• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventures that made a difference that was followed? 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

There are many great games out there but not every great one had its Stamp over the Genre or at least added something that wasn’t there before it came up with something that was followed whether how insignificant it might be but it gets Followed anyhow,

Explain?
like without Mystery House there would not be Graphic adventure (yeah maybe someone else would have made it, but that is not the point)
without Maniac Mansion there would not be verbs control or was it Labyrinth ?
without Myst there would never be Myst’s Clones Grin
without Hero’s Quest ; RPGs and Adventure Gaming wouldn’t have merged
even without Tunguska there would not be the Hotspot revealer or was it Discworld ?

i wanna make a clip for the evolution of AGs from texting on a black Screen to the Fully animated 3D ones those (methods) which that shown up once at an adventure and it wasn’t there before then were followed until we have forgotten who or when it came out

was Grim Fandango the 1st to use Direct Control instead of Point and click ?..

so guys i need your help to compile the titles that were behind those features to take place and to be included at any new adventure ..even the ones that wasn’t really followed or appreciated (by the market) like LSL7 verbs texting that get added over the ones the game provid from start .

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Good mornin’ advie (yawn),how’s the weather today,i like to give hand but first have to drink my coffee then need to go out running.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

- Colossal Cave Adventure is considered the first adventure game and the genre’s namesake.
- Simon the Sorcerer II had hotspot reveal.
- 7th Guest is slightly older than Myst.
- I can’t think of any other game to use Sam & Max Hit the Road’s icon-based dialog options or partner-abuse mechanic, so that might be worth a mention if someone else confirms.
- Direct Control is much older than that. Some of the older Sierra games combined Direct Control with a text parser.
- A lot of firsts can be found at Wikipedia.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 19 May 2013 03:02 AM

Good mornin’ advie (yawn),how’s the weather today,i like to give hand but first have to drink my coffee then need to go out running.

good morning Gabe though i haven’t slept from yesterday Cool

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

First FMV is difficult. Definitely 7th Guest for full use of movie-style video+sound but what about Mean Streets?

Monkey Island 2: First use of iMUSE (important because it was the first time music and action in the game were synchronized together).

The Lurking Horror: First sound effects in an adventure game? (not sure about this)

Advie - 19 May 2013 01:07 AM

King’s Quest?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Zifnab - 19 May 2013 03:53 AM

King’s Quest?

but not fully controlled , yeah you move Graham with the Arrows but then you gotta text ... at grim fandango you never get to use the mouse.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

Discworld Noir - first time heavy usage of abstract ideas as items in a non-joke way. Since then a great many point&click; adventures adapted and experimented with its system.

Eternam - the player character indicates the hotspot to interact with by looking directly at it, followed by Shadow of the Comet, Grim Fandango etc.

Metropolis, Lure of the Tempress - adventure games in real time with puzzles based around that (there have been many with turn-based time advancement prior)

The Last Express - first AG in real time + time-manipulation mechanic to compensate for nasty consequences of certain choices, followed by Braid

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

First FMV is difficult. Definitely 7th Guest for full use of movie-style video+sound but what about Mean Streets?

Dragon’s Lair used FMV in 1983, but then again there’s a question of if it’s an adventure game, QTE game or an action game.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The 7th Guest was influential because it was the first game to use the full capacity of the CD-Rom, requiring 2-CDs (although the second CD is only 78 megs!). It was the killer app of the CD-Rom.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

tomimt - 19 May 2013 05:34 PM

Dragon’s Lair used FMV in 1983, but then again there’s a question of if it’s an adventure game, QTE game or an action game.

I just looked it up and watched this full gameplay:

Where is the FMV? Forgive me if it’s a dumb question but I don’t see any.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Ascovel - 19 May 2013 03:50 PM

The Last Express - first AG in real time + time-manipulation mechanic to compensate for nasty consequences of certain choices, followed by Braid

Hmm. I haven’t played TLE but Cruise for a Corpse had a real-time element, meaning that you had to be in a certain place at a certain time or you missed the action and I believe Colonel’s Bequest used a similar system even before that time. Not sure about the consequences of not following the time-patterns, though, as I never got very far in either of these games.

How about Maniac Mansion for the option to switch between multiple playable characters? Also, which was the first game to introduce a point system? Was it one of Sierra’s or older even (a Legend text adventure maybe)?

No good deed goes unpunished

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

maladroid - 19 May 2013 08:54 PM
Ascovel - 19 May 2013 03:50 PM

Hmm. I haven’t played TLE but Cruise for a Corpse had a real-time element, meaning that you had to be in a certain place at a certain time or you missed the action and I believe Colonel’s Bequest used a similar system even before that time. Not sure about the consequences of not following the time-patterns, though, as I never got very far in either of these games.

I think Mortville Manor may have been the first realtime detective game. It should be on the list anyway for first digitized speech.

I think we need to clarify what we mean by realtime. Below the Root featured other things moving without you doing anything, is that realtime?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Should we include games like Toonstruck and Grim Fandango? Games that were instrumental in killing triple A adventure games by being spectacular flops.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

without Maniac Mansion there would not be verbs control or was it Labyrinth ?

Unless I’m mistaken, the Macintosh version of Deja Vu was released in 1985 so I think that predates both of them. I don’t know if that was the first one either - I would not be surprised if it wasn’t - but it was the first graphical adventure I saw that used a fixed set of verbs. (Examine, Open, Close, Speak, Operate, Go, Hit and Consume.)

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

The Hobbit was released in 1982 and was real-time. It probably wasn’t even the first text adventure to do so.

It is also important to make a distinction between games that are timed and games that are real-time. They are completely different things, though they can, of course, appear in the same game.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

maladroid - 19 May 2013 08:54 PM

How about Maniac Mansion for the option to switch between multiple playable characters? Also, which was the first game to introduce a point system? Was it one of Sierra’s or older even (a Legend text adventure maybe)?

In the Infocom game Suspended (released in 1983), you had six playable characters that you could switch between. You could even have them do things at the same time, e.g. you could tell one to start walking to another room, and then switch to another one. When the first one reached its destination you would get a message telling you about it. That kind of thing was essential to get a good score in the game because the longer you took, the more people would die. (My score was lousy.)

I think scoring goes back all the way to Colossal Cave. In The History of Zork, Tim Anderson mentions that he “was there when Bruce Daniels ... figured out how to get the last point in Adventure by examining the game with a machine-language debugger.” (Apparently you had to drop a seemingly unimportant object in a particular room for no good reason. It wasn’t necessary to win the game, though. Just to get “the last lousy point”.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top