• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A more “open” puzzle design?

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

I do enjoy Phoenix Wright, in principle. I love locked room mysteries and impossible crimes, and some of the cases are really inventive.

The problem is it’s just so damn boring!!!

A lot of the dialogue is amusing and well written; unlike a lot of companies they’ve spent the time getting the localisation right.

Instead, it falls into what seems to be a standard Japanese model of explaining everything to death. No logical leap is too small that it doesn’t need explaining and repeating several times. The Miles Edgeworth game was actually painful. I was actually disappointed that there was another case when I thought I’d finished!

I understand that, by basically playing them straight through, I’m not experiencing them in the normal way. Recapping is necessary if someone is playing for twenty minutes at a time, possibly over many months. But Professor Layton gets round this by having the recap whenever you load a save, which seems much better than going over everything again and again every time you learn a new fact.

We’ve touched on this elsewhere, but narratively, it’s also a bit awkward that you’re playing as Phoenix. For him to make some of the leaps he does, he must have solved the case. But then later down the chain of reasoning he’ll freeze as though he doesn’t know what’s going on.

And I find the gameplay rather frustrating. It’s great when it works, but sometimes I just don’t see why one item is any better evidence than some of the others. If there’s anything that would benefit from the “multiple routes to information” model that we’ve been discussing, I think it’s Phoenix Wright.

That all sounds very critical. I do enjoy the games. But it’s only because the plotting is so strong that I’m able to overlook the gameplay. I’d much rather just read the stories, to be honest. The end of the first game is wonderful. While it’s pretty obvious who the culprit is, the way they’re unmasked is very elegant.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

somanycrimes - 05 March 2013 01:54 PM

The problem is it’s just so damn boring!!!

Blasphemer!!! Pan Pan

We’ve touched on this elsewhere, but narratively, it’s also a bit awkward that you’re playing as Phoenix. For him to make some of the leaps he does, he must have solved the case. But then later down the chain of reasoning he’ll freeze as though he doesn’t know what’s going on.

That’s what makes the PW games so darn hilarious, imo. You *need* all the over-the-top reactions, including Phoenix’s…

But we’re digressing from the main purpose of this thread… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Let me first say welcome to the forum somanycrimes.
You have some valid points and it is always good to get some input from professional.

One of the problems in the Poirot example is of course, how to handle when the player fails. But there are a couple of detective games that has that option, In LA Noire the game is divided into several individual cases, where you can fail each and every individual case, but the main or frame story still continues. If you can’t live with failing a case, then your only option is to replay the whole case. In Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin you can actually fail the whole game, if you reach a wrong conclusion near the end, and your only option is to load a save game, and try again.

Personally i’m not to happy about either solutions, and i would like for it to possible to continue the game and get back on track, but with some punishment. But i don’t have the exact solution.

When i comes to solving the mystery and presenting your case, then i imagine that you should have something like a timeline or deduction board, where you can attach different events, clues and evidence, arrange it in a timeline, make some conclusions and select the evidence that support each sub-conclusion. This board should be available throughout the game, and be something you work on continuously. When you fell you have reconstructed the events adequately or to the best of your ability, then you simply press a button and the game automatically presents your case. Note that you might not need to get everything 100% correct, the game could have some leeway and allow you to succeed as long as the major points is correct, and you have lets say 75% of the possible evidence.

Regarding the story telling, then it would have to be told in a different way then traditional AG, it would have to be more fragmented, it would have to be more about discovering the story then being told the story, and the whole coherent story wouldn’t really be told until the reconstruction.

My point is that i believe such a game can be made and be good, it would just be very different from the traditional AG we are used too.

somanycrimes - 05 March 2013 09:41 AM

I think the reason lies in what TimovieMan said: the player is NOT a great detective. And neither is the reader in static fiction: In a mystery, the reader is rarely asked to identify with the detective. The narrator is usually the assistant - Watson, Hastings or whoever.

Intense Degree - 05 March 2013 09:38 AM

Whilst I agree that it would be great to have more “open” puzzles in games I personally don’t necessarily agree with you when it comes to the need for the player to be always the one who solves a case rather than the detective, or at least not in the player’s own way.

Let me turn this upside down a bit.
In Black Mirror II you are playing a young guy who just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper into trouble. Very early in the game i realized he was trusting the wrong people and that he was being setup for something nasty, that the best thing he could do was to run to the nearest airport and buy a one way ticket to the northpole. (Of course if he did so, there wouldn’t be much game, but that is another story) But the naive and stupid protagonist doesn’t realize this, and he just keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper, and continues to do so long after it has become bloody obvious.

Now this might work perfectly fine in a book or movie, but the problem in a game is that it is asking me to do the digging, whereas what i want to do is to run to the nearest airport and…
I could probably give thousands of similar examples in AG, where the protagonist only realizes things long after 99.99% of the players has already realized it.

I agree that there is a difference between 1st and 3rd person games, and that you in a 3rd person game isn’t playing yourself but controlling the protagonist, but you are still controlling the protagonist, and i believe that it is important that you also feel like you are the one in control, and that you have an option to react to your suspicions and have some freedom in how you want to solve a problem. 

As for the Sherlock Holmes and Poirot are geniuses, and we mortal players can’t possible compete with that - Fine, that is a valid point, but not all detectives are geniuses and not all protagonists are the sharpest knife in the drawer. Solving the crimes ourselves might not work for a Sherlock game, but i could work in many other games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

somanycrimes - 05 March 2013 09:55 AM

This is the main issue. A moment there’s a very entrenched view on both sides that people must see ALL the content. Designers are reluctant to “waste” resources on things that people won’t see, and gamers feel that they’re being “robbed” of content if their actions somehow gate off sections of the game. But this is false reasoning on both sides, especially from the designers: making a great game that many people see half of is obviously better than making an average game that a few people see all of.

I totally agree, but it unfortunately also a question of resources. Most AG is made on a small budget, where there really is room for nothing but the bare necessities. If AG had the budget of AAA games, then we would probably see more extra content, that not all players would experience.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

After a brisk nap - 05 March 2013 11:42 AM
Iznogood - 04 March 2013 05:11 PM

The beauty of the Password example, is that it actually requires less work from the developers then the more traditional design, all they have to do is make sure there are clues the player can find, and that the user can type whatever they want.

I’m not convinced of that.

If you make it possible for players to solve the puzzles “before they’re supposed to”, you have to make sure that the rest of the story and puzzle logic doesn’t get broken. Let’s say you’re able to access a file before you speak to the person who was supposed to give you a crucial clue to the password; now you have to remember to write dialog for the case where you already have the information, or the conversation won’t make sense.

I think you may have misunderstood me.
When i said that it requires less work from the developers, then i was speaking specifically about the Password puzzle, and other similar stand-alone puzzles.

You still wouldn’t have access to the room where the computer is, until you had some reason to go there, or at least that is not the point of the password example. And as for not talking to the person that provides you with the clue to the password, before you try to hack the computer, well that is already the case in many games, there is plenty of examples, where you get to a door or computer etc, and realize that you can’t get further before you do something else somewhere else.

Also a dialog like “Hi i am Sarah, the ambassador is my mother”, which in my example would be the crucial clue, doesn’t require different dialog depending on whether or not you have already hacked the computer, it makes perfect sense in both cases. 

As for the overall idea of “opening” the games up more, then you are probably right, this would require extra work and different dialogs depending on what you have already discovered, compared to a more sequential approach.

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

TimovieMan - 05 March 2013 01:41 PM

And what does failure look like? If, at the end of Death of the Nile, Poirot had got it wrong, how would that play out? At the end of Cruise for a Corpse, selecting the wrong killer results in instant death (if I’m not misremembering), but in-story that makes no sense at all.

This is something David Cage likes. If you fail, the game continues to a bad, but more or less complete, ending.
Personally, I feel that’s taking things too far. You can go to a bad ending, but it should fit with the story, and it should be more or less immediate - otherwise I feel it would appear like the game is “wasting our time”...

I really like this solution actually. It’s not really on topic, but I think one of the major problems facing people trying to tell interactive stories is that the audience only thinks that good endings are true endings. I’d be much happier with a system where, for my money, I was getting one playthrough, unique to me, as long as I was getting a complete story.

Doesn’t this depend on the type of mystery? A Sherlock Holmes mystery shouldn’t be solvable by anyone other than Sherlock Holmes, so in this case, 99% should be completely surprised…

Sort of! But the game that Sherlock Holmes is playing and the game the reader is playing are different. If Holmes notices that the colonel’s cane is unusually worn at the top, there’s no way to replicate that, even if the reader is told. Holmes has picked that detail out of a million others in the room. The reader has picked it out of maybe three in a description given by Watson.

“Solved” for Holmes means that he’s worked out who the culprit is, what their motive is, and how they committed the crime. He’s also either gathered or knows where to find the necessary evidence.

“Solved” for most readers means “That guy did it!” Maybe “That guy did it: he’s not really wheelchair bound and he’s been dressing as the Countess to give himself an alibi!”

So I think my model still holds, because of the difference in what it means to be a real (albeit fictional) detective and an armchair detective solving over the narrator’s shoulder.

This isn’t quite as irrelevant as it might seem. The reason that mysteries don’t work as adventures is that they’re trying to model the first game, the one Holmes is playing, whereas it’s the second one that everyone loves.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

We’ll just have to agree to disagree about Phoenix Wright, somanycrimes. I’m not going to argue that the games are flawless, but I found the fundamental mechanic delightful and the gameplay satisfying pretty much throughout. And I’m not sure the mysteries as written would work in a different, non-interactive medium.

It really didn’t bother me that a lot of the puzzles were pretty easy, or that they “gamified” minor plot points. Besides, even if I could spot the lie right away (or predict when something was going to be the clue that wins the next cross-interrogation), it was always interesting to see what the fallback story was going to be.

I think there are literally only a couple of times in all the games together where Phoenix/Apollo must have put it together before the actual moment when you direct him to show the key piece of evidence. Though in more general terms, the attorneys’ doofus personas become harder to believe in once they’ve won so many cases so brilliantly.

I admit that you could sometimes have a perfectly logical courtroom argument in mind that the game just wouldn’t let you input, either because you’d jumped ahead of Phoenix in your deductions, or because the judge would only accept one particular piece of evidence, when another ought to have served equally well. But again, in my experience that was a very occasional problem. When I got stuck for more than a minute or two (a rare occurrence), at least two thirds of the time it was because I had genuinely missed something, not because of a flaw in the game logic. And these problem instances aren’t inherent in the design, either, just imperfections in the execution.

TimovieMan - 05 March 2013 01:52 PM

Isn’t that the best proof that they implemented something like that correctly? If the underlying mechanism is barely detectable for the player, then the devs did it right, imo.

Oh, sure. I’m not at all opposed to this kind of puzzle. I see it as a pretty standard puzzle form, which probably adds some amount of extra work to the overall design, but I really like it, when it’s well executed.

The detective thing sounds like a whole other beast to me; I don’t really see the connection at all.

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

Iznogood - 05 March 2013 02:12 PM

Let me first say welcome to the forum somanycrimes.

You have some valid points and it is always good to get some input from professional.

Thanks! It’s always weird to think of myself as a professional. I just really, really like writing and thinking about writing (and criticizing - being an editor is often like being a critic, but hopefully more helpful!). Luckily people are happy to pay me for it!

As for the Sherlock Holmes and Poirot are geniuses, and we mortal players can’t possible compete with that - Fine, that is a valid point, but not all detectives are geniuses and not all protagonists are the sharpest knife in the drawer. Solving the crimes ourselves might not work for a Sherlock game, but i could work in many other games.

This is a good point, and I totally agree. I think, generally, this is where a lot of developers go wrong. There’s this assumption that basically any story can be an adventure game, or that the gameplay and story are very separate. But the traits of your main character can directly affect what sort of puzzles mechanics will be plausible and fun. What would work for an everyman detective wouldn’t work at all for a genius detective.

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

After a brisk nap - 05 March 2013 03:02 PM

We’ll just have to agree to disagree about Phoenix Wright, somanycrimes. I’m not going to argue that the games are flawless, but I found the fundamental mechanic delightful and the gameplay satisfying pretty much throughout. And I’m not sure the mysteries as written would work in a different, non-interactive medium.

Oh I don’t think we disagree all that much. I think the central mechanic is a clever one, and the goofy tone fits it perfectly. I just think the execution could be tightened up.

And I think it’s the adventure sections where the logic is most lacking. Often the triggers to get things to move on are quite inscrutable. I agree with you that there were only a few times in court where it seemed like there were possible alternatives that hadn’t been considered.

Once you’re bored, other perceived problems tend to seem heightened. If I was allowed to cut most of the dialogue by about 25% - 50% they’d probably be perfect! Laughing

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

Anyway, I totally diverted the thread, sorry. With regards resources for opening up the puzzles, I wonder if that’s really that much of a problem. Sure, you don’t want to be adding whole new locations and objects that some players will never see or use, and you don’t want to have to animate a million new possibilities for existing assets.

But dialogue and information puzzles don’t have the same limitations, I assume? My assumption is always that writing is the cheapest part of any adventure game, which is why I can legitimately gripe that it seems to get the least investment.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

somanycrimes - 05 March 2013 03:00 PM

I really like this solution actually. It’s not really on topic, but I think one of the major problems facing people trying to tell interactive stories is that the audience only thinks that good endings are true endings. I’d be much happier with a system where, for my money, I was getting one playthrough, unique to me, as long as I was getting a complete story.

Then you’re going to love Heavy Rain. There are four playable characters, and it’s even possible to get all four of them killed, resulting in a horrible ending, but still a somewhat ‘complete’ ending.

It’s probably just personal preference, but I like to experience a ‘true’ ending - or at least the best ending I can get within the game.
That’s something we could learn from RPG’s, where the endings are more or less the same, but just coloured by the actions we did during the game. Were you a ruthless backstabbing bastard that just cared about the results? Then you get the results, and everything your cutthroat approach brought with it. If you were a Goody Two-Shoes, then you get more or less the same results, but with a different approach and with all the effects of that approach with it…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

TimovieMan - 05 March 2013 03:31 PM

Then you’re going to love Heavy Rain.

Actually I HATE Heavy Rain. Because it’s exactly the sort of game I desperately want to play and enjoy, but David Cage has such a cack-handed understanding of storytelling and language that it’s bitterly disappointing at almost every stage after the first half hour or so.

A lot of things people don’t like about it I’m fine with. I love the fact that it starts with you just pottering around your house. I even quite like the QTEs. I love the audacity of the twist (even if I did guess it from the first gameplay video I saw, in a sort of “if this was my game, I know what I’d do” sort of way.) I just need my mysteries to make sense. Some plots don’t need to make sense anywhere except in the moment, but mysteries and thrillers necessarily require you to think back over everything you’ve learned to cast it in a new light. And basically nothing in Heavy Rain hangs together, no matter which route you take through the game.

I think a lot of the criticism levelled at David Cage is unfair - a lot of his ideas are good, and it’s often unfairly extrapolated that he’s trying to change every game in the world to be like his. But the man cannot write. At this point I doubt he could even learn how to write well, and I don’t say that about many people.

I did love The Nomad Soul though. A nutty disregard for the rhythms of language and narrative sort of worked there… Maybe Cage should just stay away from trying to replicate anything even approximating humanity!

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Iznogood - 05 March 2013 02:51 PM

I think you may have misunderstood me.
When i said that it requires less work from the developers, then i was speaking specifically about the Password puzzle, and other similar stand-alone puzzles.

You still wouldn’t have access to the room where the computer is, until you had some reason to go there, or at least that is not the point of the password example. And as for not talking to the person that provides you with the clue to the password, before you try to hack the computer, well that is already the case in many games, there is plenty of examples, where you get to a door or computer etc, and realize that you can’t get further before you do something else somewhere else.

Also a dialog like “Hi i am Sarah, the ambassador is my mother”, which in my example would be the crucial clue, doesn’t require different dialog depending on whether or not you have already hacked the computer, it makes perfect sense in both cases. 

As for the overall idea of “opening” the games up more, then you are probably right, this would require extra work and different dialogs depending on what you have already discovered, compared to a more sequential approach.

No, I don’t think I’ve misunderstood.

The point of the password puzzle example was that the game doesn’t know / doesn’t care how you solved it, right? What that means in terms of game logic is that having passed this point in the game guarantees less about what has happened in the game so far. You can’t automatically assume that the player has picked up that inventory item, looked at that hotspot, had that particular conversation with that character, or whatever the precondition for solving the puzzle would have been in a more linear design. That means that from there on, you have to consider more possible game states, and make sure the game remains consistent, plausible, fair and winnable (and doesn’t, in the worst case, crash) whatever the player did to get there. The more unknown parameters you have, the more work that is. That’s why nonlinearity is so expensive.

Sure, you can write generic dialog, but then you’re restricting the dramatic potential and the storytelling opportunities. And you can put in choke points before or after that puzzle, to make sure players have jumped through all the necessary hoops, but then what are you really adding in terms of player freedom?

Again, I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, or not worth doing. I’m just saying that it actually adds more complexity to the puzzle and story logic.

To take another example from Resonance, there’s a bit where [spoiler]you have to guess the code to a combination lock, in order to read a diary, which is furthermore written in a cypher you have to decrypt. You can brute-force both the code lock and the cypher (trying different options until you get it right), but there are also clues spread around in various places. You get the diary early in the game, and there’s no particular time you have to read it. I’m not 100% sure whether you even need to read the diary in order to complete the game; but if you do, it only becomes necessary pretty late in the game. That means that from very early on in the game, and for most of the length, you may or may not have read the diary that provides very central information to the story. This means that every conversation about these topics either had to be written very generically, or in two different versions. And it means that there’s no guarantee that the player has picked up some of the clues that were meant to help you to read it. For example, there’s a graveyard you really only have to visit in order to pick up one of these clues. If you crack the code without going (it’s a bit hard to figure out how to get there), later on you’ll reach a point where you can’t proceed without going to the graveyard, doing nothing, and then coming back. If the puzzle had been made so you needed the hint to crack the code, and you needed to have cracked the code to proceed, it would have made sense, but now it’s left as a completely arbitrary trigger.[/spoiler]

Resonance has a lot of nonlinearity like this, but Vince has often talked about how that also meant a ton of extra work in order to handle most possible game states fairly elegantly.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Regarding the “Wild goose chase”

After a brisk nap - 05 March 2013 12:51 PM

How does this make the game better?
How far should players be allowed to stray down the wrong path before they’re guided back? If the goal is to make adventures more accessible, isn’t this the exact opposite of that?
Well, multiplayer online games work a bit differently from AGs, with grinding and teams and all of that. Is the “wild goose chase” as completely pointless as it would be (by the sound of it) in an adventure game?

I admit there is a certain sadistic streak to the wild goose chase, or at least as i described it. (I probably shouldn’t have used the word “meticulously”)

But there is also another point that i haven’t explained properly, and that is that it also provides you with an alternative way to solve the puzzle. You can either solve it by brain-work or by leg-work. Lets say you come up with 2-3 possible and plausible solutions in the deduction board, and they all seem equally plausible to you, then you would have to examine all 2-3 places before you find the right one, if you are lucky then it might even be the first location you check out.
It of course requires that there is a limited plausible solutions.

Also in many other kind of games, and even in some AG, there is lots of stuff that isn’t fun in itself, in RPG you might have to make 100 cobber post in order to level up your blacksmithing, you have to spend time selling your stuff etc. None of this is fun, but it still serves a purpose, and it both adds to the realism of the game, and it gives the player some downtime, instead of being constant “fun” action.
MMORPG and AG is of course very different, but i don’t see why we shouldn’t “steal” everything we can from RPG, just as they have stolen the story-driven adventure from us.

And finally there is already plenty of AG with mundane and boring tasks that you have perform in order to progress in the game.

Now i must admit that i am personally so “invested” into this idea, that it is difficult for me to predict how other players would respond to being send on a wild goose chase. If the majority or even a large minority, would only be frustrated and start screaming at the computer, or write angry post at the forums, then it is probably a bad idea.

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

I think the problem you’d have is that a wild goose chase in an RPG will at least have some fringe benefits: you’ll be gaining experience and items and such.

Also, how do you know that it’s a wild goose chase? Will the game tell you “Sorry, Detective Mario, the guy who killed the hooker is in another castle”? Because that IS annoying. The game might as well say “Ha ha! You guessed wrong!” or “Ha ha! I wasted your time!”

But if there ISN’T something like that, how do you know you aren’t just stuck? Being stuck is the default position in adventure games, and it’s essential that the player trust that they’re missing something, instead of there simply being nothing else to do. Because once the player loses that trust, every moment is going to feel like it could potentially be a waste of time.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top