• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness (open-world island inspired by Myst)

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

kuze - 02 February 2016 06:54 AM

Humble Store (either as a DRM-free download, *or* as a Steam key),

I wish I’d known that before I got it from Steam.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

So no one is playing this on PS4?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

http://gamerant.com/the-witness-25-minute-speed-run/

Well guys meet your AG King!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I watched him do the parts I’ve done. Only takes a few seconds to do the just the last panel if you can skip the rest, like in the forest section.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

colpet - 02 February 2016 08:31 AM

I am.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Lucien21 - 02 February 2016 02:01 PM

I am.

Is it relatively easy to work the controls? I am tempted to play a game and see it on a big screen TV rather than my old CRT monitor.I realize easy is a subjective term, but WASD keys and then a mouse is very clumsy for me to do in my current set up.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

colpet - 02 February 2016 02:54 PM

I am.

Is it relatively easy to work the controls? I am tempted to play a game and see it on a big screen TV rather than my old CRT monitor.I realize easy is a subjective term, but WASD keys and then a mouse is very clumsy for me to do in my current set up.

It’s pretty straight forward and with no fast paced movement needed (at least so far) then it doesn’t matter if you are a master on the joypad.

The analogue sticks let you move around, but if you press X the screen freezes or zoomz in on a panel and then the stick control the onscreen cursor.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Lucien21 - 02 February 2016 03:36 PM
colpet - 02 February 2016 02:54 PM

I am.

It’s pretty straight forward and with no fast paced movement needed (at least so far) then it doesn’t matter if you are a master on the joypad.

The analogue sticks let you move around, but if you press X the screen freezes or zoomz in on a panel and then the stick control the onscreen cursor.

Thanks, Lucien21.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I am playing the game with mouse only. Its easy if you have a programmable mouse. What I do is program the “W” stroke to the wheel button. Then you use the mouse to move what direction you want to go and press the wheel button to walk. Left click zooms into a puzzle and another left click draws your lines within the puzzle. Right clicking zooms out.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

They grossed $5M the first week, selling over 100k copies: http://the-witness.net/news/2016/02/fun-sales-fakts/

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Antrax - 03 February 2016 07:18 AM

They grossed $5M the first week, selling over 100k copies: http://the-witness.net/news/2016/02/fun-sales-fakts/

Hmm i overlooked the fact that it actually is 40$ game.
Congrats to Jblow and indie scene.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I’ve been really intrigued by the Witness, even though I don’t really like “expanding on one puzzle-idea” games, but I’m scared by the puzzles being described as “mazes”.
I’m a directional dyslexic, I have no inherent idea of North-south etc. and I only know what right is by going “which hand do I write with *does writing emote* this one, okey, this is right”.
Is the type of maze puzzles the Witness does something I’ll struggle with if I don’t do directions?

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m “directionally challenged”, get lost very easily both in real life and in games. Especially in 3D games. After 40+ hours, I still have trouble finding my way in the huge world of The Witness. But I have no problems with left-right etcetera, so I can’t answer your question about the puzzles. Why not watch the first fifteen or twenty minutes of a youtube walkthrough, stop at each puzzle and try to solve it. There are 670 (!) puzzles in the game, no big deal if a few are spoiled for you.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So far it’s reminding me of RHEM more than Myst, although if there’s any Myst in it then it’s from Uru. Very much enjoying the little epiphanies that come with looking at the game world in different ways.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Well, the overall organisation and layout of the island as well as gameplay, in many ways very much are Myst. Isn’t that obvious? The puzzles themselves reminds more of Rhem, yes. But apart from the very attractive visual production of The Witness I’d say it doesn’ t match up to Rhem in cleverness.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top