• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 05 October 2015 07:06 AM

Fixed Tongue

Bundesliga is the most boring of the major european championships in the last years. It’s the only one where there is only one powerful team that just picks ups the major players from the rivals.

The race for the second place is entertaining, though, with Schalke, Wolfsburg and Dortmund contending. And all three of them can take on the top of the Premier League imo, so my argument still stands somewhat…

Tad - 05 October 2015 10:57 AM

It makes me laugh how people here in the UK go about proudly over the Premier league, yet want our international team do better. They can’t seem to connect the dots. Or perhaps they just don’t want to.

I’m of the opinion that football would be far better off if we went back to the olden days of “max 3 foreign players per team”.
Unfortunately the EU labour laws have made this illegal to implement, so it’s not going to happen. Thing is that clubs that field more national/local players are financially far more healthy…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

TimovieMan - 05 October 2015 03:48 PM
wilco - 05 October 2015 07:06 AM

Fixed Tongue

Bundesliga is the most boring of the major european championships in the last years. It’s the only one where there is only one powerful team that just picks ups the major players from the rivals.

The race for the second place is entertaining, though, with Schalke, Wolfsburg and Dortmund contending. And all three of them can take on the top of the Premier League imo, so my argument still stands somewhat…

Tad - 05 October 2015 10:57 AM

It makes me laugh how people here in the UK go about proudly over the Premier league, yet want our international team do better. They can’t seem to connect the dots. Or perhaps they just don’t want to.

I’m of the opinion that football would be far better off if we went back to the olden days of “max 3 foreign players per team”.
Unfortunately the EU labour laws have made this illegal to implement, so it’s not going to happen. Thing is that clubs that field more national/local players are financially far more healthy…

As I’m more of an ice hockey fan, something the Slovakian team brought to my attention could really help England etc in this regard I think. Basically, to help the development of the ice hockey in Slovakia, the governing body decided to create a team for their top division that is full of young home talent. The team play a full season and are unable to be relegated. They’re simply there to play against the best in that country to learn and develop. It did wonders for them in ice hockey and at the Olympics, they got through to the semi finals.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Getting rid of managers like Mourinho who never field anyone under 24 28 Shifty Eyed would be a good start.
Promising youngsters should always be given first team football to help them develop…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 05 October 2015 05:31 PM

Getting rid of managers like Mourinho who never field anyone under 24 28 Shifty Eyed would be a good start.
Promising youngsters should always be given first team football to help them develop…

I don’t think that is true. Chelsea is far from being premier league oldest team and hr doesn’t really have a problem putting Zouma instead for Terry, for example.

One could say foreigners playing taking all the places could be problem but that has benefitted national teams of countries with smaller champioships with their players going to more competitive leagues.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 05 October 2015 07:06 PM

I don’t think that is true. Chelsea is far from being premier league oldest team and hr doesn’t really have a problem putting Zouma instead for Terry, for example.

Zouma is the youngest player he’ll field at 21, followed by Courtois and Hazard at 23 and 24. Everyone else is older, with Terry being 34.
Practically all the other youngsters are among the 34 (!!!) loaned-out players, or they’re constantly on the bench.
Mourinho isn’t the only one, but he stalled Romelu Lukaku’s career for a full season by not playing him, and he stalled Kevin De Bruyne’s career for half a season by not playing him. And De Bruyne would have been the best player on the pitch if he had…

One could say foreigners playing taking all the places could be problem but that has benefitted national teams of countries with smaller champioships with their players going to more competitive leagues.

Not entirely true. The smaller competitions would be better too - everything would be more balanced. Belgian clubs had their best results in the late ‘70s and the ‘80s, when a “3 foreign player limit” was in effect.
Our national team had its best result in 1986, reaching the semi-finals of the World Cup. We had a whopping TWO players abroad at the time - Jean-Marie Pfaff in goal at Bayern Munchen, and Eric Gerets at PSV Eindhoven (and PSV isn’t even a real improvement over the Belgian top teams)...
When Denmark won the European Championship in ‘92, I think the only players they had abroad were Schmeichel at Man U and the Laudrup brothers at Bayern Munchen and Barcelona. The rest were playing in the domestic competition.
I’m sure if I would look at most of these “best results from smaller nations”, I’d find similar stats…

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 06 October 2015 06:41 AM

When Denmark won the European Championship in ‘92, I think the only players they had abroad were Schmeichel at Man U and the Laudrup brothers at Bayern Munchen and Barcelona. The rest were playing in the domestic competition.

That is only partly true. To start with Michael Laudrup wasn’t a part of the team mainly because he didn’t agree with the trainer on the tactics, but there were also other players on the team playing in foreign leagues, like Flemming Povlsen in Borussia Dortmund and John Sivebæk in Monaco to name a couple.

More importantly, the best team Denmark have ever had was back in the 80’s (yeah the 92 team won the European championship, but a lot of luck was involved). And it consisted almost entirely of players playing in the big European leagues, like Allan Simonsen (1977 European Footballer of the Year) (Borussia Mönchengladbach, Barcelona), Preben Elkjær (Verona), Frank Arnesen (Ajax Amsterdam), Søren Lerby (Ajax, Bayern Munchen) ... and even a young Michael Laudrup.

Of course at that time there actually was a “max 3 foreign players per team” in those leagues, so ... But I still agree with:

wilco - 05 October 2015 07:06 PM

Getting some international experience, and playing on and against teams that are better than our national league, is something that is important for developing good footballers and something that the Danish national team has generally benefited from.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

A few months ago, they voted Blatter back in despite fans and media wanting him to go. Fast forward to now and the sponsors tell him to leave or face further action from them. And those who voted him back in are now doing everything to kick him out the door. Hah. Crooks backstabbing the provider. The sad thing is just like the EU, this organisation will replace Blatter with another more sneaker crook from the cupboard of them they keep.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34670192

Bye Bye Jose.

Chelsea 1 point from the relegation zone was a last straw I suppose.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finally. And now they can look for an actual football trainer.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 17 December 2015 05:57 PM

Too bad Guardiola is in Bayern Munich.

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

SoccerDude28 - 17 December 2015 06:43 PM

Who knows. Wink Tomorrow Bayern Munich will host a press conference about the future of Pep Guardiola. His contract ends in the summer of 2016. Tomorrow we will definitely know if he stays or not. 

Lots of rumors about Bayern and Ancelotti at the moment, but - as a fan of Bayern Munich - I’d be very happy if Guardiola would sign a new contract. 

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Ingmar - 19 December 2015 05:18 AM
SoccerDude28 - 17 December 2015 06:43 PM

Who knows. Wink Tomorrow Bayern Munich will host a press conference about the future of Pep Guardiola. His contract ends in the summer of 2016. Tomorrow we will definitely know if he stays or not. 

Lots of rumors about Bayern and Ancelotti at the moment, but - as a fan of Bayern Munich - I’d be very happy if Guardiola would sign a new contract.

So the Ancelotti rumours were true.

Guardiola is leaving and Ancelotti is in at Bayern.

So which English club is Guardiola going to… Chelsea or one of the Manchester clubs.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Man U.
No way Van Gaal is staying after this season. I seriously doubt he’ll even make the end of the season. Probably the next one to go after Mourinho.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Real Madrid 10 - 2 Vallecano

Wow, overkill much ?!

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Perhaps I should be bummed about Guardiola, but I’ve just seen Star Wars at the cinema, and I’m much too psyched to be bummed about his departure! Smile

Many important players have long-term contracts, and Bayern has an extremely talented squad, and no need to sell players. Actually, I’m looking forward to see what Ancelotti will do with that great roster.  Seems like they found a very reasonable replacement. Smile

Concerning Guardiola’s future:
Eventhough there are many rumors, ManCity seems to be the #1 rumor in German media - even when it comes to reputable media outlets.  I still have problems believing any of that, though.  I seem to remember Guardiola used to repeatedly say how much he cares about tradition. Obviously, he had that in Barcelona and Bayern Munich, but how would ManCity fit into that?

If he’s been serious about that, I’d think Manchester United would probably make a lot of sense.  Another option might be that he takes another year off before he joins a new club.  Hopefully, we’ll find out soon.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top