• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Have we had enough of Kickstarters and Remakes ?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

for me i think i had it,
For Kickstarters 1st i wanna play those Adventure i pledged for before i start to think about giving anything more!
The same even go for those i hadn’t pledge for but highly awaiting for just the same.

The number of awaited kickstared Adventures actually are becoming huge and the number of those came out are nothing maybe less than 5% of the pledged successful kickstarters .. so for me no more caring about kickstarter ,i am just waiting for those come out.

As for the remakes, some were very enjoyable and really filled my nostalgia, the best was IA Space Quest II i really enjoyed it to the max, but then some others were so disappointing to the extend that i lost my good memories about the original, even suspected them.
sometimes it feels, Devs squeezing the last good memory out of a Classic and i am not just talking about remakes, adding tothis using the classic IPs which sometimes can get things even worse, i.e i think after Tales of MI no one is really interested to see Guybursh in an new adventure .. though before that we were begging (literally) !!

I say its time ,enough with the flat remakes and to move on to a full-Makeovers (new games, that hold just the same title and the main Story but completely different content), just like almost all of the Hollywood remakes.

Devs gotta consider that. i don’t have an idea about what are the odds to do such a thing… from the hold-masters and the copyrights issues, through developing until reception .

But i would love to see something like that happens .

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I have no problem with Kickstarter or backing things I’m interested in - even to this day. I have a very relaxed attitude towards the whole Kickstarter thing. To me, it’s more like rolling a dice and hoping for a six. Sometimes I’ll get a six and win the jackpot, but most of the times I won’t.

Sure, it’d suck if a lot of the games turned out bad or didn’t turn up at all, but I won’t really lose any sleep over it at this point.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Are kickstarters even working?I mean…I’m not really into these things but I think there are a lot of kickstarter games that got so much money but are still “in production” for years and years.Where’s that Double Fine adventure game?Did Schaefer release it yet?

And why is Broken Sword 4 gonna be released only by digital download?Last time I checked that’s what I saw Confused

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

To answer the question: Not really, but I’m becoming more selective and wary now, both because of finances and also several projects I’ve backed either not delivering or being disappointing. But I still believe in Kickstarter, look at Broken Sword 5 - would we have gotten a back-to-its-roots Broken Sword without Kickstarter? Project Eternity, Torment, and Wastelands 2 also look very promising and have me excited.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Stuart - 02 August 2013 04:30 PM

To answer the question: Not really, but I’m becoming more selective and wary now, both because of finances and also several projects I’ve backed either not delivering or being disappointing. But I still believe in Kickstarter, look at Broken Sword 5 - would we have gotten a back-to-its-roots Broken Sword without Kickstarter? Project Eternity, Torment, and Wastelands 2 also look very promising and have me excited.

Lol I said Broken Sword 4 up there,sorry I meant 5 Tongue

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Too early to ask this, not a single “big shot” Kickstarter adventure apart from Larry remake has been released yet Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

This same conversation is currently going on in the Mystery Game X thread.  Wink  I will just say that I think the people who donated solely because of the names attached to the projects are the most likely to end up disappointed.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

The only one I have donated to was BS5 and only because I truly believe in what they pitched. Going back to their roots was a huge selling point. They also offered some really cool perks.

In regards to some remakes and licenses being abused I tend to agree. I liked the Tales of MI series but the Sam and Max ones are really bad in my opinion. Larry was not worth the money.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

‘Resonance’ was Indiegogo-ed and is my favourite adventure game from the past few years, and I did really like the Larry remake (despite its lack of ambition).

Before that, almost all the ‘new’ adventures I’d played in the few recent years (barring some fun Japanese DS titles) have been painfully dire.  So more Kickstarters please.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Remakes? Yes.
Kickstarters? Not really. It’s too early, and nothing really exciting has come up yet anyway.

What I’d really like to see is neither remakes nor kickstarters, but rereleases. There are dozens of old games I am incapable of running because they are incompatible. If someone could get on the relatively easy job of fixing that and selling them cheap, I’d be set for years and years of adventure gaming. And I’d have the added bonus of being saved from having to endure more mediocre remakes and kickstarters.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Zifnab - 02 August 2013 06:48 PM

What I’d really like to see is neither remakes nor kickstarters, but rereleases. There are dozens of old games I am incapable of running because they are incompatible. If someone could get on the relatively easy job of fixing that and selling them cheap, I’d be set for years and years of adventure gaming. And I’d have the added bonus of being saved from having to endure more mediocre remakes and kickstarters.

Isn’t that what GOG does? Anyway, I can’t really think of any adventure that can’t be run with DOSBox/ScummVM/VirtualBox.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Kurufinwe - 02 August 2013 06:51 PM
Zifnab - 02 August 2013 06:48 PM

Isn’t that what GOG does? Anyway, I can’t really think of any adventure that can’t be run with DOSBox/ScummVM/VirtualBox.

GOG only sells the popular games. You might be right about emulators but most of us (including me) are too lazy to set up 10 different OSes. The fact GOG has done so well tells me the compatibility business is a very worthwhile one. There’s also the fact I also have to find these obscure games, the physical copies.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

I think people expect too much from Kickstarter. During the developement of a game things happen, release dates are pushed back all the time and more money is needed. But since this is between the developer and whoever is paying him its no problem, but here devs are responsible to backers who seem to forget that things go wrong. I still think people take Kickstarter as a store, they see the estimated release date and think that is when it will come out.

The Larry is the first to come out, but it already had the whole story written, the animations are a bit cheap and the game is really short. And yet even Larry didn’t come out in the est. time.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The thing with publishers is, that sometimes they are needed. Some people need supervision in order for them to produce something good and in those cases the publisher is a good party do it.

From the KS projects I’ve backed it’s pretty obvious, that some of these “old stars” and many of the new people as well, would definetly benefit from such supervision. They may have felt, that the publisher has held them down, when in fact the publisher demands has helped them to deliver.

Then there’s the people who seem to do well in the KS climate. Brian Fargo is a prime example of developer, who seems to have very good grasp on where to spend the money and how to deliver product in a reasonable time. But then again, he’s not only a developer, but a long time producer as well.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

People are hopefully more educated on the game development process now, and what it means to back a Kickstarter project. It doesn’t matter who’s funding the game—whether it’s the fans or a publisher—things can go wrong. You aren’t guaranteed anything. If you’re not confident then don’t back the project.

I think what we’re seeing is an adjustment in expectations. I don’t mean to pick on Larry (it’s just the most recent release), but I don’t think we’ll see over 3000 people pay $50+ for Larry 2 like they did Reloaded. The novelty’s wearing off, as it should. Nostalgia should only get a project so far; games need to be rewarded for their creativity.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

I’ve supported 6 Kickstarter projects and 2 Indiegogo. All of them were successes and all of them are on track for publishing and all of them would not have been made were it not for crowdfunding. What was the question again?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top