• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 14 February 2013 04:33 PM

What you’re saying is that it’s the exploration that makes DE unique? I don’t agree.

No, I was talking more out of a gameplay perspective. Exploration is basically all the player has to do in Dear Esther, and the game itself provides the experience through its graphics and poetry and so on.

Dear Esther with more gameplay should mean that you’ll be exploring an area and make a bunch of discoveries (that’ll turn the thing into an experience), but you’ll also be doing some other things than exploring (like solving puzzles, or platforming, or whatever).

wilco - 14 February 2013 05:07 PM

For me it implies that Dear Esther doesn’t have gameplay

Well, the exploration aspect *is* gameplay, but it’s extremely minimal. But we’ve talked for pages upon pages about whether or not Dear Esther is a game, so let’s not go there… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 12:56 PM
Dertiger - 14 February 2013 11:32 AM

Also, I’m new here, so hello to all members! Smile

It’s my privilige to extend a laurel and hearty handshake to our new… member! Wink

Btw, are you a 30-something Dutchman?

Thanks for the warm welcome!!
  Well, you’re right that I’m 30, but not over it yet. But not a Dutchman no…  Smile

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 05:13 PM

What you’re saying is that it’s the exploration that makes DE unique? I don’t agree.

No, I was talking more out of a gameplay perspective. Exploration is basically all the player has to do in Dear Esther, and the game itself provides the experience through its graphics and poetry and so on.

You never played InSCAPE’s The Dark Eye, did you? It did all these in ‘95, a long time before Dear Esther (and much more successfully IMHO)...

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Sefir - 15 February 2013 02:47 AM
TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 05:13 PM

You never played InSCAPE’s The Dark Eye, did you? It did all these in ‘95, a long time before Dear Esther (and much more successfully IMHO)...

Technically it offered a non-linear experience which says a lot. I loved that game too. Then again, its success came from its originality. Retelling of Edgar Allan Poe stories in an interactive film type game. The best part was various perspectives from each character in the story, all in which can be experienced at anytime during the game.

Then again, that game didn’t have the polish of today’s technology. Neither games are alike. Why? because it goes beyond logic to experience said games. It takes a bit more initiative to enjoy because we are so used to the mainstream way of experiencing games.

We are finally at the point in time where artistic expression can be properly realized in interactive media.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Dertiger - 15 February 2013 02:08 AM

Well, you’re right that I’m 30, but not over it yet. But not a Dutchman no…  Smile

Aha, a Belgian! How nice for Timovieman.  Cool
Lots of Dutchies here.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Fien - 15 February 2013 05:38 AM

Lots of Dutchies here.

I’m sorry for Timovieman, but I’m not Belgian either.  Neutral

Bientôt l’été seems like an nice game.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Dertiger - 15 February 2013 02:10 PM
Fien - 15 February 2013 05:38 AM

Lots of Dutchies here.

Bientôt l’été seems like an nice game.

You’re swiss! You have to be!
I’m just guessing like everyone else…I think

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

South-African perhaps? Smile
Okay, in case you haven’t figured it out yet, Dertiger is a Dutch word, meaning “someone in his/her thirties”. I’m guessing it has a totally different meaning for you.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

What’s the dutch word for “why don’t you just tell us where you’re from” ??

(I swear the Dutch have words for everything)  Tongue

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Zifnab - 15 February 2013 06:36 PM

That actually sounds like something from Simon the Sorcerer! Grin Well done, Sir!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Zifnab - 15 February 2013 06:36 PM

What, didn’t they give you a decoder ring at the door? Tsk, tsk.

T: Welcome!Are you Dutch?
D: I don’t want to tell you where I’m from.
F: Oh, come on! Where’s the harm in telling us where you’re from!
D: Leave me alone.
F: Fine. See if I care.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Fien - 15 February 2013 04:04 PM

South-African perhaps? Smile
Okay, in case you haven’t figured it out yet, Dertiger is a Dutch word, meaning “someone in his/her thirties”. I’m guessing it has a totally different meaning for you.

ooopss! Confused I never noticed that it meant this in Dutch!
sorry!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Dertiger - 16 February 2013 02:49 AM

ooopss! Confused I never noticed that it meant this in Dutch!
sorry!

A new forum member arrives and instead of trying to welcome it to the community (as TimovieMan tried), it took us less than 2 screens of comments to make him/her feel uncomfortable for the most stupid reason existed. Congratulations.

Welcome Dertiger. Wherever you are from.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

What is an Adventure Game? Its a game which doesn’t completely fit into any other genre. It doesn’t overwhelm you with action, puzzles, simulations, strategy, etc. Adventure is a balance to all of them. Adventure games are to gaming as to what Drama is to film. A healthy balance of everything without too much of anything. lol I say that definition fits the whole genre perfectly.

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Sefir - 16 February 2013 03:20 AM

Welcome Dertiger. Wherever you are from.

thank you! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top