• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough No # 24: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Not good to go but I’ll try to get into this if I finish Obsidian quickly enough.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 11 September 2013 12:35 PM

I’ve been going through the manual, and the introduction for the game there is a bit more expanded than the in-game intro - it’s a must-read, imo. Wink

I agree, the manual is also available in the gog version, it’s 4-5 pages of backstory for the creation of AM. It’s interesting. Maybe it will also be referenced throughout the game.

The setting is definitely very intriguing. Can’t wait to start it. You can already see it’s going to be a very happy adventure Tongue
The woman seems to have the better deal concerning the torture, I mean: burn alive; electric shocks; turned into a simian and poked with blades, laser beams or ... a sliding yellow cage? Smile

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

wilco - 11 September 2013 06:38 PM

The woman seems to have the better deal concerning the torture, I mean: burn alive; electric shocks; turned into a simian and poked with blades, laser beams or ... a sliding yellow cage? Smile

Sefir - 10 September 2013 05:18 AM

Ellen: The only female of the 5. A brilliant engineer once, now a tormented soul. Serious trauma. Psychological fear of a certain color.

I’m guessing yellow might be that colour Tongue

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

OK, I am in: installed and ready to go. Watched the intro: Harlan Ellison as AM made my skin crawl. This will be a (partial?) replay for me but I remember virtually nothing from the first time I played the game so it might as well be a brand new experience.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

RayB - 11 September 2013 02:43 PM
Sefir - 11 September 2013 01:08 PM

The story is entirely different in the book and in the game, though I like both. If I had to choose however, I would have played the game first.

However, paragraph three on page 28 of the manual However, this adventure
offers answers to long-asked questions raised in the original story. Who
and why is AM? Why these five miserable remnants of humanity? And
most of all, what happens next? These answers come in parts, a bit at a
time, for you to piece together as you play each adventure.
might make me thing otherwise. No?

These are all trivial details that serve only as background info IMO. What matters most is the human characters psych and their emotions, their tortures, what can a human being do, how far would go in extreme life/death situations…

You can already see it’s going to be a very happy adventure Tongue

AM - 12 September 2013 03:12 AM

It’s a very nice game. Oh, It’s a lovely game. It’s a game of fun and a game of adventure!

Naughty

Karmillo - 11 September 2013 07:43 PM

... a sliding yellow cage? Smile

Ellen: The only female of the 5. A brilliant engineer once, now a tormented soul. Serious trauma. Psychological fear of a certain color.

Could be, could be…It is a very special cell after all…It wouldn’t be far fetched if Ellen had claustrophobia too (or added to her psych by AM)... Not to mention the various torture devices that could exist inside of the cell and we can’t see…

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 12 September 2013 03:12 AM

These are all trivial details that serve only as background info IMO. What matters most is the human characters psych and their emotions, their tortures, what can a human being do, how far would go in extreme life/death situations…

I agree, also as I recall most of the background information in the manual, is also told in the game, though in a more fragmented and less comprehensive form. Personally I think I would prefer to know as little as possible before playing the game, and instead discover this info along the way.

Sefir - 12 September 2013 03:12 AM

... a sliding yellow cage? Smile

Could be, could be…It is a very special cell after all…It wouldn’t be far fetched if Ellen had claustrophobia too (or added to her psych by AM)... Not to mention the various torture devices that could exist inside of the cell and we can’t see…

At first glance it does seem like Ellen has gotten the better deal, but remember each form of torture, including the “games”, are specifically designed for each character, their very own personal hell you could say.

As a bit of trivia I can add that in the original release it was actually censored in some countries, and a whole chapter is missing in the German and French versions. This missing chapter actually makes it impossible to reach the best ending.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 12 September 2013 09:24 AM

As a bit of trivia I can add that in the original release it was actually censored in some countries, and a whole chapter is missing in the German and French versions. This missing chapter actually makes it impossible to reach the best ending.

I did read that somewhere Iznogood but as far as I know I’ve got all the characters in my version (hopefully!) I’ve read the manual & played the introduction so ready to go!

My only thoughts so far would echo rtrooney’s comments about the graphics, also I wasn’t impressed with the ‘electronic’ midi? music that accompanied the introduction but I’ll get over it!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

You probably read it *** Link removed as it contains spoilers *****, at least that is where I read it.
Well I read it in the book version, but it is more or less the same.

Edit: Link deleted

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 12 September 2013 09:43 AM

You probably read it here, at least .

DO NOT FOLLOW THIS LINK!! IT CONTAINS SERIOUS SPOILERS!!!

(Iznogood, you should have warned us!!  Pan  Please delete it, or at least put a spoilers warning on it.)

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

a whole chapter is missing in the German and French versions. This missing chapter actually makes it impossible to reach the best ending.

That was Nimdok’s chapter…(that’s not a spoiler)

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 12 September 2013 09:43 AM

You probably read it here, at least that is where I read it.
Well I read it in the book version, but it is more or less the same.

No! That’s not where I read it - I think it was a comment by a player following a review complaining that the chapter was missing!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, I couldn’t contain myself - I went and read the short story. Innocent
Some of you claim that the game is better, and I tend to “save the best for last”, so I went for the story first. It turned out to be a lot shorter than I had figured.

It reminded me a bit of Orson Scott Card’s short stories: centered around a great idea, and being more brutal than you’d expect.
The basic idea for IHNMAIMS is a lot stronger than the actual story, imo, but then again, how do you successfully convey over a century of non-stop torture?
I do like the richness of the content, and I like what Ellison tried to do with the story. The final line (coincidentally also the title) is exceptionally chilling given the context…

Having read the story, I now fail to see how there could be a lot of similarity between the story and the game apart from the setting and the characters. The introduction we get on the 5 characters in the game’s intro (and what you can find out about them in the manual) is already a departure from the short story.
Plus reading the story got me some advance acquaintance with the main characters, which will be a plus in the game, I reckon…

The manual outright states the colour: yes, it’s yellow.

I agree, also as I recall most of the background information in the manual, is also told in the game, though in a more fragmented and less comprehensive form. Personally I think I would prefer to know as little as possible before playing the game, and instead discover this info along the way.

Actually, since they included some of the background information in the manual, it’s probably supposed to be read before starting the game (in true RTFM fashion). Otherwise why include it at all if it’s irrelevant?

Sefir - 12 September 2013 09:52 AM

Good thing I didn’t read it, then. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 12 September 2013 09:52 AM

(Iznogood, you should have warned us!!  Pan  Please delete it, or at least put a spoilers warning on it.)

Sorry - Didn’t think about it.
I hope everybody who did follow the link, stopped reading as soon as you realised there was spoilers.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 12 September 2013 12:14 PM

Actually, since they included some of the background information in the manual, it’s probably supposed to be read before starting the game (in true RTFM fashion). Otherwise why include it at all if it’s irrelevant?

Some manuals also contain a walkthrough of the first chapter, just because it is there then it doesn’t mean you have to read it.

Personally I actually prefer to read these kind of things after I have played the game, sometimes it makes me see some of the events in a new light, and sometimes it is a great disappointment, as the background story I deduced or made up during the game is far more interesting then the official story.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I have this but have never played it so will try and join in as time allows.

It’s a game i’ve always meant to play but somehow never got round to.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top