• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Double Fine Adventure is… Broken Age

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

No more Double Fine Adventure or Reds, the official title announced: Broken Age.

Also the official site

About Broken Age
“Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. The girl has been chosen by her village to be sacrificed to a terrible monster—but she decides to fight back. Meanwhile, a boy on a spaceship is living a solitary life under the care of a motherly computer, but he wants to break free to lead adventures and do good in the world. Adventures ensue.”

The setting is nothing new for anyone checking the on-going documentary but it’s nice to have a title. (at least I think the title is new, but I haven’t seen the latest documentary episode)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 24 March 2013 02:21 PM

(at least I think the title is new, but I haven’t seen the latest documentary episode)

Tim Schafer has been asking people for their opinions on titles over the past few weeks on the backer forums. He settled on “Broken Age” a few days ago.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 March 2013 02:37 PM

Tim Schafer has been asking people for their opinions on titles over the past few weeks on the backer forums. He settled on “Broken Age” a few days ago.

I was thinking backers would probably have the news first but I haven’t been checking the backer forums, but at least now it’s official.

A think a public trailer will also show up soon

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Not impressed

Was hopping selfishly for something along the line of Day of the Tentacle. There’s a lack of good comedic adventure, and Schafer’s game would surely changed the things. This seems to be on a more “serious” note.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

diego - 24 March 2013 03:52 PM

Not impressed

Was hopping selfishly for something along the line of Day of the Tentacle. There’s a lack of good comedic adventure, and Schafer’s game would surely changed the things. This seems to be on a more “serious” note.

Doesn’t lucasarts own the rights? Neutral

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

“The leader of a gang of tough bikers tries to escape the law after being framed for the brutal murder of an old man.”

“In a corrupt Land of the Dead, a travel agent has to unravel a nefarious conspiracy to reclaim his destiny and save the girl of his dreams.”

You really can’t say how serious or comedic something is going to be based on a two-line pitch.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 March 2013 04:04 PM

“The leader of a gang of tough bikers tries to escape the law after being framed for the brutal murder of an old man.”

“In a corrupt Land of the Dead, a travel agent has to unravel a nefarious conspiracy to reclaim his destiny and save the girl of his dreams.”

You really can’t say how serious or comedic something is going to be based on a two-line pitch.

Well… Full Throttle wasn’t really comedic. It was much more serious than any of his other games.

Greg Rice had mentioned that this game would likewise be more on the serious side compared to Tim’s usual work, which I do, frankly, find a little disappointing.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Frogacuda - 24 March 2013 05:00 PM

Well… Full Throttle wasn’t really comedic. It was much more serious than any of his other games.

Greg Rice had mentioned that this game would likewise be more on the serious side compared to Tim’s usual work, which I do, frankly, find a little disappointing.

I can recall a scene from the last episode of the documentary where Tim and Greg were talking about the first scene in the gaming starring the boy in his space shuttle and Greg said something in the vein of “the dialogue is hilarious”.

So I don’t know if it will be funny or serious, I’m fine with both. However, maybe Tim will hit the golden mean again as he did, in my opionen, with Grim Fandango.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

True, but I don’t really consider Full Throttle a comedic game, and I consider Grim Fandango to be a comedic game only to an extent. That’s why I was hopping that DFA would mark Schafer’s return to the “roots”, or pure comedy in the vein of Monkey Island and DOTT.

Anyway, my “hunch” is actually based perhaps even more on the art than the game description. It might seem to be more “stylized” than Moebius, but I should confess that’s the second Kickstarter game with the art style which doesn’t leave me breathless to say the least (at least for now).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

2 part RED documentary summary up on GT, in the end of 2nd video, Tim announces the name
and PAX announcement.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/pfqwb7/double-fine-adventure-double-fine-adventure—part-2

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I think both Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are pretty comedic. Sure, they’re not filled to the rim with slapstick, but then again to me that’s not really a negative. There’s lots of humor in both games.

Regarding “Broken Age”, I’m not too hooked on the name, but oh well.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-01-18

PM

diego - 24 March 2013 06:12 PM

True, but I don’t really consider Full Throttle a comedic game, and I consider Grim Fandango to be a comedic game only to an extent. That’s why I was hopping that DFA would mark Schafer’s return to the “roots”, or pure comedy in the vein of Monkey Island and DOTT.

Anyway, my “hunch” is actually based perhaps even more on the art than the game description. It might seem to be more “stylized” than Moebius, but I should confess that’s the second Kickstarter game with the art style which doesn’t leave me breathless to say the least (at least for now).

Monkey island wasn’t a tim Schafer game was made by ron gilbert and original maniac mansion was also ron gilbert where tim made a follow up for. Think first real tim game was full throttle and then grim fandango.

The art style is Nathan stapleys artstyle http://www.nathanstapley.com/gallery.htm one of the artists at doublefine.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 March 2013 08:26 PM

I think both Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are pretty comedic. Sure, they’re not filled to the rim with slapstick, but then again to me that’s not really a negative. There’s lots of humor in both games.

Regarding “Broken Age”, I’m not too hooked on the name, but oh well.

Grim Fandango was a balance of humor and serious. Kind of like Pandora Directive. But Full Throttle was really not a comedy by any means. It may have had a few laughs here and there, but so does Reservoir Dogs, and that doesn’t mean that’s a comedy.

I get the feeling that Broken Age will have a serious story, but a lighthearted and comedic tone to it. Which can definitely be a great combination.

But I do have to say, I really love comedy adventures most of all, because adventure can do comedy so much better than any other kind of game can. Comedy adventures died before the other subgenres, and really good ones have been very rare in the last decade. So I’m really wanting this to be funny, and I’m also really looking forward to Tex, SpaceVenture, and Leisure Suit Larry.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Frogacuda - 24 March 2013 09:22 PM

Grim Fandango was a balance of humor and serious. Kind of like Pandora Directive. But Full Throttle was really not a comedy by any means. It may have had a few laughs here and there, but so does Reservoir Dogs, and that doesn’t mean that’s a comedy.

Yeah, definitely not a comedy and I can’t remember any jokes from it. If there were any then they weren’t very good. But then, it’s not my favorite Lucasarts game. I don’t mind if the new game is “serious”. At the very least, I’m sure whatever Tim comes up with will be fun, even if it’s not hilarious.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

There’s a lot of dry humor in Full Throttle. Again, I never said it was a comedy adventure, as in pure comedy like say Day of the Tentacle, I said it was comedic and had humor, which it does, albeit a lot more toned down. It’s mostly funny quips from Ben and other banter between the characters, which I quite like. To put a label on it you could say it’s a dramedy.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I think my favourite thing might be that font.

I like what I’m seeing on the game website now. The background is rather attractive and makes me feel good about the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top