• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Have we had enough of Kickstarters and Remakes ?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

If a project excites me, I would back it. I’m pretty sure I would do so 5 years from now aswell, unless failing to deliver becomes a trend.

There are still some remakes that I’m really looking forward to, more spesifically Larry 2&3, though I hope they’ll be a bit more ambitious the next time around. Also, there are tons of 3D games I’d have liked to see remade in 2D Wink

So to answer your question: No, I haven’t had enough Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Zifnab - 02 August 2013 06:48 PM

What I’d really like to see is neither remakes nor kickstarters, but rereleases. There are dozens of old games I am incapable of running because they are incompatible. If someone could get on the relatively easy job of fixing that and selling them cheap, I’d be set for years and years of adventure gaming. And I’d have the added bonus of being saved from having to endure more mediocre remakes and kickstarters.

COULDN’T AGREE MORE! Grin +1 for this post man!

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I must admit that it would be nice to begin to see the result of some of the projects I have backed, but no, I haven’t had enough of Kickstarter and Indiegogo. If there are any projects that interest me then I will still back them, and I believe I will continue to do so in any foreseeable future.

Caliburn actually had a nice post about this in the MGX thread:

Caliburn - 02 August 2013 12:27 PM

Actually, this may sound odd, but even though I support crowdfunding and believe it is here to stay, I don’t mind the blowback.

I propose that we’re in the middle of what is sometimes called the “trough of disillusionment” on the hype curve of new ideas and technologies. It certainly doesn’t happen with every new tech, but it is kind of a healthy, somewhat inevitable process (like the five stages of grief) that helps people figure out what a new tech’s strengths and weaknesses are.

I’m quite confident Kickstarter will survive the low point, and it will come out a stronger, more mature platform on the other side.

Which I totally agree with. There has been a lot of hype about Kickstarter, but this hype can’t last forever, and this phenomena has to go through some different stages before it reaches a more natural level.

The downside is that right now is probably the worst time to start new Kickstarter projects.

Regarding remakes, then I have never been a fan of remakes to begin with, and will always prefer a new original game over the reuse of an old idea.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

You really can’t, and even should not, look at Kickstarter as some kind of price guatantee system, as that is not what it’s all about. In some cases you can have a product cheaper, in some cases it can be more costly or the same as the retail price.

In the end KS and any other crowdfunding platform is a question of if the product proposed is something you really want. But at at the same time it isn’t for everyone, as it does require a certain amount of faith as well towards people you’ve never met.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-07-11

PM

I understand your point Steve, and what I am about to say is nothing personal is just my opinion on the whole kickstarter thing and why I don’t support it.

You are right about the fact that if people don’t support your project there will no game, so no price nor game.

However the thing with Kickstarter is that to me there is like no reciprocity is not an investment is just me helping you or any other do what they love and that is great.

But and I know this is selfish of me, but lets say I back you with 30$ and you go and make your game, the game sells so well, that you no longer need kickstarter for next projects, you then make your company grow and continue making awesome games.

What happens next? you forget everyone who made that possible.

One thing and Only thing I ever gave money for and that was Oculus rift, now the sold the thing for a ridiculous amount of money. We the backers gave money because it was an indy thing now is part of facebook. He became a millionaire and that’s it.

Everyone who gave money, at least those who gave enough only got the product and that’s it, they will not get newer or final model, since they made all that possible but hey we gave you your product that’s it.

I don’t feel a sense of gratitute (there is not suppos to be) because in the end all they are doing is selling a product in advance, and that is how I see the whole thing. Just that is a product that may exist or not even if they get the funding.

So why pay money to help a product materialize if I could wait and buy it cheaper?

I ask for a job position on oculus for example, the answer is no, I don’t have the required skills. Neither had him but we believed in his proposition, now he doesn’t care about no one.

Same thing with you, or any other Kickstarter, they talk about a promise, but when the company ends being famous they forget how they started by people who believed.

I had and have many dreams, I have been trying to work in the industry for many years, but of course I can’t have the experience unless someone give me the first chance.

Do you think any of those kickstarter is really going to care?

I loved the idea of Kickstarter because I felt a sense of community, I don’t know how to explain it to you and I probably sound selfish and childish, but I feel Kickstarter is just another business proposition.

I think that who ask money on kickstarter sees the backers as a number, as a client, and that’s it, and for that kind of business model we already have everything else.

Yes I got very dissapoited with the whole Oculus thing and I am very happy never gave money to Ouya.

This is no personal, I really wish you guys get the money, I will buy the game on steam when it comes out, but at that point it will be a sure thing and not just a promise.

Will you give me work? I promise I will be good no matter my experience or Knowledge.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Sooner you realize how “the system” works the better for you.

Nothing is fair, interest is everything.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So what I read of your post Albert is, that you expect the projects to also employ the backers as well? That is a bit naive, as the most projects already have either people employed or people in sight to do the job, preferably the kind of who have at least a bit of knowledge about how things should be done.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-07-11

PM

tomimt - 21 July 2014 09:47 AM

So what I read of your post Albert is, that you expect the projects to also employ the backers as well? That is a bit naive, as the most projects already have either people employed or people in sight to do the job, preferably the kind of who have at least a bit of knowledge about how things should be done.

I don’t expect you understand, and I don’t meant that as a bad thing, just that is something that I don’t think I could explain very clearly.

Is not about money or anything is kind of complex I saw Kickstarter or any crowdfunding webpage as an utopic reality probably.

So don’t worry if you don’t get my point. In any case I don’t want to create more offtopic.

As I said, best of luck.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

tomimt - 21 July 2014 07:50 AM

You really can’t, and even should not, look at Kickstarter as some kind of price guatantee system, as that is not what it’s all about.

Intent is irrelevant here. In both cases I pay money and get a game. One case has considerably more risk, so I expect a higher return on investment, i.e. lower price for the same outcome.
Projects don’t have to see eye to eye with me, but I personally never pre-order or otherwise get involved with companies that screw the people who have faith in them.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Not sure I understand the argument against crowd funding being made here. They show you a game idea, if you like it, you give them the value of it early and they give you extra rewards too the more you fund them. If you don’t like it or not sure, wait till it’s out or don’t fund it. Easy really.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I think the main problem is disproportion between investment, risk and reward.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The risk is something that should be looked at, but like everything, it’s a gamble.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 21 July 2014 01:56 PM

The risk is something that should be looked at, but like everything, it’s a gamble.

Like Calavera fixed his tables and fooled everyone in GF Wink, there is no fair gamble here,not anymore after atleast 3 recent KS scams.

But Steve is our well known genre and community member so nothing could wrong in his case.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

nomadsoul - 21 July 2014 03:16 PM

Like Calavera fixed his tables and fooled everyone in GF Wink, there is no fair gamble here,not anymore after atleast 3 recent KS scams.

Which recent 3 ?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 21 July 2014 03:16 PM

Scams? What scams? Smile
Even Putin joined kickstarter now Smile
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-21-a-few-extraordinary-pledges-secure-areal-kickstarter-success

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top