• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Double Fine Adventure is… Broken Age

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

DF Greg said somewhere, either in the forums or in the recent production video, that Tim’s dialogue for the first section of the game was incredibly hilarious.

Just because a story has mature themes doesn’t mean it has to compromise any amount of humor. I’m excited to see what kind of story Tim tells, and how it fits in with his own development as a game designer.

The pitch was for an old school point and click. A certain level of humor wasn’t promised, but it will still be there. No need to hit the panic button.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

I don´t care if it is a comedy or a more serious game as long as it is good.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Manuel - 25 March 2013 07:09 AM

I don´t care if it is a comedy or a more serious game as long as it is good.

Some people classify good games as one or the other sadly. lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

inm8#2 - 25 March 2013 12:43 AM

DF Greg said somewhere, either in the forums or in the recent production video, that Tim’s dialogue for the first section of the game was incredibly hilarious.

Just because a story has mature themes doesn’t mean it has to compromise any amount of humor. I’m excited to see what kind of story Tim tells, and how it fits in with his own development as a game designer.

The pitch was for an old school point and click. A certain level of humor wasn’t promised, but it will still be there. No need to hit the panic button.

Diego said this already, it’s not about humor but the wish for an all-out comedy point&click; adventure Tim hasn’t done for quite some time which might revive comedy adventures, which haven’t exactly been overflowing in quality or number in recent years.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I don’t really care what it is, all I know is that it’s going to be amazing because it’s Tim Schafer.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 24 March 2013 06:12 PM

Anyway, my “hunch” is actually based perhaps even more on the art than the game description. It might seem to be more “stylized” than Moebius, but I should confess that’s the second Kickstarter game with the art style which doesn’t leave me breathless to say the least (at least for now).

I kinda agree with you here. I was also hoping for an all out comedy adventure, and I wished that the graphics would be more along the lines of the mirror-house style, with the odd shapes and angles that was dominant at Lucas Arts in the 90’s, but that latest screenshot looks more detailed and colorful than what I’d expect from Nathan Stapley.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed when I learned that Stapley was chosen to be the lead artist for DFA. Don’t get me wrong, he’s an incredibly skilled and talented painter whom I look up to, but at the time I was sceptical as to whether his style would make good adventure game graphics. Nor did I understand the notion to even consider another lead artist when you’ve allready got Peter Chan on board.

Anyway, I find that it’s starting to shape up quite nicely, and it’s looking a lot better than I feared it might. I thought it would be a gamble to have such a distinct artstyle on a project that’s supposed to sell the genre to a new audience, but Schafer isn’t known to play it safe, and everything he touches has a tendency to turn into gold.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Zifnab - 25 March 2013 07:26 AM

Diego said this already, it’s not about humor but the wish for an all-out comedy point&click; adventure Tim hasn’t done for quite some time which might revive comedy adventures, which haven’t exactly been overflowing in quality or number in recent years.

It was fairly obvious very early in the development last year that it wasn’t going to be an all out comedy point and click. The art style, the story hints, etc. all suggested a game with humor but mature elements as well. I guess I don’t understand why people are realizing this now, or why they were holding out hope for a pure comedy when again that was never really promised or said to be the game’s goal. It will still be hilarious, though.

Doing more of the same is probably boring to most game developers. They want to push themselves, try new things, and incorporate what they’ve learned and experienced in their own lives into their work. But judging from the various responses to different kickstarters, it seems that a decent number of adventure gamers aren’t interested in new directions. Don’t take that as harsh criticism, it’s merely an observation.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Well it’s pretty obvious that not everyone follows the game as closely. A lot of people on the Double Fine forums thought The Cave was the game that came from the DFA project.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I’m quite aware, and you’ve made my point for me. Smile

If people haven’t followed the development news, forming certain expectations of the game is risky. In other words, it’s impractical to have those expectations when there’s information available that negates them. One would have had to be grossly mis- or uninformed to think DFA was The Cave, when as a backer you could find out this wasn’t true with about two clicks.

Holding out for a pure comedy point and click wouldn’t make sense when the development updates indicate the game is something different. Even the art style is a bit somber, for example. As I’ve followed the development I’ve felt a decent grasp on what the game would entail story-wise. No, I’m not saying anyone with the above expectations was extremely uninformed or ignorant.

This doesn’t apply to those who didn’t back the project and wouldn’t have access, obviously. But I think people should see this as a positive in Schafer’s evolution as a game designer. I imagine he knows people expect him to bring the humor, and he focused on that from day one to make sure game satisfied people from a comedy standpoint. It’s just going to have some other themes incorporated on top of the humor, that’s all.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hmm, considering all of the fan input received, the title is really kind of bland.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lagomorph - 25 March 2013 03:31 PM

Hmm, considering all of the fan input received, the title is really kind of bland.

The downside of compromising?
Too much fan input can be counterproductive. You know the saying: too many cooks spoil the broth.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m not a backer, so I really have no idea how the fan input is handled. I was under the impression that a bunch of people were throwing out suggestions and Tim was free to choose whatever he wanted.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Other options were:

Small Offerings
The Divide
Worlds Apart

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Ton of suggestions were made, both on developer and fan side. The final round of voting offered the choice between four of them. World’s Apart won by a big margin, but was considered to be too overused by Tim. So the second most voted for got selected instead, Broken Age.
Asking the fans for title suggestions was a good idea I think. The vote, on the other hand, wasn’t, especially since the majority remained unhappy with the selected title afterwards, me included. Tim should have simply picked a title on his own. Oh well…

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

inm8#2 - 25 March 2013 01:51 PM
Zifnab - 25 March 2013 07:26 AM

It was fairly obvious very early in the development last year that it wasn’t going to be an all out comedy point and click. The art style, the story hints, etc. all suggested a game with humor but mature elements as well. I guess I don’t understand why people are realizing this now, or why they were holding out hope for a pure comedy when again that was never really promised or said to be the game’s goal. It will still be hilarious, though.

Doing more of the same is probably boring to most game developers. They want to push themselves, try new things, and incorporate what they’ve learned and experienced in their own lives into their work. But judging from the various responses to different kickstarters, it seems that a decent number of adventure gamers aren’t interested in new directions. Don’t take that as harsh criticism, it’s merely an observation.

Yep. We’re just neolithic apes unwilling to accept progress. Of course! That explains it then. Thanks for showing us the light!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top