• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond: Two Souls

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I know it’s hard to stomach someone that preaches about emotion and storytelling in games, then delivers Heavy Rain, but Cage knows Heavy Rain wasn’t perfect. He wasn’t happy with it, the same way he wasn’t happy with the ending in Fahrenheit, which was ruined by the publisher’s need to ship the game before it was finished.

There are some things in Heavy Rain that are just inexcusable, like a hefty chunk of the voice acting, but these are mistakes I doubt they’d make again after all the criticism.

At the very least Quantic Dream deserve another chance to deliver a compelling story, but if they can’t do it with actors like Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, then it’s time to question Cage’s worth.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I grabbed Heavy Rain off a shelf when it was new, not knowing much about it, or what to expect. I thought it was a pretty decent game for the PS3, it had its flaws but it was unique and like nothing I’d played before, yet there was something familiar about it. However, at the time, I had no idea it was considered an adventure game. Offcourse, I’m not saying that it isn’t, just that the thought didn’t strike me while playing it. To me, it felt like a new genre. When I saw the game reviewed here, I was like: “What? Heavy Rain is an Adventure Game?? Hmm… no wonder it struck a chord with me”:P

Maybe not knowing that it was an AG was a good thing. That way I didn’t come expecting puzzles, and I’d enjoy the game for what it was, unlike many people I’ve seen complain about the games level of (or rather, the lack of) difficulty Smile

Anyway, I think Beyond looks amazing, and I’m looking really looking forward to it, though I hope there will be more challenge to it than just making choices within a short timeframe. Willem Dafoe on the cast ups the awesome-meter considerably! (and it was allready way up there with Ellen Page).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Tad - 01 March 2013 05:00 PM

I dunno. I’m not so convinced. Bad writing is just bad writing and a bad twist in a story and that will kill it. Not much actors can do about that.

I totally agree, if the writing is bad it doesn’t matter how good the actors is.

My main problem however is that it will only be released for PS, and there is absolutely no way i’m going to buy a PS, just to play the few AG that is only being released for PS.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I dunno but In HeavyRain the music and Graphics communicated more than script, thats a
plus of having good technology, same case here the non verbal language is the key to success than verbal language (script or writing). In the first video trailer,
Ellenpage face projected more feelings than 100 words Gears or Cod will use to invoke some feeling.

We should have room for guys like him his game only inspires creations like TWD which took world by storm.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I’m really not sure where all this stuff about bad writing is coming from.  Compared to most video games (including adventure games), Heavy Rain is head and shoulders above.  Let’s not forget, Heavy Rain won Aggies for Best Story (editor’s and reader’s choice) and Best Writing (reader’s choice).  Not to mention its 4.5 star review from this site and its spot at #26 on the top 100 adventures of all time.  David Cage’s other adventure game Indigo Prophecy is #57 on the top 100 of all time.  So, pretty strong pedigree and reason for much excitement.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Interplay - 03 March 2013 07:45 PM

I’m really not sure where all this stuff about bad writing is coming from.  Compared to most video games (including adventure games), Heavy Rain is head and shoulders above.  Let’s not forget, Heavy Rain won Aggies for Best Story (editor’s and reader’s choice) and Best Writing (reader’s choice).  Not to mention its 4.5 star review from this site and its spot at #26 on the top 100 adventures of all time.  David Cage’s other adventure game Indigo Prophecy is #57 on the top 100 of all time.  So, pretty strong pedigree and reason for much excitement.

This. Bad writing is bad. These games are not bad as they are high up on the ‘storytelling’ food chain compared to the adventure industry and gaming in itself. Bad is like saying its worse than any Modern Warfare game. Bad is the wrong term. Plot holes, sure, but they don’t make it terrible. Lovecraft used plot holes to leave things open to interpretation. Thats one thing I hate about non-critic critics that judge films. Complaining about all the plot holes, yet not realizing that they are purposely created.

Whatever, people don’t want the mystery anymore.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Game was shown at the event, watershed moment for journalists.

Cage says QTE will be as much as they were in TR or Mainstream action games, rest all
you need is to check this preview and videos to convince yourself, sure looks
like new benchmark in gaming,

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/21/beyond_two_souls_hands_on_david_cage/

EDIT:

“No more quick-time events,” Cage promised. “We didn’t really have a problem with QTEs in Heavy Rain and I don’t think that players who played the game had any problem with that, but we wanted to reconsider the possibility of – instead of saying to the player what they’re supposed to do – how could we get rid of this and let players define by themselves, conclude by themselves what they’re supposed to do?

Cage added that the game’s new control system will allow players to deduce what is going on without them being led by the hand through on-screen prompts.

“We still have a couple of prompts here and there, “Cage continued, “but no more than in a game like Tomb Raider, Uncharted or God of War, or whatever because all games use some prompts here and there.

“It’s part of what gamers are used to these days, but we use them in very few opportunities, and it’s not part of the main interface any more.”

Watch this video instead , VG247 one is with bad encoding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bxLX9bQZfIQ#t=17s

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Mature reasoning there Cage. I didn’t mind the QTEs in HR too, so its great to see that game designs aren’t templates for the future, but pieces of information for future judgement.

Having formulas are fine, but its fun not having to restrict yourself to one ideal.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lovely box cover

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Page and Dafoe are good addition not just as value but also as promotion.

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Wait… this is still PS3??? Amazing!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Igor - 19 April 2013 06:51 AM

Wait… this is still PS3??? Amazing!

Yes, they is talking about porting it to the PS4 but so far it will only be playable on the PS3.

They are working on another game for the PS4.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Oh, I could of sworn the demos they had were not running on an ps3 and had a decent amount of antialiasing. I could be wrong and the game could be running at 1080p. Though I’d prefer to play it on the PS4. Impressive or not, PS3 just isn’t capable of making a perfect cinematic experience now that the new console is ever so close.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Great news about bottomline

With Sony’s marketing and distribution on top, the total spend looked something like €40 million. But, Fondaumiere said, “Sony earned more than €100 million with this game. It’s very profitable.”

In 2004, Fondaumiere met actor Leonardo DiCaprio because he was interested in doing games. But he wouldn’t take the plunge. “He made us understand that from an image perspective, this wasn’t going to work.”

Contrast that with Beyond: Two Souls, which stars acclaimed Hollywood talent Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, and you can see how things have changed. Doors don’t slam shut any more.

Looks like witht hat profit on HeavyRain , Sony could make 2 more on PS4.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Monolith - 03 March 2013 08:58 PM
Interplay - 03 March 2013 07:45 PM

This. Bad writing is bad. These games are not bad as they are high up on the ‘storytelling’ food chain compared to the adventure industry and gaming in itself. Bad is like saying its worse than any Modern Warfare game. Bad is the wrong term. Plot holes, sure, but they don’t make it terrible. Lovecraft used plot holes to leave things open to interpretation. Thats one thing I hate about non-critic critics that judge films. Complaining about all the plot holes, yet not realizing that they are purposely created.

Whatever, people don’t want the mystery anymore.

I was pretty much gasping here reading that HR writing was horrible. Whaaaat? The story was brilliant. If a story has to 100% believable to everyone and everything has to be explained properly, it’s not going to be a good story anymore. I can really understand if one does not get overjoyed by some aspects of the story like for example the Matrix-like shooting sequence and things like that, or perhaps just not liking someone’s style, but to bash the whole story because one thought there were plotholes? Each to their own I guess.

I love a mystery and when writers keep me guessing or leave something to my interpretation, as long as something gets revealed/solved, and I enjoy my stories as an experience, not analysing every little bit and thinking if everything really is plausible. Real life isn’t always that predictable or plausible either. This doesn’t mean I would really suck up anything they feed me though. Fahrenheit’s ending was very flawed but they main error was the weird fastforwarding which really broke the immersion a lot more than the AI. I would have been fine without the AI twist but it wasn’t really as horrible as people make it out to be. The fact that we skip months in a couple of seconds without any kind of real back story or even a crappy montage bothered me a lot more.

In Heavy Rain there’s nothing as ridiculous as that. The game “cheats” a bit by telling us something and not telling something else. Keeping people alive somewhere and allowing them to die elsewhere. It’s a way to tell the story. Like some movies are intentionally made so that the viewer will feel a great sympathy towards a character, because that’s the experience the storyteller wants to give to you. It’s not supposed to be objective and 100% rational all the time.

Both Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain manage to make their protagonists very real, likable and also hawt (sorry but it’s true) and they are both some of the most engaging and memorable games I’ve ever played. Reason for that is the story, not the QTEs.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top