• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Everybody’s gone to the Rapture

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Monolith - 23 August 2013 03:55 PM
Iznogood - 23 August 2013 01:49 PM
Monolith - 23 August 2013 01:24 PM

What if I told you that you can own a console and still use a PC just to play a couple of games? I know, its another stretch. Especially since Adventure games are generally pretty exclusive on the PC.

My point is that in the database here there are listed no less then 19 different platforms, some are obsolete and there are some overlaps, but lets say that there are 10 different gaming platforms, all with games that are being exclusively released for that platform.

Do I want to buy all 10 platforms, just so I can be sure that I can play all the games I’m interested in - Hell no! Even if someone knocked on my door and wanted to give them to me for free, then I still wouldn’t be interested.

If I was already thinking about buying a console, or I had a PS3 and was thinking about upgrading, then having a game like this for the PS4 might make a difference, and if I was in the market for a console then the PS4 would be my first choice, but I’m not.

I’m not saying that either the PS4 or Rapture is going to flop, I’m just saying that your statement is indeed a big stretch, and that most that will buy the Rapture will be people who have bought a PS4 for other reasons.

Its convenient that Dear Esther is on steam so they can organize ‘Surveys’. Huh, who could of thunk that? Oh, what, a lot of the audience has either 360 or ps3 in conjunction to a PC? Yeah, big stretch it isn’t. This was in the now defunct Game Developer magazine.

Only reason I bring this up is because so many adventure gamers feel so entitled, no different than a lot of the gaming hipsters across genres. Get over it. Just sayin.

No one said there isnt some/many that have both a pc and a console, and that many of them wouldnt buy a ps4.

I dont understand your point, what is it that we have to get over???

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Monolith - 23 August 2013 03:55 PM

Only reason I bring this up is because so many adventure gamers feel so entitled, no different than a lot of the gaming hipsters across genres. Get over it. Just sayin.

Well, in this particular case, some of the feeling of “entitlement” comes from the fact that they announced the game for PC. For my part, I never feel entitlement for a game not released on a platform I don’t own. I sometimes feel baffled, when excluding a certain platform makes little sense to me (like WAAAY back, when Pegasus Prime was exclusive to Mac…so glad that’s finally being fixed), but entitlement? Nah.

I’ve never bought a platform just for one game, or even a few games, either, that’s for sure. I’m certainly not getting a PS4 to play adventure games on, when there are so many I haven’t played readily available for the PC I already have (and which I use for many other purposes, where I wouldn’t use a console). The vast majority of games exclusive to consoles don’t interest me. Certainly there has never been anywhere NEAR the number of exclusive games of interest that would be required for me to shell out that much money for a console.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree with Iznogood - very few people will get a PS4 just for this game. If they don’t have a console and suddenly decide to buy a PS4, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture might be one of the reasons to do so, but it will most definitely NOT be the sole reason…

And these claims of ‘entitlement’ don’t apply to the majority of people here. A lot of people here go “darn, it’s exclusive to a platform I don’t own” when they see something interesting. A select few actually go out and buy that platform once enough interesting titles accumulate for it, but I haven’t seen anyone throwing a hissy fit because this or that game doesn’t get a PC release. It’s mild disappointment at worst, even in this thread.

So, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture has become a PS4 exclusive with backing from Sony? All the more power to them. This’ll get a LOT more exposure this way than it would have if it were still just a PC release.
And if they announced a PC release in the past and now have to come back on that decision, you just say “oh, crap” and move on, imo. Unless you were planning on getting a PS4 anyway, of course… Tongue

I agree that the game looks interesting. But I don’t own a PS3 and don’t plan on getting a PS4. This just goes on the pile of interesting PS-games I’ll likely never play (like Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Journey, Ni-No-Kuni, etc.)... and I’m OK with that.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I feel so bad and pity for people who prefer systems than games. In all
console wars my stance since childhood had been , i play for games not
systems or platforms.

Loss of one pack of audience, no worries since TCR will find new ones.
Ones that have history of excellent Sony Family titles.

Edit:

InB4 Vita comment Wink

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2013 07:27 AM

I feel so bad and pity for people who prefer systems than games. In all
console wars my stance since childhood had been , i play for games not
systems or platforms.

Loss of one pack of audience, no worries since TCR will find new ones.
Ones that have history of excellent Sony Family titles.

Edit:

InB4 Vita comment Wink

not everyone has the money for multiple systems though, so thats why you get some people annoyed that a game they want to play isnt on the system they got.

Then there are cases like this where a game was going to be on multiple platforms but then gets made an exclusive, people are generally gonna be annoyed about that and really they have a right to be.

Comments like “we don’t need those fans we’ll just get new ones” are kinda stupid too, that kinda thinking generally comes back to bite you in the ass

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karmillo - 24 August 2013 08:59 AM

not everyone has the money for multiple systems though, so thats why you get some people annoyed that a game they want to play isnt on the system they got.

Then there are cases like this where a game was going to be on multiple platforms but then gets made an exclusive, people are generally gonna be annoyed about that and really they have a right to be.

Comments like “we don’t need those fans we’ll just get new ones” are kinda stupid too, that kinda thinking generally comes back to bite you in the ass

Gaming ain’t cheap hobby to begin with, shocking news?? the money card you
used is invalid.

The right thing is other way around, ChineseRoom have right to do what they want,
they dont owe anything to PC owners , its their talent shined through, and you never
know how many PC gamers got the game through cheap Steam sale.

TCR dont have obligation towards you. And as TCR said neither that money from
Dearesther nor from KS could do their vision justice, which motivated them to
go with SantaMonica, so another invalid point.

And if it will bite , we will buy those consoles, for those games, i know i did, as i
know gaming aint cheap and i know i have to play some games.

I believe PS4 will have great future, its not like you will just get
this title, its not one title, there will be plenty of experimental titles throughout
the cycle just like Ps3 (already shat pants on ShadowoftheBeast announcement), so one will get his return. You have to venture to know if you will love it , just like you tried DearEsther and fell in love with it.

Get PS3/4 , you might as well love it.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2013 11:51 AM

For someone who allegedly hate console wars, you sure a passionate about trying to convince us PS4 is the best console and everybody should buy it Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Iznogood - 24 August 2013 12:34 PM

For someone who allegedly hate console wars, you sure a passionate about trying to convince us PS4 is the best console and everybody should buy it Wink

Way to take things out of context Tongue

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

used is invalid.

Yeah I have to disagree, it can be as cheap as you want it to be. The cheapest probably being an adventure game fan playing games on a mid to low end pc/laptop.

Also you seem to have got the wrong impression, I’m the type of gamer who spends all his money on hardware and crap instead of…well a social life so I’m not talking about my own situation when I say there are some people who dont have the money to waste on every system, I’m just not so ignorant as to think that everyone who wants to play games should be like me.

I’ve also never played any of the chinese rooms games so I’m not personally feeling burned here, I’m just an outside observer.

You keep acting like people are annoyed because they feel like they are owed something, no-one is thinking that. People are just annoyed because there was a game they were looking forward to playing since it was announced for pc and now it isn’t.

Like how TCR don’t owe their fans anything their fans don’t owe them anything either, if they aren’t gonna release their game on the pc then their fans who only have a pc aren’t going to play it and thats that.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

used is invalid.

Huh? Invalid? Sorry, but you are wrong. For somebody who plays games on a PC that I would own for other purposes even if I did NOT play games, gaming IS a fairly cheap hobby. Perhaps you meant CONSOLE gaming isn’t a cheap hobby? Or maybe cutting edge gaming, for which one must constantly upgrade a PC? I do neither, and the expensiveness is part of the reason.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

^ & ^^ I agree with these.

The money card is very much valid. It’s the main reason why I no longer upgrade my PC, and why I don’t buy consoles anymore (except the 3DS).

Also, I wouldn’t know WHEN to play console games anyway. Most of my gaming time is when the missus watches TV programs I’m not interested in. Playing console games at that point is out of the question, or I’d need a second TV as well…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The “when” is becoming invalid with the PS4, Tim. Unless a game requires PS4-specific features (like the PS Eye), every game will be playable on the PS Vita via remote play. So if the missus needs to use the TV you’ll just turn on your Vita and continue playing. In this case though, the money argument very much still stands. Buying both a Vita and a PS4 will be almost 600 dollars. For some that’d be quite a hefty amount.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Pssst, I have a 3DS, not a Vita… Wink

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Yeah, I know. Gotta play them Ace Attorneys!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mister Ed - 26 August 2013 12:24 PM

used is invalid.

Huh? Invalid? Sorry, but you are wrong. For somebody who plays games on a PC that I would own for other purposes even if I did NOT play games, gaming IS a fairly cheap hobby. Perhaps you meant CONSOLE gaming isn’t a cheap hobby? Or maybe cutting edge gaming, for which one must constantly upgrade a PC? I do neither, and the expensiveness is part of the reason.

I meant overall, ofcourse you can pass time with angrybrids, farmville or candycrush.Tongue

You dont need PC for that,all those games and your other purposes can be done on
SMART mobile devices.

Still invalid because from the sounds of it, both you and advie are confusing hobby with just passtime. Its more than that, a pastime which you have to pay for to decide the net experience and fun. The ones with more money will have range to select from than those who will have limited money. In simpler words limited money , limited choices.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top