• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Everybody’s gone to the Rapture

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being “shackled to exclusivity deals”, but it’s a bit in bad taste to first announce the game for PC and then pull that announcement back.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 21 August 2013 11:47 AM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being “shackled to exclusivity deals”, but it’s a bit in bad taste to first announce the game for PC and then pull that announcement back.

Yeah, that’s pretty much my main issue too - if the PC version hadn’t initially been announced over a year ago then I wouldn’t have been nearly as annoyed as I am now. I’d have still been disappointed but not nearly as much as I am now that a PC version has been all but snatched away from us.

When Dear Esther is one of your topmost “favourite games of all time” you’re naturally extremely keen to play other games from the same developer. I was so much looking forward to ‘Rapture’ on the PC.

I just cannot fathom why The Chinese Room have done this - they don’t appear to be motivated by money, instead it’s quality that they’re after. Could signing some exclusivity deal with Sony really increase the game’s quality THAT much? Did The Chinese Room not stop to think how p*ssed off a lot of Dear Esther fans and PC owners would be when they found out that they would have to fork out a few hundred for a PS4 just to play ‘Rapture’?

I don’t know. I can but vent my frustration.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Irongiant909 - 21 August 2013 12:02 PM

I just cannot fathom why The Chinese Room have done this - they don’t appear to be motivated by money, instead it’s quality that they’re after. Could signing some exclusivity deal with Sony really increase the game’s quality THAT much? Did The Chinese Room not stop to think how p*ssed off a lot of Dear Esther fans and PC owners would be when they found out that they would have to fork out a few hundred for a PS4 just to play ‘Rapture’?

I don’t know. I can but vent my frustration.

Yeah Sony support could do wonders, from all the interviews and postmortem on games
like HeavyRain, Unfinished Swan, Journey, Tokyo Jungle and other experimental titles,
Devs claimed that Sony helped alot to push quality in different ways.

But i can understand your feelings.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Irongiant909 - 21 August 2013 12:02 PM

If I was going to take a guess, I would say it’s a business decision. If it was solely on the PC, it would probably not get the same exposure it would get if it was being published by someone as big as Sony, especially on their new platform. For example, I did not hear about Dear Esther nor the Chinese Room before yesterday when I first heard about them in the Sony conference, and I would like to think of myself as someone pretty knowledgeable about games.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

See i was right, i read their mind correctly

Latest blog post with some extra salt on wounds of PC gamers

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture revealed!

At the Sony Gamescom press conference in Cologne last night we were finally able to reveal that our next game will be Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, an open-world, first-person adventure that we see as the spiritual successor to Dear Esther.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture will be published by Sony Computer Entertainment, and we are working with Sony Santa Monica studios to bring it to the PS4. This is hugely exciting for us – we’ve been big fans of Santa Monica for several years as they’ve led the way in showing how it’s possible to get amazing, innovative first-party content onto consoles. Their attitude and approach is not only fantastic, but we discovered we share very similar values about what kinds of games we want to make, so it’s a very exciting partnership for us.

This doesn’t mean we are done with PC gaming. There are no immediate plans for a PC release, and we know that this may be difficult for some of our fans. What’s important to us is that we continue to develop as a studio, and working with Sony on this title is just the right choice for lots of reasons, from the shared vision to getting access to top-rank production expertise on what is the largest, most ambitious title we’ve tackled so far. You were very much at the forefront of our discussions when we decided we wanted to opt for a console game as the next release, and we really, genuinely believe in this platform. But the gaps between platforms continue to shrink and our relationship with Crytek, something we really hope to continue, makes the idea of multi-platform releases of the levels of production values we love working to a reality for the future. We will be back…

Finally, the studio is closing for a week. It’s a hard thing getting to the end of a cycle in development and building up to an announce and we need a break before things really kick off in September. So don’t send us any tweets or emails because we won’t be reading anything. We’re off up a mountain with no Internet or phone access and you’ll get buried in a big pile when we return and potentially missed.

Next blog post when we get back will introduce the amazingly talented new staff we employed over the summer. We’re really, really excited to let you know who they are – the team is now looking incredibly strong and we can’t wait to get stuck into Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture in a week or two!

Wednesday, 21st Aug 2013

Total Posts: 5586

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ah, well.  If there’s little hope for a Windows release, there’s no hope for a Mac version.  I guess they don’t understand what having a fan base means.  I found Dear Esther very moving and thought provoking and would have gladly paid for another game from this company.  However, I am not going to buy a PS4 to play their games, so they’re at least one fan down.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Well, now NOT eveybody’s gone to the Rapture.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

This may be a stretch but I promise you majority of the Dear Esther fans will be getting a PS4. You know, the next console in a series of consoles that continue to provide mature thought provoking gaming experiences both from big companies and small studios. You know, a console which makes developers more money than the PC counterpart? Just saying. Hold your horses, people are always jumping the gun an it seems more the case with consoles. Get over it.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Irongiant909 - 21 August 2013 11:11 AM
nomadsoul - 21 August 2013 11:03 AM

Well sometimes Devs need open minded Corporations
to help them fund the game and materialize the ambition.

Given the incredible success of Dear Esther I’d be extremely surprised if funding the development of Rapture was an issue. After all, The Chinese Room started work on the game over a year ago (then put it on a back burner while they worked on A Machine For Pigs).

Guess i was right again Tongue

“So the thinking went like this,” he began. “We don’t have enough money or production expertise to make this game without help. We don’t think we can raise enough through Kickstarter or public alpha to make this happen. We could do with production support on a game this scale. We’ve always wanted to make a console game. Publishers have bad reputations all too often. Hey, Sony Santa Monica are great though. We’ve met them a few times and really like them and their attitude.”

“But part of that is following our instincts about how we develop and find stability as a studio and this is going to be part of the process. And without sounding like a bought man, the PS4 is genuinely a really, really cool platform, and if people have never bought into console gaming before, this is the time.”

Everyone is going to Rapture PS4 , you all are welcome too. Smile

Full story

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/22/dear-esther-devs-rapture-no-longer-coming-to-pc/

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

This news comes at a good time, now that they’re sucking on Sony’s tit, I don’t need to pre-order Machine for Pigs to support them.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Monolith - 22 August 2013 12:19 PM

This may be a stretch but I promise you majority of the Dear Esther fans will be getting a PS4.

Somehow I doubt that.

if people have never bought into console gaming before, this is the time

People who haven’t had a console before and are used to playing on a pc, are not going to run out and buy consoles in the bulk, just because a single game they would like to play is only released on a console, they are just going to wave goodbye to the game and play something else.

All you really have to do is compare the amount of games in the AG database that is exclusive for some platform, and the amount of people here in the forum that owns and play games on that platform. I mean if this was likely to happen most of us would already own a 3DS, but based on the posts in the forum, it is actually only a minority that has a 3DS.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Iznogood - 23 August 2013 12:54 PM

People who haven’t had a console before and are used to playing on a pc, are not going to run out and buy consoles in the bulk, just because a single game they would like to play is only released on a console, they are just going to wave goodbye to the game and play something else.

All you really have to do is compare the amount of games in the AG database that is exclusive for some platform, and the amount of people here in the forum that owns and play games on that platform. I mean if this was likely to happen most of us would already own a 3DS, but based on the posts in the forum, it is actually only a minority that has a 3DS.

What if I told you that you can own a console and still use a PC just to play a couple of games? I know, its another stretch. Especially since Adventure games are generally pretty exclusive on the PC.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Monolith - 23 August 2013 01:24 PM

What if I told you that you can own a console and still use a PC just to play a couple of games? I know, its another stretch. Especially since Adventure games are generally pretty exclusive on the PC.

My point is that in the database here there are listed no less then 19 different platforms, some are obsolete and there are some overlaps, but lets say that there are 10 different gaming platforms, all with games that are being exclusively released for that platform.

Do I want to buy all 10 platforms, just so I can be sure that I can play all the games I’m interested in - Hell no! Even if someone knocked on my door and wanted to give them to me for free, then I still wouldn’t be interested.

If I was already thinking about buying a console, or I had a PS3 and was thinking about upgrading, then having a game like this for the PS4 might make a difference, and if I was in the market for a console then the PS4 would be my first choice, but I’m not.

I’m not saying that either the PS4 or Rapture is going to flop, I’m just saying that your statement is indeed a big stretch, and that most that will buy the Rapture will be people who have bought a PS4 for other reasons.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Iznogood - 23 August 2013 01:49 PM
Monolith - 23 August 2013 01:24 PM

My point is that in the database here there are listed no less then 19 different platforms, some are obsolete and there are some overlaps, but lets say that there are 10 different gaming platforms, all with games that are being exclusively released for that platform.

Do I want to buy all 10 platforms, just so I can be sure that I can play all the games I’m interested in - Hell no! Even if someone knocked on my door and wanted to give them to me for free, then I still wouldn’t be interested.

If I was already thinking about buying a console, or I had a PS3 and was thinking about upgrading, then having a game like this for the PS4 might make a difference, and if I was in the market for a console then the PS4 would be my first choice, but I’m not.

I’m not saying that either the PS4 or Rapture is going to flop, I’m just saying that your statement is indeed a big stretch, and that most that will buy the Rapture will be people who have bought a PS4 for other reasons.

Its convenient that Dear Esther is on steam so they can organize ‘Surveys’. Huh, who could of thunk that? Oh, what, a lot of the audience has either 360 or ps3 in conjunction to a PC? Yeah, big stretch it isn’t. This was in the now defunct Game Developer magazine.

Only reason I bring this up is because so many adventure gamers feel so entitled, no different than a lot of the gaming hipsters across genres. Get over it. Just sayin.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

My kids have a PS3 console, I never play with it. I just can’t “manipulate” the console. So, I’m one of many that just stick with PC games. And, by the way, the graphics in a PC are much better.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top