• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelvetalfor

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Everybody’s gone to the Rapture

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A new game from the creators of Dear Esther for the PS4

First Look

Trailer

Story:

“It’s all about the end of the world. You play the role of a scientist, trapped in the very second of the apocalypse, and the game is about discovering what has happened. You do this by exploring a large open-world environment, and interacting with the objects, places and people you find to gradually unlock and put together the story.”

Gameplay:

“Like Dear Esther, the new game is all about the story. It uses simple gameplay – basic exploration of a first-person world – so it’s very friendly to people without a lot of game experience. But it’s not casual in the classic sense – this is a deep and immersive game.”

It sounds like Gone Home but bigger and at the end of world, well… I’m excited!

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Clunky title, I hope that gets changed, but the game looks great. It’s the same company that’s doing the new Amnesia game so I guess we’ll find out soon enough if Dear Esther was a fluke or not.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

So is this still for the PC and now the PS4 as well?

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Irongiant909 - 20 August 2013 04:52 PM

By the looks of it, for PS4 only.

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

UruBoo - 20 August 2013 05:11 PM
Irongiant909 - 20 August 2013 04:52 PM

By the looks of it, for PS4 only.

I’ll be bloody annoyed if that’s the case.

However, a PC version is still mentioned, a quick Google turns up these two for example:

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-trailer-shown-at-gamescom-2013

http://www.gamesradar.com/everybodys-gone-rapture-announced-ps4/

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

As far as I know it’s now a PS4 exclusive. Judging by the fact Sony Santa Monica is involved in the development as well also heavily points in that direction. But I guess we’ll find out soon enough. People will probably bombard them with this question.

About the game itself, I don’t get why everybody thinks it’s a bad name. I like it. I pity the fool who first thought it was associated with BioShock due to the name rapture, as if the word was invented for that game…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

They got 2 things right

1. In a completely idealistic and high risk move, we forgot about the idea of a Plan B, put together a prototype and approached Sony Santa Monica. They were just shipping Journey and Unfinished Swan and we thought we’d have a lot in common in terms of ideas about story, gameplay, player experience.”

2.  It’s non-linear, with a dynamic and adaptive environment, so this is about your story, a really individual experience that breaks away from the on-rails nature of lots of story-driven games into something that you have a visible impact on.

The word Rapture , might be referring to Biblical one.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Ok found some interesting stuff

the game lasts a total of 37 minutes regardless of what you do, so you could technically stand there for 37 minutes if you wanted to and when time is up, the world ends. or you could try and meet as many people as possible and find as many clues as possible before the world ends. but you will keep respawning or something because the world-ending event is stuck in some sort of loop. they didn’t make it seem like there was a real END to the game though, so maybe things will change now that SSM is involved.

It seems like Journey and Unfinishedswan type deal, where later was also being developed
for PC initially.

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

It still seems about as clear as mud whether ‘Rapture’ is coming to PS4 only or PS4 and PC (perhaps a timed release with the latter, ie PS4 first then on PC a month or two later?).

The ‘exclusive’ issue could just be down to the only console version being for the PS4 - and that a PC version would still be made available (I hope).

If only The Chinese Room had made things clearer we wouldn’t of course be guessing here. Smile

A bit more quick googling turns up other online news sites mentioning that it’s still coming to the PC (as well as the PS4):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/425735/dear-esther-devs-confirm-next-game-for-playstation-4/

http://www.gamezone.com/games/everybody-s-gone-to-the-rapture

http://www.giantbomb.com/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture/3030-37690/

http://home.cableone.net/news/read/category/Technology/article/cvg-dear_esther_devs_confirm_next_game_for_p-ncrd

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/20/gamescom-2013-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-announced-for-playstation/

I’m sure more googling would turn up plenty more. Time will tell who is right.

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Looks very pretty.

I had a telly just like that one. True fact.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The problem is that currently the various news sites doesn’t know anything more than we do, so it’s basically one big guessing game. I hope it’s also pc bound, though. This looks like the type of game everybody should be able to play!

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Well, we can say goodbye to a PC version for now I’m sorry to say:

“#everybodysgonetotherapture will be PS4 only at launch. That’s not an absolute no to PC, but it’s not planned right now.”

I’m severely unimpressed with The Chinese Room right now - I thought that they were an independent dev who wouldn’t be shackled to exclusivity deals with big corporations like Sony. Sadly I was wrong.

I’m truly gutted and incredibly disappointed.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I thought Dear Esther was more successful than expected. Still not successful enough? I don’t get it either. Frown

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Well sometimes Devs need open minded Corporations
to help them fund the game and materialize the ambition.

QA of Santamonica will help it even more, its not like PC owners have shortage
of AG for now, down the line maybe they will release this.

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

nomadsoul - 21 August 2013 11:03 AM

Well sometimes Devs need open minded Corporations
to help them fund the game and materialize the ambition.

Given the incredible success of Dear Esther I’d be extremely surprised if funding the development of Rapture was an issue. After all, The Chinese Room started work on the game over a year ago (then put it on a back burner while they worked on A Machine For Pigs).

QA of Santamonica will help it even more, its not like PC owners have shortage
of AG for now, down the line maybe they will release this.

But that’s not the point - what bugs me (and others) is that we were expecting a PC release. NOW we need to splash out on a PS4 if we want to play Rapture (or wait interminably in the hope that a PC port will one day see the light of day). That’s so infuriating.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I’m somewhat disappointed since I want to see more exploration driven, challengeless, not traditionally gamey games on the PC. On the other hand, I’m not bothered too much since one game less released on the PC means that it’s easier for me to decide what to play next. Really, I’m spoiled for choice already!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top