• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

Well folks, we have been given permission to share the first official capture from the game’s FMV! Here it is!

Enjoy, and be sure to follow the twitter for ongoing project updates.

-Cub. =o)

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Hot.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Look at the Quality !! ... that is a new/great standard for FMVs adventures .
maybe i will play my 1st Tex game sometime soon Smile

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

FMV…*shudder*

To each their own.  I’ll be staying away from this one.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Tex Murphy on the set of Real Housewives of post World War III San Francisco.

Total Posts: 2984

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Seems great!

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Nice. The actors look nicely integrated into the scene. It’s much more seamless than in most other FMV games.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-23

PM

Really surprised at some of the reaction to tex murphy/FMV,  i assumed that literally everyone in the AG community and adventuregamers.com regulars in particular would be eagerly looking forward to this, kinda interesting to me, even in a niche community tastes still vary relatively widely.

I steadfastly kept away from FMV for the longest time, until i finally hit the wall and it seemed like there were no more decent adventures left to play. I scoured lists and reviews and so on for just one more half decent adventure and every where i went i saw the name Tex Murphy, so i took a leap of faith and got under a killing moon.
It was a freaking blast, the last 3 tex games are up there in adventure game pantheon knocking back whiskey at the side of the myst series.
Being the permanently skint type i’ve been unable to donate to the kickstarter but if i could i’d donate thousands without a second thought.
The capture looks fantastic and i really can’t wait to get back to san fran.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Bliss - 02 June 2013 07:37 AM

i assumed that literally everyone in the AG community and adventuregamers.com regulars in particular would be eagerly looking forward to this, kinda interesting to me, even in a niche community tastes still vary relatively widely.

I’ve never played Tex Murphy, but in almost all other instances where I’ve encountered FMV (except for Command & Conquer and Red Alert for some reason) I’ve thought it was absolutely horrible and ruined what could potentially be a good game.

From what I’ve gathered it seems people are pretty much 50/50 on the whole FMV thing around here Smile

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Bliss - 02 June 2013 07:37 AM

Really surprised at some of the reaction to tex murphy/FMV

Not everyone needs to be the “fan” of FMV, or cartoon-like 2D drawing, and that’s fine, although I think hyper-production of 90s gave FMV a “bad name” - Tex Murphy (like GK2 for example), is the least probable “suspect” that you’re not getting a “game” but only full-motion video show off.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m not a FMV fan. I only played GK2 back in the day because I certainly was a GK fan. But later on I gave FMV the chance and found out that I had mostly let other people’s opinions influence me. It’s really not bad at all, even though it is not my favourite graphics style.

Besides, Chris Jones is lovely <3 (and the ss looks good).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The FMVs sequences with decent to good acting is an important part of what makes the Tex Murphy games charisma. But what made them amazing and some of the best adventure games ever were the investigation gameplay with 3d fully explorable environments and great writing and puzzles.

This is looking good but what the hell is Tex wearing? Tongue

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

wilco - 02 June 2013 09:00 AM

The FMVs sequences with decent to good acting is an important part of what makes the Tex Murphy games charisma. But what made them amazing and some of the best adventure games ever were the investigation gameplay with 3d fully explorable environments and great writing and puzzles.

This is looking good but what the hell is Tex wearing? Tongue

Agreed.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lambonius - 01 June 2013 11:03 PM

FMV…*shudder*

To each their own.  I’ll be staying away from this one.

You’re a fool. The Tex games aren’t really FMV games any more than like… Wing Commander 3. They use FMV in exactly the right way; to give the scripted/story scenes a cinematic feel rather than staring at jabbering talk cycles staring blankly at each other.

All the gameplay is real-time, 3D, and they’re some of the best designed adventure games ever. They don’t do any of that awful Phantasmagoria/Beast Within crap where they try to make the FMV part of the gameplay and everything you do.

The fact is, without using live action, there would be no way to accomplish something of the scope and production value of Tex Murphy on a reasonable budget. Even if you don’t like the aesthetic, it lets them make a better game, and it’s why the Tex games are so far ahead of like 99% of the adventure genre.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

wilco - 02 June 2013 09:00 AM

Yeah, exactly. The gameplay in these games is great, and the FMV just helps move the story along without reams of text or looped animations.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 02 June 2013 07:59 AM

From what I’ve gathered it seems people are pretty much 50/50 on the whole FMV thing around here Smile

Can I break the tie? Wink Really looking forward to this game, easily my most anticipated out of all the kickstarters. Good to see it coming along nicely.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top