• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I endorse love for The Ninth Gate! Thumbs Up

It was indeed a great movie. And I don’t mind the slow pace in the least. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I know I saw The Ninth Gate and liked it but can’t really remember much about it. Should re-watch.

Bitter Moon, on the other hand, is carved into my memory, amazing intense movie.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I watched Kingsman and it was a really pleasant surprise. Haven’t really heard anything about it. It was hilarious and it looked awesome.

Also went to see Avengers: The Age of Ultron which wasn’t quite as great but it’s still sci-fi and superheroes, not to mention sexy evil AIs and robots and androids, yeah.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Avengers: The Age of Ultron was a lot of fun.

Does a decent-ish job of telling a current story while dropping hints at the 1000 other Marvel projects that are ongoing at the moment. Black Panther, check, hint at Civil War, check, Ragnarock, check, Infinity Gauntlet story, Big check.

James Spader was really good as Ultron and the action sequences were great.

Not quite as good as the first one, but up there.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Age of Ultron was mildly disappointing to me. Felt too much like the first one. Didn’t feel the stakes or risks were higher. Still good harmless fun.
I agree that James Spader was great. Also liked the Scarlet Witch. Quicksilver was cooler in X-Men.

I wonder if Marvel will forever keep the films light or will go into some darker Avengers stories like DIsassembled, Planet Hulk or others. I guess Civil War will show if they are willing to shake up things, I’m very interested to see what they’ll do with it.

Scarlet Witch also has a big part in Avengers history, so it’s good to see her, although it’s weird not seeing her related to mutants…

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Jeremy Renner, who plays Hawkeye, sang a funny song about his superpowers on The Tonight Show last week. The link isn’t working, but just do a search for Hawkeye sings.

Edit - Try this link:
Hawkeye sings

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2015-04-29

PM

The best moments in “Age of Ultron” for me were the Hawkeye moments. When he tells Scarlet Witch the city’s floating, they’re fighting an army of robots, he has a bow and arrow - “none of it makes sense.” Or when he snarks about possibly sniping Quicksilver: “No one would know.” Totally made up for turning him into a puppet in the first movie.

Knee Deep swamp noir adventure: http://kneedeepgame.com

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Wild Tales AKA Relatos Salvajes was a great dark comedy that had me on edge of suspense one moment, then made me laughing hard the other. It could be a little hard to come by, since it’s Argentinian movie.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

lucebend - 05 May 2015 03:07 AM

Wild Tales AKA Relatos Salvajes

Thanks a lot for that recommendation. I just checked German Amazon, and it’s available. Added to my list.

I absolutely loved the Argentinian oscar movie El secreto de sus ojos aka The Secret in Their Eyes from 2009.
I checked it out because Agustin Cordes recommended it, and it instantly became one of my all-time favorites.  I have seen that Ricardo Darin is also starring in Wild Tales, so that’s another good reason to get that film. Smile

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

When was the last time you saw a good different horror movie, well not totally different as it plays with some old tropes and takes cues from Japanese horror films but plays the idea around and nails it in Western setting like Grudge US remake.
The presentation thanks to cinematography and retro electronic music makes it really memorable film, absolute must see.

Don’t watch the trailer, take my word and see it, avoid spoilers.

Tropa De Elite 2

5/5

Favelas, Guns, politics, Corruption , violence.
Wagnar Moura acts like a Boss, love his acting, and he delivers the performance in this sequel with aplomb as expected.
Gritty, hi octane Brazilian drama sets benchmark in action and grittiness, not just in
Brazilian cinema but overall.
(well this series also served inspiration for Maxpayne3 Wink )

Wagnar got his deserved attention, though got side role in Elysium is now casted in Magnificent seven along with Denzel.

Also,

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/netflix-series-narcos-to-star-wagner-moura-as-drug-kingpin-pablo-escobar-1201151156/

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 07 May 2015 04:41 AM

5/5

Favelas, Guns, politics, Corruption , violence.
Wagnar Moura acts like a Boss, love his acting, and he delivers the performance in this sequel with aplomb as expected.
Gritty, hi octane Brazilian drama sets benchmark in action and grittiness, not just in
Brazilian cinema but overall.
(well this series also served inspiration for Maxpayne3 Wink )

Wagnar got his deserved attention, though got side role in Elysium is now casted in Magnificent seven along with Denzel.

Also,

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/netflix-series-narcos-to-star-wagner-moura-as-drug-kingpin-pablo-escobar-1201151156/

Thumbs Up Tropa de Elite series is top. The director Jose Padilha was undermined in Robocop by the Hollywood machine, hopefully he’ll bounce back with Narcos.

For another great Brasilian movie try Cidade de Deus by Fernando Meirelles.

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

@Ingmar
No, thank you. Last night I watched El secreto de sus ojos with my BF and was delighted. We discussed movie for two hours after watching it. It’s very different than Wild Tales, slow - paced and serious. And, I have no idea why, but it reminded me of Doctor Zhivago.

Ciudade de Deus is fantastic. Although emotionally powerful and direct, Tropa de Elite (1) was too melodramatic and preachy for my taste. That’s why I haven’t watched the second part. Frown

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

El Secreto de sus Ojos is great. Even the missus liked it (although she unsurprisingly called it “slow”). Cidade de Deus made my jaw drop both times that I watched it (be sure to check out Meirelles’s The Constant Gardener as well - possibly the best John Le Carré adaptation I’ve ever seen). And both Tropa de Elite films are superb as well (and they’re among those rare cases where the second one is arguably better than the first).

Thus I’m frantically making a note of Relatos Salvajes. Thanks!

About Robocop: don’t let a mainstream project like that lessen your opinion of Padilha. Once he gets to direct a film his way again, he’ll hit the good marks again.
I’m glad Belgian actor Matthias Schoenaerts (international star-in-the-making) refused the lead role in Robocop, opting for several leads in smaller award-bait films instead. That Robocop movie was going nowhere from the start, imo…

Lady Kestrel - 03 May 2015 08:33 PM

Jeremy Renner, who plays Hawkeye, sang a funny song about his superpowers on The Tonight Show last week. The link isn’t working, but just do a search for Hawkeye sings.

Edit - Try this link:
Hawkeye sings

So he can sing AND do comedy. Talented guy. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 07 May 2015 03:34 PM

Cidade de Deus made my jaw drop both times that I watched it (be sure to check out Meirelles’s The Constant Gardener as well - possibly the best John Le Carré adaptation I’ve ever seen).

Have you seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? I don’t know how it fares among other Le Carré‘s adaptations but it was a pretty thrilling ride for me. It could also be regarded as “slow” movie.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

lucebend - 07 May 2015 05:14 PM

Have you seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? I don’t know how it fares among other Le Carré‘s adaptations but it was a pretty thrilling ride for me. It could also be regarded as “slow” movie.

That would be my second-favourite Le Carré adaptation. Innocent

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top