• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I have to say I found the dialog in TLJ to be terrible. I think Ragnar has gotten better over time. He could always spin a good yarn, but he’s terrible about over-writing dialects and catch phrases and the like into his characters to where they don’t talk like people anymore. Chapters is a lot better in that regard.

I enjoy the large-ish areas of the game. Admittedly it pads out the game length just running around, but it also makes the game world feel more alive and more real to me, and it brings back warm memories of Shenmue.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thoughts on the best/worst line of the episode? something like [spoiler]get over here. I’m as hard as an iron “something-something”[/spoiler] Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Frogacuda - 16 March 2015 08:06 AM

I enjoy the large-ish areas of the game. Admittedly it pads out the game length just running around, but it also makes the game world feel more alive and more real to me, and it brings back warm memories of Shenmue.

I agree, it adds to the game but I think they could’ve done something more with it. For example why couldn’t Zoe stop at the coffe shop to have some cappuccino that she wanted so much! Little extras like that could lead to some side stuff and some dialogues with other characters that would add to the open-world.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 16 March 2015 08:46 AM

I agree, it adds to the game but I think they could’ve done something more with it. For example why couldn’t Zoe stop at the coffe shop to have some cappuccino that she wanted so much!

Mostlikely because they don’t have an actual coffee shop interior model, at least yet. It is a budget thing and getting coffee, while it would be nice, is secondaty at best. But here’s for hoping they’ll actually implement interior for it for all our coffee needs.

It would have been great had they gotten a million or so more in order to add even more polish and possibilities of interaction to the Europolis. With Mercuria they had a good reason why there wasn’t more places open there, thanks to being night time, but Europolis would be a 24/7 kind of a place and more visitable locations in it would really enhance the experience.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 16 March 2015 09:01 AM

Mostlikely because they don’t have an actual coffee shop interior model, at least yet. It is a budget thing and getting coffee, while it would be nice, is secondaty at best. But here’s for hoping they’ll actually implement interior for it for all our coffee needs.

It would have been great had they gotten a million or so more in order to add even more polish and possibilities of interaction to the Europolis. With Mercuria they had a good reason why there wasn’t more places open there, thanks to being night time, but Europolis would be a 24/7 kind of a place and more visitable locations in it would really enhance the experience.

She could have had coffee on the outside. Smile But, yeah, adding stuff like that would probably make budget go up, probably best to stick to wants absolutely needed.  Games like Shemnue did have an infinite budget…
Just to be clear I’m still enjoying the episodes a lot and the game is exceeding my expectations, in quality and length.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I agree that small things like begin able to grab a cup of coffee, or going into some of the shops / clubs, would have added something to the game, but .. yeah unlimited budget.

Anyway a thought just occurred to me:

Vamon says that he expected the raid to go wrong, and that the consequences would keep the general occupied for days cleaning up the mess. But does that actually means that he had deliberately leaked the information of the raid to the rebels?

Does it mean that Lihko’s idiotic decision to NOT act on the information, actually spoiled Vamon’s plans? That by doing the wrong thing for all the wrong reasons Lihko inadvertently ended up doing the RIGHT thing?

Does it also mean that the whole thing with the Azardi captain and the girl was a set-up arranged by Vamon, and that Anna is actually working for Vamon?

Or am I reading too much into this?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

wilco - 16 March 2015 12:05 PM
tomimt - 16 March 2015 09:01 AM

She could have had coffee on the outside. Smile But, yeah, adding stuff like that would probably make budget go up, probably best to stick to wants absolutely needed.  Games like Shemnue did have an infinite budget…
Just to be clear I’m still enjoying the episodes a lot and the game is exceeding my expectations, in quality and length.

There’s also the practical concern in terms of losing the game behind that kind of petty interaction. In adventure games big and small you often comb the area for things that “work” and when you find something that works you assume it’s important. When you start putting things that don’t work or don’t have any relevance to the game there, it can make it more difficult for the player to deduce what actually is important.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Optional side-quests ala what Murdered Soul Suspect didn’t have nearly anywhere near enough of is what I think the world needs.

But, yes, budget. Wink

I think they’ve done pretty well all things considering. But for me, the 3D part on offer here doesn’t enhance my immersion or alter my experience to any greater extent than what I got from something like BoUT2, a much more traditional, but just as immersive IMO, experience.

I’m wondering if I’d feel differently playing this on console as opposed to computer. I like playing console adventures, and this feels like something I should play on a console to me.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-07-02

PM

A.A - 16 March 2015 03:27 AM

Ahem. I, er, mayhaps, have been a touch hasty with my previous judgement. Cough.

I’m feeling the same way you did in your previous post ,playing at nighttime ,wandering around,probably getting lost,though that’s hard to tell, not knowing what to do or should i talk to a certain person or not.

But seeing your last post gives me hope Smile
Sometimes it seems best to stop playing when a game feels like this and come back to it later with a fresh pair of eyes (and brain)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Book Three updates Meh

Book Three will not be as epic sized as Book Two. With our second episode, we wanted to ramp up the drama and bring the story to a certain point in time, which required us to include more content than we’d originally planned. Book Three will be more streamlined and intense. And while we’re still in the early production and design phases on the final two books, neither of those will be quite as massive as Book Two.

cant blame them or anything, no one expected such a huge/epic episode, and nothing would oblige them to it’s length.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Episode 1 and 2 of Dreamfall Chapters have taken me longer than all 5 episodes of Walking Dead Season One, so it’s hard to have any disappointment when it comes to the length of upcoming episodes.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Even with 3-4 hour episodes after the book 2 will make Chapters a pretty massive game in lenght. It already is longer than some AAA games out there.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Bump* about the two books so (so far), good & bad:
(and i havent like read much through the previous posts) I got to admit that this (the game so far) is one hell kicking adventuring evolution,...but..something strike me as soft spot making the construction seems a bit weak; the “puzzle-themselves” and that what worries me most, and first to speak of them; they are smart and creative.. fun and little! but when you look at the whole construction and the triggers leading to them (puzzles) you find too much distractions; when the main puzzling song of the game, is locating yourself/the targeted location (at those enormous, gigantic areas that i consider IMO the most great achievement happened to the adventure gaming production industry since the last decade) yiu start to lose your compass sensitivity toward the possible surrounding problems, and they seem a bit foggy, nesting in the background with no directions to, especially when all puzzles are too less in number. 
That makes somehow Dreamfall:The Longest journey way too traditional (adventure) to Chapters Period*

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

IMHO, second episode/book is much, much better than first in almost all areas (puzzles, drama, tough choices, etc.) All but one - interactions with other people.

In the first part, all the citizens in Propast were commenting on actual political situation, i.e. who should become next leader. You could sneak up on them and listen to their reasons for 5 to 10 minutes, just like you did in Psychonauts with that music band. Unfortunately, that largely disappeared in Book Two.

OK, there are couple of strong reasons that might explain why people are more reserved in this episode. Strong police/army patrol on the streets of Propast/Marcuria doesn’t leave much place for open, public criticism. Nevertheless, I missed those random talks. Frown

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I haven’t played too much of ep2 yet and I don’t want to read back in the thread for fear of spoilers, but I have a question about the section in Mercuria… Isn’t Kian supposed to be wearing a veil that makes him invisible except to people he knows well, or to people he shows himself to? They said it like three times so I thought that was the case, but it seems like everyone can see him just fine—people he *didn’t* make himself known to, like the guy outside the Mole’s who calls him over, or the kid who tries to pickpocket him.

Did I misunderstand? Is he not wearing it yet?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top