• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Not been a good couple of weeks

Alan Rickman has died aged 69.

rIp professor Snape

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

He’ll always be Hans Gruber to me (and Sheriff of Nottingham to a lesser extent). No actor was such as influence as a “bad guy” to myself as Alan.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s another of my favourite Brits dead at 69 after a battle with cancer this week. Frown

Been a HUGE fan of Rickman ever since Die Hard, and solidified after Robin Hood (where they cut back his scenes because he was stealing the show so much that it was making a mockery out of Costner - not that cutting back his role changed that). Then there were his roles in Quigley Down Under, Judas Kiss, Dogma (as Metatron, the Voice of God), Galaxy Quest (By Grabthar’s Hammer, you shall be avenged!), his iconic role as Snape in the Harry Potter films, his voice work as Marvin the Paranoid Android in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the evil judge in Sweeney Todd, etc.

This was one of my favourite actors, I could practically listen to him narrating a phone book. Heck, he could turn making tea into something epic…

RIP Alan, I will miss you in the movies…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 14 January 2016 09:02 AM

This was one of my favourite actors, I could practically listen to him narrating a phone book. Heck, he could turn making tea into something epic…

Hehe. That’s great. And just few days ago me and my friends were laughing our a… to this meme:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 14 January 2016 08:15 AM

No actor was such as influence as a “bad guy” to myself as Alan.

Alan does not play villains. He plays interesting people. Wink

diego - 14 January 2016 09:16 AM

Hehe. That’s great. And just few days ago me and my friends were laughing our a… to this meme:

Heh, the missus has a yearly habit of watching the first two Home Alone movies and the Gremlins movies around Christmas.

I’m more partial to Die Hard and Bad Santa.

I can definitely relate to that meme.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I can’t believe after the shock news about David Bowie that Alan Rickman had followed him so soon & at the same age too.

I 1st noticed Alan Rickman as a very enigmatic (& extremely fanciable but I did worry about my taste at the time….but I never changed my mind!) character in a UK TV production of The Barchester Chronicles! The next time I came across him he was the dastardly but at the same time hilarious Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - Kevin Costner must have been very ****** *** that he ‘stole the show’ as he had so many funny lines that he carried off with such expertise!

He’s such a memorable character both as an actor & himself with a great aura - what a loss but please R.I.P.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Big Short

A facinating and funny film starring Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling and Steve Carrell. It tells the true story of a bunch of weird Wall Street investment bankers who saw the financial collapse coming and “shorted” the market of Sub Prime Mortgage bonds.

What could have been really dry information is handled really well by comments breaking the forth wall and the “technical bits” being explained with silly skits like Margot Robbie in a bubble bath explaining derivatives.

An informative and interesting movie which satarises the banking industry while showing us how the crash happened.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

nomadsoul - 08 January 2016 06:59 AM

Revenant

Badass beautiful cinematography, over dragged mundane and unimaginative story, predictable
ending.

Its a tech demo of cinema with return of tracking shots.

7/10

Couldn’t agree more. (the score, too). Somewhere halfway through, the movie loses the tempo, and really becomes a drag, without real substance. All in all, it’s not a bad movie, but there’s one more downside - the Tom Hardy’s character is painfully one-dimensional, and it’s just as each scene with Hardy had been done with different director, it’s just that his actions are not consistent (they’re not sure if the character should be selfish liar or some psychopath). Telling a true story is not harder nor easier than doing the fiction, but it seems to me like they were counting on the real story to do much of the work for them, and accented the (beautiful) scenography instead.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

I recently saw the new Star Wars movie, and I have to say, I like it. Concerning story content, it’s on par with episode 4, establishing many questions and expectations that make you want more. Also, I am happy with the way they handled returning characters. It comes across smoothly and not as if they are shouting: “Wooo! CAMEO!”.

It has a bit more action and more explosions, BUT luckily it does not rely solely on these effects. As this is a common problem these days*, and something I was afraid of happens, I am glad it did not come to this.

The explosion of the death star still looked better than the one in this movie. Wink

Little spoiler:

The prosthetic hand industry of a galaxy far, far away must be kept alive solely by the demands of anyone with Skywalker blood in their veins. Seriously?

I also like the theory why R2-D2 only woke long after BB-8 first met him - he was booting up, but had to install about 30 years worth of updates first. Wink

EDIT: Also, little side note, I am proud to say that this movie actually passes the Bechdel test. I probably would have liked the movie anyway, even if it didn’t pass (after all, the other movies don’t pass it either), but it makes me happy to see nonetheless. You’ve got at least two named female characters, talking about something other than guys. I know, sounds easy, but apparently it’s hard to do anyway. The movie actually has at least three named females, and many ladies in the background. Which is probably nice for the guys in the background too, it must have been pretty sad and lonely with only a handful of female characters (even just in the background) to go around in the original trilogy.

- Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

* A good example are the Die Hard movies. While the old ones had lots of calm time and talking, eventually building up to the climax with explosions and stuff, the most recent one (which I really can’t recommend, except to shout at the screen at things like chemicals that supposedly remove radioactivity to a point where you can take off your protection suit you were wearing a second ago. Why are we not using that stuff? ALSO Geigerzaehler-App!) starts with an explosion, proceeds through several explosions, and ends with an explosion (and a crashed helicopter).

- “esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!” Dennis added, and the wizard’s robe caught on fire. “Gosh,” Dennis said, “and some people say higher math isn’t relevant.”

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree that A Good Day to Die Hard is an abomination. I treat it like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I’d rather pretend it doesn’t exist. Smile

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2016-02-01

PM

I saw Once Upon a Time in the West for the third time, after 20 years of “pause”, by pure accident (some internet / comp problems that took couple hours to fix).

It’s still as god as it was back then, especially the music <3

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

To anyone who loves a good mystery movie I recommend:

The Last of Sheila.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Deadpool

The comic book movie season opens up this year with a bang. The movie was surprise doing very well critically and doing extremely well at the box office breaking all kinds of records. And i have to say it’s entirely deserved. Not as good as Kingsman last year but it’s a very funny trip all around while being extremely faithful to the source material. Ryan Reynolds kills it as Deadpool with a great amount of jokes and 4th wall breaking. Shots fired in every direction including Marvel movies, Fox, DC movies, etc.
And it’s clearly a passion project for the actor and the first time director (he worked on Mass Effect 2 btw Smile ) so it’s great to see it doing so well. Promising start for the year.

Also saw The Big Short but thought it was really really boring… I guess I might a casual movie viewer now Smile

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I aagree Deadpool was very funny and better than I thought it was going to be. Ryan Reynolds nailed the character and wasn’t afraid to poke fun at himself as well as everything else.

ALthough I disagree about The Big Short. I enjoyed that film, but maybe it’s the Accountant in me that liked it.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 14 February 2016 02:57 PM

ALthough I disagree about The Big Short. I enjoyed that film, but maybe it’s the Accountant in me that liked it.

Yeah, the fact I didn’t understand (and didn’t care) about half they were talking about was probably the main reason. It did have good acting and was well made.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top