• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U Demo

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

OrionO - 22 February 2015 05:42 AM

Corey Cole, who has disappointed many by pushing a radical, intolerant feminist political agenda in his public postings about Hero-U

Nah, there’s nothing the slightest bit intolerant about supporting women game developers. And people like yourself and your fellow GamerGate scumbags absolutely deserve normal people’s intolerance. You’re garbage.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Venkman: Don’t take the bait, or this thread will be totally derailed. It’s happened before.
—-

I don’t think the Coles have it in them to make a boring game. When Hero U comes out, my guess is that, like Quest for Glory IV, it will do some things fantastically well, and be terribly unpolished in other ways. People sometimes forget what a bug-riddled mess QFG4 was on release, before it was canonized as a classic. I don’t know if Hero U will manage to overcome these problems as well, but I’d like to give this game the benefit of the doubt until we see a final product.

The scalpels might come out after release, but I see no reason to begin the dissection prematurely. I can tolerate clunky art. I can tolerate no art at all; I play text adventures. If they switched to roguelike ASCII art so they could focus entirely on puzzles and narrative, I’d be heartened (though I’d probably be alone in that.)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Good to see they’re still on it. It’s quite amazing how many graphical changes the game has gone through. I wonder how much time and money they could have saved if they had a clear plan for the visual design from the beginning. I still think the concept art shown in the beginning of the kickstarter campaign was beautiful and I wish they’d have kept that style for the game, but what they got going now looks considerably better than what we saw in the 2013 demo.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, the screeny of the new demo looks really good.  I hope things go well for them going forward here.  It’s been rocky, but it seems like they have more solid footing now.

Bt

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah.. i suppose this art style will appeal to a broader audience.. personally i thought the last version was fine too.
But i hope they know the combat mechanics were never the most important thing about this. I mean, it would be nice if the combat is decent… but QFG4 is one of my all-time favorite adventures and the combat was *awful* in that game. So im just hoping not a ton of time and resources is going into combat thats probably going to inevitably be mediocre… Tongue

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I can tell you, from experience, combat is a really hard thing to nail down.  What one person thinks is the greatest, another person hates with a passion.  I think I have yet to find a combat system from any game I could consider my favorite.

Bt

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah its got to be tricky.
If we’re talking combat from any genre, i think my favorite is tactical d&d style (baldurs gate, planescape: torment, etc). But thats a style that takes a huge amount of focus and detail… doesnt fit in an adventure game where combat is supplementary.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I remember asking Corey Cole about the combat during the KS campaign. He said something about how the combat design would be very different from QFG games, and that winning the fights would be much like solving a puzzle. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Also, if I don’t remember incorrectly, he said that the combat could be avoided entirely, if one wished to do so. That was a long time ago though, and much has changed with the game since then, so I don’t know if it still applies.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Dag - 20 April 2015 10:00 AM

That was a long time ago though, and much has changed with the game since then, so I don’t know if it still applies.

who knows.. Definitely not super encouraging though that the update pretty much says “we planned on putting out a combat demo a couple months after the kickstarter, but then we realized game making is hard.” ........

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Zane: Given their history, that seems like a somewhat uncharitable reading. I think it’s closer to “we are starting to break away from the style and mechanics that we’re already comfortable with, and as we do, we’re running into some big challenges. We were too optimistic, but we’re back on track.”

That said, the strongest QFG action combat was in the AGDI remake of QfG2, with the official games ranging in combat mechanics from “okay” to “nearly intolerable,” so going for a “puzzley” approach where each encounter is designed to be tactical and “solvable” is probably a shakeup for the best.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

WitchOfDoubt - 20 April 2015 12:12 PM

Zane: Given their history, that seems like a somewhat uncharitable reading. I think it’s closer to “we are starting to break away from the style and mechanics that we’re already comfortable with, and as we do, we’re running into some big challenges. We were too optimistic, but we’re back on track.”

That said, the strongest QFG action combat was in the AGDI remake of QfG2, with the official games ranging in combat mechanics from “okay” to “nearly intolerable,” so going for a “puzzley” approach where each encounter is designed to be tactical and “solvable” is probably a shakeup for the best.

thats a nicer way to say it for sure. Bottom line is though: theyr still figuring out stuff about the design that ideally wouldv been part of the first kickstarter pitch. It feels like its been 2+ years of being in the early planning stage. The initial planning was…... off. And thats being nice too.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Dag - 20 April 2015 09:29 AM

Good to see they’re still on it. It’s quite amazing how many graphical changes the game has gone through. I wonder how much time and money they could have saved if they had a clear plan for the visual design from the beginning. I still think the concept art shown in the beginning of the kickstarter campaign was beautiful and I wish they’d have kept that syle for the game, but what they got going now looks considerably better than what we saw in the 2013 demo.

The biggest mistake they made in the beginning was that they based their opinion about 3D graphics to archaic methods that were used during the production of Dragonfire. It still boggles my mind that they hadn’t done research about how much 3D graphics in games has evolved since the 90’s.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

ehhh. as someone who replays through the entire qfg series about twice a year, i have to say i still don’t like it lol.  the art looks bleh.  i guesss it’s better than it was initially but i don’t know. i still don’t like it.  lol.  they should have gone for a more diabloesc appearance. since they are doing the same type of angle.  i don’t know.  it looks too cartoony and lofi.  i would have preferred the original appearance of qfg to what they are trying to do.  even a modern-retro game like heroine’s quest or quest for infamy is more appealing graphically than this…

of all the sierra reinventions i think spaceventure looked the best (graphically).  those kind of high res 3-d pre-rendered environment graphics look amazing.  i wish more adventure games would look like that. (and i really hope someday they do finish that game as well)

i’ll still probably play the game, but even as a die hard qfg fan, i’m not really excited or eager for it to happen.  it looks to me that it will be as hollow (in appearance) as that recreated LSL1 was.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

syn - 21 April 2015 05:00 PM

of all the sierra reinventions i think spaceventure looked the best (graphically).  that kind of high res 3-d pre-rendered environment graphics looks amazing.  i wish more adventure games would* look like that.

*(expressing the conditional mood) indicating the consequence of an imagined event or situation.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top