• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Double Fine Adventure is… Broken Age

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Zifnab - 25 March 2013 07:07 PM

Yep. We’re just neolithic apes unwilling to accept progress. Of course! That explains it then. Thanks for showing us the light!

LOL I don’t think I said that. No need to get offended and be passive aggressive.

All I’m saying is that it might be a good option to be flexible and keep an open mind about the game. Maybe the level of humor will surprise you? Smile

And as a side note, judging by recent threads on Telltale, I’d say the AG community is indeed somewhat reticent of change. Not all change is necessarily for the better, but Tim is hardly abandoning his comic roots. I guess I genuinely don’t relate to why people are less excited about Tim’s new game based on the title and small implications for the story’s themes. I’m usually interested in seeing how developers tackle new material while fine-tuning their specialties. But that’s just me. Wink

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

inm8#2 - 25 March 2013 07:16 PM
Zifnab - 25 March 2013 07:07 PM

Yep. We’re just neolithic apes unwilling to accept progress. Of course! That explains it then. Thanks for showing us the light!

LOL I don’t think I said that. No need to get offended and be passive aggressive.

All I’m saying is that it might be a good option to be flexible and keep an open mind about the game? Maybe the level of humor will surprise you. Smile

And as a side note, judging by recent threads on Telltale’s style, I’d say the AG community is indeed somewhat reticent of change.

I’d say blatantly insulting people and then saying “don’t take this as criticism” is the exact definition of passive-aggressive.

Accusing people of being resistant to change is the easy way out. Threads on Telltale don’t tell us anything except some people don’t like The Walking Dead. It doesn’t say we’re unwilling to embrace the “new” and are stuck in the days of floppy disks, CGA and text parsers.

PS. Anyone who doesn’t like “Conquests of Camelot” is “anti-old” and is unable to open their mind to the brilliance of antique renaissance gaming Smile

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Zifnab - 25 March 2013 07:35 PM

I’d say blatantly insulting people and then saying “don’t take this as criticism” is the exact definition of passive-aggressive.

Accusing people of being resistant to change is the easy way out. Threads on Telltale don’t tell us anything except some people don’t like The Walking Dead. It doesn’t say we’re unwilling to embrace the “new” and are stuck in the days of floppy disks, CGA and text parsers.

PS. Anyone who doesn’t like “Conquests of Camelot” is “anti-old” and is unable to open their mind to the brilliance of antique renaissance gaming Smile

? I haven’t been passive aggressive nor have I insulted anyone. You’re being rather hostile and putting plenty of words in my mouth r.e. accusing you of being neolithic apes, stuck in days of floppy disks, etc. I merely used the Telltale threads as an example, and it’s a good one. TWD does signify a change in the direction of mainstream adventure games, and some people don’t like that. That these discussions arise frequently about what the definition of an adventure game is and such is evidence in and of itself that the AG community has dissenting opinions on the future of the genre. Some want old-school style games, others like the newer styles. This is clear.

And the “don’t take this as criticism” was a sincere comment. I wasn’t criticizing people’s preferences or their right to have them. I was suggesting that while people love certain styles of games, they might find themselves enjoying something about which they’re initially ambiguous (like a new kind of TS game). There was nothing passive aggressive about it. That comment was intended to prevent the kind of reaction you’re emoting, simply suggesting that a different, more open perspective on this news might be useful.

Venting your frustration about the game at me because I’m trying to suggest that Broken Age could very well deliver what you seek doesn’t seem constructive. I’m genuinely baffled by this overreaction.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I guess I genuinely don’t relate to why people are less excited about Tim’s new game based on the title and small implications for the story’s themes.

You’ve got a point inm8#2, but no need to be so defensive about DFA (wouldn’t it be funny if the title remained Double Fine Adventure? Grin) - we all want it to be a great adventure game. Wink Neither you should take close to heart selfish banter - even though I realize there’re people who’re even more satisfied after the new title and story details had been revealed.

And as a side note, judging by recent threads on Telltale, I’d say the AG community is indeed somewhat reticent of change.

Whoa, now, no one talked about “changes” Tongue (btw, I don’t see what criticizing Telltale has anything to do with “not adopting changes” but let’s not steer from the subject). Like I said, it was merely an early remark, which might turn out to be totally wrong once the game is out. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but if you think “change” is in “Schafer’s turn to more mature games instead of a comedy”, than I must confess I don’t quite agree with that - “comedy” is not the opposite of “mature” like it would be to “horror” or other basic genres, and they can complement each other, as I see it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

diego - 25 March 2013 08:04 PM

You’ve got a point inm8#2, but no need to be so defensive about DFA (wouldn’t it be funny if the title remained Double Fine Adventure? Grin) - we all want it to be a great adventure game. Wink Neither you should take close to heart selfish banter - even though I realize there’re people who’re even more satisfied after the new title and story details had been revealed.

Haha, but I’m not being defensive at all. I’m simply providing another perspective and engaging in the discussion. It’s growing rather tiresome that whenever I share a counterargument to the popular sentiment in a thread, you guys simply label me as defensive. I don’t think it’s fair or rational to dismiss other reasonable, alternative points as defensive. If anything the above responses to my posts were extremely defensive, as if I had infringed upon someone’s right to enjoy older classics.

diego - 25 March 2013 08:04 PM

Whoa, now, no one talked about “changes” Tongue (btw, I don’t see what criticizing Telltale has anything to do with “not adopting changes” but let’s not steer from the subject). Like I said, it was merely an early remark, which might turn out to be totally wrong once the game is out. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but if you think “change” is in “Schafer’s turn to more mature games instead of a comedy”, than I must confess I don’t quite agree with that - “comedy” is not the opposite of “mature” like it would be to “horror” or other basic genres, and they can complement each other, as I see it.

I brought up change because some of the ambivalence toward the game/title reveal is coming from the desires to see a full return to Tim’s older, zanier games like DotT (people have posted so). That DFA is something a bit different (not drastically so) is the source of the discussion, no?

Your comments on what I said about “change” entirely misrepresent what I wrote. I’m not sure how you remotely got the idea that I said maturity and comedy are exclusive or incompatible. I spelled the exact opposite out pretty clearly, and that has been my point all along in response to the concerns about Broken Age not being a pure comedy. Did you read my posts thoroughly? See below:

inm8#2 - 25 March 2013 01:51 PM

The art style, the story hints, etc. all suggested a game with humor but mature elements as well.

inm8#2 - 25 March 2013 02:36 PM

I imagine he knows people expect him to bring the humor, and he focused on that from day one to make sure game satisfied people from a comedy standpoint. It’s just going to have some other themes incorporated on top of the humor, that’s all.

I have been saying that the comedy and maturity will complement each other well, that they are not exclusive at all. That is, the comedic element probably won’t suffer from the incorporation of other themes (love, loss, growing up, etc.) on which something like DoTT didn’t focus. I don’t know more about the game than the average backer, but I guess I haven’t seen anything to make me concerned about the humor. Personally I think they’re keeping the game’s jokes/humor low key in the updates so that this material is ‘fresh’ when we actually play Broken Age.

It’s not radical for me to suggest that TS humor + a few other themes can still be true to TS humor and PnC mechanics of the old days. Furthermore, there’s nothing in my posts that’s offensive, defensive, or difficult to understand. So I’m baffled by the responses and misinterpretations, especially with your claim that I’m defensive for making a very basic point (then twisting my words into the exact opposite of what I wrote).

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I hope you’re joking, now…he didn’t insult anybody.

I really can’t see why you got offended, really… I read inm8#2’s post twice, and I don’t find it acusing or offensive, in fact his post is quite polite.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

not digging the artstyle of this game tbh, im wondering how much schafer actually got a say in this project. Atleast i cant directly compare it to anything out there but there have been some “lanky” sort of character design recently in some of the latest adventure games imo. I was actually hoping for something in the vein of DotT, hopefully the end result pans out well though still slightly interested in the project nevertheless

Now Playing: Deponia - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Recently Completed: The Cat Lady 10/10 - Gray Matter 7.0/10 - Puzzle Agent 6.0/10 - Still Life 2 3.0/10
Next to Play:
Wishlist
Anticipating: Stasis - Moebius - Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse - Memoranda

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dertiger - 26 March 2013 11:02 AM

I hope you’re joking, now…he didn’t insult anybody.

I really can’t see why you got offended, really… I read inm8#2’s post twice, and I don’t find it acusing or offensive, in fact his post is quite polite.

Not wanting to target anyone but to be fair, it wasn’t really, although nor was the response. I think the anger was more at the tendency of forum members to slip baseless assumptions into their posts, in this case the idea that people who don’t like Telltale’s recent games are old-fashioned and aren’t interested in new ideas. Which is of course quite ridiculous, and could easily be offensive if you’re one of those people.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Dont know if you guys have seen it yet, gameplay reveal

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/r2l7om/broken-age-the-reveal—-part-1

that Gameinformer guy seems pissed lol

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

inm8#2 - 25 March 2013 01:51 PM

It was fairly obvious very early in the development last year that it wasn’t going to be an all out comedy point and click. The art style, the story hints, etc. all suggested a game with humor but mature elements as well. I guess I don’t understand why people are realizing this now, or why they were holding out hope for a pure comedy when again that was never really promised or said to be the game’s goal.

I realized that a long time ago. The DFA is the one Kickstarter that I have been following closely. That doesn’t change what I initially hoped for.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

ChaosHydrA - 26 March 2013 11:15 AM

not digging the artstyle of this game tbh

That’s the only “objective” nag I can agree with, even though there’re obvious signs that what we’re seeing is not completely done yet. For example, judging from these screens:

I think it’s safe to assume that the first screen is more “complete” than the other two - although even that one might be a work in progress (but even now it does feel quite imaginative).

Still, as I said, I was hopping for something more along the line of the classic cartoon-like graphics - I’m not sure if these graphics would be match to Grim Fandango, Monkey Island… which one would expect after waiting for new Schafer’s adventure 14 years. My main gripe is that it feels too “flashy”, similar but (as for now) less-stylized than Amanita’s games. It does however remind me of the animated movie The Secret of Kells (go see it):

which managed to work within the “minimalistic” but vivid and colorful art style, so we’ll just have to see how things will turn out.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Oscar - 26 March 2013 11:19 AM

Not wanting to target anyone but to be fair, it wasn’t really, although nor was the response. I think the anger was more at the tendency of forum members to slip baseless assumptions into their posts, in this case the idea that people who don’t like Telltale’s recent games are old-fashioned and aren’t interested in new ideas. Which is of course quite ridiculous, and could easily be offensive if you’re one of those people.

I said “somewhat reticent”. I didn’t say people dislike new ideas all together. And Telltale was an example. It wasn’t a blanket condemnation that disliking Telltale automatically means hating new ideas, nor was it a baseless assumption. You’re reading way too far into it. The wording is nowhere near as rigid as you claim.

People have said in the thread they were hoping for a style more like DotT. Nothing ridiculous or offensive about my observations. But apparently this upset multiple people.

I give up.  Frown

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

inm8#2 - 26 March 2013 12:59 PM
Oscar - 26 March 2013 11:19 AM

I said “somewhat reticent”. I didn’t say people dislike new ideas all together. And Telltale was an example. It wasn’t a blanket condemnation that disliking Telltale automatically means hating new ideas, nor was it a baseless assumption. You’re reading way too far into it. The wording is nowhere near as rigid as you claim.

People have said in the thread they were hoping for a style more like DotT. Nothing ridiculous or offensive about my observations. But apparently this upset multiple people.

I give up.  Frown

Laughing  I guess it does, but either way I support inm8#2 because he has the right attitude as a gamer and a fan, so I repsect that. Plus he is always polite, so that’s enough reason for me.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-12-08

PM

I backed this and I didn’t like the artstyle from the beginning. Most people said that hipster lumberjack was just the concept art, but it did not change much since then. They should have hired Bill Tiller instead.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top