• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

To all the people talking about the 2GB limit in iOS… GOG.com has the Tesla Effect download listed at 1.3GB in size. Can that be right?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

AstroChicken - 20 April 2014 06:39 PM

To all the people talking about the 2GB limit in iOS… GOG.com has the Tesla Effect download listed at 1.3GB in size. Can that be right?

No way. That’s probably the size of the demo.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

no that’s the demo , the full game is about 15gb

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

By the looks of things, nobody has noticed and/or mentioned that the release date has been pushed back.

Full story here:

https://www.facebook.com/bigfinishgames/photos/a.10150280112208117.354110.135519243116/10152385870303117/?type=1&theater;

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

dave_minall - 21 April 2014 04:51 AM

By the looks of things, nobody has noticed and/or mentioned that the release date has been pushed back.

Full story here:

https://www.facebook.com/bigfinishgames/photos/a.10150280112208117.354110.135519243116/10152385870303117/?type=1&theater;

We’ve talked quite a bit about it a page or two back when it was announced.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

my bad!

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Just read this, eh, preview? opinion? news piece? on RPS http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/23/tesla-affected-tex-murphy-delayed-and-demoed/
It consists mostly of whining “Oh why this game is so old-school, it’s not for me and it won’t make new fans”. After the Moebius review that complained about similar things, this only confirms my suspicions. And not just about RPS, but about the whole gaming journalism. Old-school games and devs are getting a harsh critique demonstrating they are not welcomed, while interactive movies are praised as something progressive and exceptional. And while journalists keep repeating “we need all kind of games”, they still expect casual gameplay from adventure (and all other) games. I didn’t think about this before, but now I’m afraid they will try to minimise the sales of Tex Murphy by biased and extremely picky (and sarcastic, of course) reviews. I really don’t want this to happen to Tex.

PS On the other side, I’m glad people in RPS comments are raising the same questions. I’m not registered there, but I hope those who do will support them.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

Yeah, it’s annoying when adventure game articles/reviews are written by people who obviously don’t like the genre anyway, so it doesn’t really matter if the game is good or bad.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

At least it seems to acknoweldge that it’s a stylistic choice and it’s consistent with what the team is going for.

I thought the demo was great but it certainly suffers from “adventure game logic” where things just don’t work because the game told you they don’t, despite the obvious alternatives if this game were in the real world. I need to build a ladder because the game told me I need to, despite the fact that I could easily jump across, use the broken ladder, or use my flying car. I need to find a new hammer because my old hammer got “used up” when I made the ladder. I need to solve a complicated gear puzzle to get past a half-open passage door instead of just ducking my head slightly.

These sorts of obstacles make sense to adventure gamers and they’ve long been a part of the genre, but they might seem silly to someone else.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

As I said on RPS discussion, the ladder puzzle is pretty bad, there’s no way around it. It’s just an annoying treasure hunt to complete a puzzle that makes very little sense, just like one commenter noted, because Tex has a flying car. One little gap on a bridge isn’t really an issue.

But then again, that whole puzzle is a throwback on old Tex games with similarily silly puzzles. But overall the puzzles on the demo are pretty solid.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The style of puzzle design is very old school. It’s extremely dense—there might be as many objects in the demo as in the entirety of Broken Age Act 1—and the obstacles usually feel arbitrary and artificial (why is there a screwdriver on a lily pad in a toxic river? Why would someone put only a hammer in a locked closet while leaving another hammer outside on a stool? etc). There’s nothing wrong with this per se, but it’s a stylistic choice, and it’s fair to point out that this game is steeped in 90s adventure gaming convention, because it is.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have it any other way. This is a pitch-perfect continuation of the old games, with improved technology and interface, and it’s better than I could have fantasized when I backed the Kickstarter. But if you have an existing problem with 90s adventure games, don’t expect this to be the game that changes your mind.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

With just over a week to go before release, Big Finish Games have released a bunch of interesting production stats, facts and figures about the game:

- 140 hours of green screen footage shot
- 5 1/2 hours of final composited Full Motion Video sequences (in-game)
- 2,800 composited and completed VFX shots
- 1,024 individual video clips (in the game)
- 4,000 video edits
- 32 Terabytes of working data
- 2TB of final uncompressed 2K video masters
- Over 7,000 voice overs, and 500 sound effects
- 2 hours of original music
- 31 game environments, 11 of which were created specifically for video backdrops
- Over 7,000 individual art assets
- Over 147,000 lines of code
- Over 1,000 game-play steps
- 3 unique storyline paths
- 5 different endings

All created by:

- 3 artists / VR builders
- 2 Full motion video visual Effects and 3D Artists
- 3 programmers
- 4 scripters
- 1 project manager

...and all thanks to a total contribution of $657,196 from 7,000 loyal backers, fans and supporters.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

And the best of all:

- 1 week until release! Smile

but seriously, that’s a lot of video, anyone knows how does it compare to PD or Overseer?

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

wilco - 29 April 2014 08:07 PM

And the best of all:

- 1 week until release! Smile

but seriously, that’s a lot of video, anyone knows how does it compare to PD or Overseer?

I remember a discussion about this where it was said that UAKM had 3 hours, Pandora 3.5, and Overseer under 2. I can’t vouch for any of those numbers since I’m going from memory though, but I know they were well under Tesla Effect’s mark.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Atlus streamed about an hour of this on Twitch. I had to watch it with the sound off because I was at work (also helps avoid spoilers), but it looks fantastic. Chandler Ave is especially looking really good, and it has an especially strong impact because it’s such an iconic, classic location.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top