behind the games here’s some cake for you: http://victorianrobot.tumblr.com/post/13326107595. This article is a detailed account of the rise and fall of Trilobyte, the studio responsible for the development of The 7th Guest. A fascinating read, though I had to search the interwebs for a while before managing to locate it again!

P.S.: If you do pick up the game and end up trying to beat the ‘reversi’ sort of puzzle, you will learn the frustration of not being able to outwit the AI… until the day you eventually do, which you will mark as a day of great acheivment, and want the rest of the world to declare an international holiday in universal celebration.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Duke - 29 November 2013 10:16 AM

P.S.: If you do pick up the game and end up trying to beat the ‘reversi’ sort of puzzle, you will learn the frustration of not being able to outwit the AI… until the day you eventually do, which you will mark as a day of great acheivment, and want the rest of the world to declare an international holiday in universal celebration.

The reversi puzzle AI is dependant on the speed of the CPU. The faster it is, the more moves the AI can think ahead and the harder it is to beat. On a modern computer, that puzzle is going to be damn near impossible (it already was 20 years ago if your PC overshot the requirements for the game) unless you use a lot of programs to artificially slow down your CPU…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Thanks for mentioning Black Dahlia and The 7th Guest. BD happens to be on my list, so that’s assuring. It’s not impossible I’ll pick up The 7th Guest, if I can find it on sale, since it’s not a high priority game for me - it seems a bit too puzzle-heavy for my taste, but I need to do some research to be sure Smile

Duke: Thanks for the link, I look forward to reading it!

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-11-29

PM

TimovieMan - 29 November 2013 01:19 PM

The reversi puzzle AI is dependant on the speed of the CPU. The faster it is, the more moves the AI can think ahead and the harder it is to beat.

That explains A LOT! Last time I beat the game was on my Pentium 4 2.8GHz with hyperthreading… no wonder that puzzle was such a pain to beat… and when I finally did after so many tries, it was only by a single piece!

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Other FMV game you should try is Yoomurjack’s Ring, an Hungarian game but with english subtitles. And Cosnpiracies (1 and 2), a Greek game (speech and subtitles in english). Conspiracies 2 is in Full HD, with very nice movies.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Yoomurjack’s Ring

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

UruBoo/zobraks: Thanks.

EDIT: Should add, that they seem like pretty cool games (they’re on my list, but I first heard or read about them pretty long ago, so I need to refresh my memory).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top