• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Armikrog - The Neverhood developers making a new game

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-11-24

PM

The RPS review pretty much sums up my own thoughts about the game.

For me it took 5.5 hours to finish. I would be happy with an 8h game, but all the bad UI/UX design and the gazillion bugs put me off.

4/10

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

I have mixed feelings too.
Still i would give it a positive review, because it does a great job on recreating The Neverhood feel. And that was the main reason i backed the game.
But it’s has it share of flaws. Game design is messy and there is little attention to detail. My main bother with this game though is repetition. It has a very visible structure that makes the game kind of predictable, and when you are working on a universe so rich and extravagant like this you want to keep that element of surprise and weirdness around every corner. But when you know exactly what you are going to find and what you are going to do on the next tower, the charm is lost.

Game design is a tricky thing, one thing wrong there and the whole end result is visible flawed.
Thumbs up, only because i want more stories and universes like this and claymation is awesome. Even with all it’s lost potential still is an enjoyable experience.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

thejobloshow - 05 October 2015 02:26 AM

Is it just me or did this game deserve better release coverage? I hadn’t realised this game was out until seeing this exchange above and I’m a backer. I’ve put about an hour or so in and have just come across the wall of text - no bugs so far. It’s meeting my expectations of a hi-res Neverhood.

There was a patch that came out on or slightly before October 2.
So if you downloaded after that, you’d have the patched version.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I tried the patched version and I didn’t had any problems during the entire game. Lasted around 5-6 hours.

The Good
- Excellent graphics with supreme claymation. Extremelly beautiful aestheticaly
- Very good voice acting and soundtrack
- Catches the “Neverhood” vibe

The Bad
- Much easier than the Neverhood
- Simple pattern design of each game’s “stage”
- Logical, but not really smart riddles (the exact opposite of the Neverhood)
- Typical, almost non-existant storyline (and not in the nice “Neverhood” kind of way which explains its simplicity along the way)
- Some details that make difference (mostly concerning the menus and the controls)
- IT IS NOT HUMOROUS. Comedy was a huge part of the Neverhood and I am deeply surprised that this kind of writing was not followed in Armikrog

A 7/10 game for me. Still a + in my books, but I expected more.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im just not digging it. It has a nice look. I appreciate the strangeness. But the puzzles are bleh…. i feel like i keep doing actions with items i havnt picked up in my inventory yet. And i am not compelled by the story.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Eurogamer brand it as AVOID: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-05-armikrog-review

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 06 October 2015 04:52 AM

Eurogamer brand it as AVOID: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-05-armikrog-review

Armikrob features Mystery Science Theatre 3000’s Mike Nelson and cartoon legend Rob Paulsen voicing the main characters, yet it fails at giving either the occasional funny line.

He misspelled Armikrog, and getting paid for this professional review writing.

Well his tirade made him to go overboard.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

One look and I knew what I could expect. As far as I’m concerned, Richard Cobbett is worse than the infamous John Walker.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Karlok - 06 October 2015 06:00 AM

One look and I knew what I could expect. As far as I’m concerned, Richard Cobbett is worse than the infamous John Walker.

Is he? I can’t find anything bad about him.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 06 October 2015 06:40 AM

Isnt he the same guy who was at PC gamer and use lambaste every other AG???
This cobbert name certainly rings a bell.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Tad - 06 October 2015 06:40 AM

I don’t know where you looked, but you could start searching this forum. I’m not the only one who doesn’t care for his reviews. He has the same attitude as John Walker. It’s not so much the content, it’s the harsh, destructive and over-the-top way they phrase their opinion. They’ll do anything to get more readers.

And someone who still continues to bash Myst after all this time, like Corbett does, should grow up.

PSL He visited this forum once and managed to write longwinded posts in reply to questions without really answering those questions.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Frogacuda - 02 October 2015 08:16 AM
TimovieMan - 02 October 2015 06:59 AM

Advie, if you have any love for AGs at all (as well as your own health), it’s best to just stay FAR away from John Walker’s reviews… Wink

Every single RPS review of an adventure game that I’ve ever read has been a total hit-piece. Except maybe for some new-fangled walking simulator types.

You have clear and obvious confirmation bias as well as the obvious desire to defend this game.

Since I read RPS regularly, I know that this is so far from the truth that it is laughable.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/27/the-journey-down-chapter-2-review/

“This plays out as a remarkably traditional point-and-click adventure, with far fewer clumsy puzzle-puzzles this time out, much more focused on inventory puzzles and conversation.”“The voice acting is mostly splendid,” “It’s also very impressive looking,”“There’s a really surprising amount of game in here”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/01/stasis-review-pc/
“And that’s not the only reason it’s a triumph. STASIS punches so far above its weight that I almost can’t believe it exists. ““Even a section which may well have been inspired by, of all things, Prometheus’ ridiculous self-inflicted robo-surgery scene is so carefully-structured in terms of both logic and grotesque execution that the last thing it feels like is a second-hand idea.”
“I marvel at how complete STASIS is. It has a world, it has a vision, it has real dedication to thematic monstrousness and, for the most part, all of its puzzles are in service to its excursion into hell. “

“http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/24/the-talos-principle-road-to-gehenna-review/”
“The Talos Principle [official site] arrived very late in 2014, such that it erroneously missed out on the Game Of The Year accolades it unquestionably deserved. It had puzzles to match the exquisite Portal 2, and a story which fascinatingly and engagingly explored the philosophy of consciousness and existence. “

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/21/technobabylon-review/
“It is, in that sense, delightfully pulp sci-fi. But it’s also a delicate story of individuals, personal struggles, and most of all, a nuanced approach to complex future-worries.”“As a piece of storytelling, it’s superb.”“The puzzles are often exemplary. “

This was in all of two minutes of searching.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I must admit that I find the bashing of both Richard Cobbett and John Walker to be a bit excessive.

Personally I often don’t agree with them, but that is also the case with many of the reviews here on this site, and you can like or dislike their style, but there usually is some good points to their critique. It is not like they just criticise for the sake of criticising, if they don’t like a game or some elements of a game, it is they job to criticise it.

It fells like it for many, is easier to just go after the man instead of the ball, and attack the reviewer instead of explaining why you think they are wrong or where you disagree with them.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’ve played a bit more and it is coming across as an expansion pack to The Neverhood consisting entirely of lore and puzzles that hit the cutting room floor the first time around. There’s less humour than what I was expecting after that first tower. It feels like a collection of Skinner boxes - not bad if it’s leading to a satisfying payoff.

Also, I think I’m experiencing a bit of this but I’m not sure if it’s a bug:

Instead, Armikrog simply ignores anything that you’re not meant to use at this very moment in time. It’s so picky that if you have Tommynaut try to click on a button that companion Beak-Beak is supposed to press, literally nothing happens. No “Nope”, no “Hey, let me try it instead, boss.” Nothing. Nada. This isn’t even close to meeting modern adventure standards, coming as it does in the wake of games like Machinarium and The Dream Machine.

I found a lever in the second tower with the accordion design that I assume is meant to be used in the basement area but it’s not letting me insert the lever into the slot there… The other possibility is it’s meant to be used in that room with all the astronaut statues - I’ll try that tonight actually.

EDIT: Don’t know Cobbett but I turned on John Walker after that disastrous interview with Peter Molyneux that generated no new interesting information other than attention for RPS.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I can admit that I’ve been a bit biased towards Walker since his Molyneux interview which I thought was just unnecessarily nasty and vile. It’s a bit too easy to say that “oh, he gives crap reviews because he hates adventure games”, when in all honesty it’s easy to find evidence that he doesn’t. I do think though that he has at times a tendency to make some issues sound bigger and more deal breaking than they are, but then again, so do I at times.

And what comes to Armikrog, I haven’t played it, but judging from all I’ve read of it, I don’t think I’d have been lenient it with either. By all counts it sounds like a buggy mess with a lot of adventure game tropes in it I don’t personally like.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top