• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Now all they need are the X-Men. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

First the Fantastic Four. Fits better with the rest of the Marvel Universe - Galactus!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Birdman - 4/5

Best summed up in two words: meta and ambiguous.
You can take away what you want from this (is it pro-theatre and anti-Hollywood or vice-versa? Is it for or against social media? What exactly happened at the end? etc.), but you can’t deny all the subtle in-jokes, the black comedy, the amazing performances (Keaton is back! My childhood self is giddy!), the great dialogues and the technical achievement of the perceived “oner” (although it’s fairly obvious where cuts were made).

Imo, it’s Iñárritu’s best since Amores Perros.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree, great movie. Seeing Norton again in good roles was also nice. Some of the stuff (meta) reminded me of Adaptation from Spike Jonze.

What’s your take on the ending?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 12 February 2015 10:31 AM

What’s your take on the ending?

I haven’t really decided on any of the theories, but I’m most inclined to think that the entire hospital sequence is a dying afterthought - if only because hospital windows don’t open. I prefer the idea that he died on stage.
Although I also like the idea of Riggan being dead for years (because of the jellyfish) and the entire movie being a dying afterthought.
I’m not in favour of his powers being real and him becoming Birdman in the end.

But, and this is the key part: does it really matter? Wink

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 12 February 2015 05:51 PM

But, and this is the key part: does it really matter? Wink

Yes, that what I said when we were leaving the theatre. I do like the first theory. Everything at the hospital from the plastic surgery to the window felt unrealistic.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Never liked NickCage after Wild at Heart, but this film totally turned my opinion.

He was super badass and awesome, the boy in the back is also rising star, very talented,
(starred in Mud too).

Raw,gritty and brooding.

4/5

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Kingsman: Secret Service

This is the second Mark Miller (Comic book creator) movie Matthew Vaughan has directed after Kickass.

This time around it a comedy spy thriller. Colin Firth plays a gentleman spy who works for the Kingman organisation. A top secret organisation set up from the lapsed billions of the English Elite who died without heirs.

When one dies they remaining member have to bring forward a new recruit to try out for the vacant slot. Firth puts forward a unemployed street kid from the hood who shows promise.

Soon they face off against Samuel L Jackson as an evil software billionaire who wants to destroy the planet.

It plays with old Bond like tropes and the ideas of class etc through the movie right down to the evil villians base and while it’s nothing new it’s a hoot.

I really enjoyed it.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Imitation Game

Objectively, solid movie which does hold your attention but still a letdown to me. There’re many little annoyances like - why the team of scientists were so determined to help the main character, when there’s no hint of a bond between them until then? Why the biggest cryptography minds of Britain ask stupid (to say the least) questions about Enigma (“Can we just return the crypted message into Enigma?” No, because they wouldn’t need your help in that case, would they?)...

Also, it’s not a deal-breaker, but don’t expect the scientific-historical film. All we see of Enigma is that there’s some giant metal contraption over there that is spinning. It’s a human study, above all, using WW2 and real-life story only as its diorama. 3/5

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Michiel de Ruyter. He was a Hero. Good movie.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Ironically the most American of any dutch movie even produced.

I haven’t seen it yet, critical reception has been mixed sofar….some like the production values and the action, some question the historical accuracy and the difficulty for the viewer to keep track of the battles.

I might still check it out

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kingsman

Very entertaining action-comedy. Church scene is memorable, big take with mixture of shaky-cam intensity but with very visible and defined movements. I think one of better action close combat scenes in commercial movies in recent years.

Also some of the stuff that happens in last part of the movie is hilarious and unexpected Fireworks scene. I also wonder how the movie is viewed in Sweden? Smile

What about the news Neill Blomkamp will do a new Aliens and Dennis Villeneuve a Blade Runner sequel with Harrison Ford? Crazy times but cautiously optimistic for both movies.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Focus

Will Smith and Margot Robbie (who I haven’t heard of) star in a heist/con type film.

There are some really good things and some not so good in the film, but the end result is an entertaining and clever (in that “Hustle” sort of way) film with some good performances from both main characters, which is one of the strengths of the film. As well as the obligatory twist at the end there are other moments when things look like they are going a certain way and then change, some more subtle than others, but all pleasing enough to see.

The less good parts include the “3 years later” transition from the first to the second part of the film and some of Margot Robbie’s character’s attitudes (as written rather than performed). The ending is just about satisfying as the “twist” is OK but not great.

On the whole, a good fun movie that is a worthy distraction for a couple of hours.

I think my main gripe is that it feels like it is nearly a great film, but somehow not quite.

3.5/5

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 27 March 2015 06:11 AM

Margot Robbie (who I haven’t heard of)

The Wolf of Wall Street made her instantly famous (outside of Australia where she had starred in Neighbours for a few years). Wink

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

A few days ago I re-watched The Ninth Gate.

I absolutely LOVE this movie. I know some people think it’s boring, but I couldn’t name one thing I dislike about it.  While Angel Heart will always be my #1 occult movie, The Ninth Gate is easily on #2.  I can’t help it, but each time I see it I feel like it would be a perfect adventure game (lots of locations, the way the story is structured, a lot of investigations). Anyway, definitely on my list of favorite movies of all time.

Another Polanski movie I want to re-watch soon is Bitter Moon, which is another fim I have very fond memories of.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top