• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

After reigniting our interest with numerous interviews, hints and sneak peaks, Mr Tørnquist finally unveiled the Dreamfall: Chapters Kickstarter.

His new game studio is asking for $850,000. According to the RPS interview (second part), Dreamfall cost about $6,000,000, but the studio will be getting more money as grants. Tørnquist is also expecting for Chapters to cost significantly less that the prequel due to a better engine (Unity), reusable art assets and the experience of the team.

I guess I’m a backer, even though I can barely recall the story of the first two games.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Snap, I posted this in the other thread.

They are looking for $850,000 not $500,000.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Lucien21 - 08 February 2013 07:58 AM

Snap, I posted this in the other thread.

They are looking for $850,000 not $500,000.

Snap, you’re right. Fixed. Mods, feel free to merge.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Amazing

Smile

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I am one of those that are not a big fan of The Longest Journey. The first game was lovely and I liked the game play but the never ending, inane dialog put me off so much that I was bored. With Dreamfall the keyboard controls and the fact that that it wasn’t much of a “game” more like an interactive story put me off.

That being said I am a fan of adventure games and gamers. I know how exciting it is when a game you truly are in love with announces a sequel and I am happy for you guys. Will I play Dreamfall Chapters, of course, its an adventure game but moreso because it says this “3D point-and-click interface and engaging puzzle gameplay designed for fans of adventure games”. What I am not looking forward to is what Ragnar says in the video “Branching Conversations”. As long as the branching doesn’t involve limitless inane dialog trees that slow down progress with the “game play” I would get by it.

Maybe I missed it or the fact the the Kickstarter just started but I really didn’t see anything about DRM. Given the fact that so many other Kickstarter campaigns were flooded with complaints when a game was adding DRM that some had to relent and remove it in their ads, I am surprised. Did I miss it?

All in all I wish the campaign mush success and hope that it exceeds the goal by a lot. Are you listening CYAN?

EDIT:
Resolved the DRM issue when I scrolled, way, way down the page, you would think that it would be listed in the “Pledge $20 or more” Tier.

Every tier from $20 (limited to the first 5,000 pledgers; unlimited at $25) and up includes a digital copy of the game for the PC. This digital copy will be available for download DRM free when the game launches in November 2014. You can also add a digital copy to any pledge by managing your pledge.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

EDIT: too late…

GreyFuss - 08 February 2013 10:38 AM

Maybe I missed it or the fact the the Kickstarter just started but I really didn’t see anything about DRM. Given the fact that so many other Kickstarter campaigns were flooded with complaints when a game was adding DRM that some had to relent and remove it in their ads, I am surprised. Did I miss it?

What, you mean you didn’t read the 23 million words of text on the Kickstarter page? Tongue

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Thanks, I did see this after I posted above. When I had more time to scroll and scroll and scroll. lol.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

They have already reached about 115.000$ out of the goal of 850.000, so it would surprise me if they dont get more then they are asking for.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Wow! $850,000 is a lot of money for a Kickstarter adventure game. But it goes without saying that I put my trust in the Balance.

I thought 2013 would be a year where I could keep my money in my pocket and reap the fruits of my Kickstarter investments, but they just keep on coming. First Asylum, now the Dreamfall Chapters.  Cool

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Wow, 120.000$+ already! I’ll finally get to see what happens after Dreamfall: The Longest Journey… Smile

And of course April Ryan will be the third playable character. They’re not going to kill her off halfway in the story!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2005-05-28

PM

Adventuregamers, I know Dreamfall pissed the f out of all of us, but Ragnar and his studio promise to devote their remaining lives to make Dreamfall Chapters the most substantial game of the series yet!

Broken Sword and now this. I am so broke. And Syberia III has not even started yet lol
but great times for the Adventure genre! so please pledge for Dreamfall Chapters!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Will I play Dreamfall Chapters, of course, its an adventure game but moreso because it says this “3D point-and-click interface and engaging puzzle gameplay designed for fans of adventure games”.

Farther down the page it describes the controls as a “combination of point-and-click and direct control”. I’m not sure whether that means the two are separate options or a true combination. Some people use “point-and-click” to refer to a figurative kind of gameplay sensibility rather than a literal mechanical thing. (Grim Fandango, for example, is often referred to as P&C, even though it isn’t.)

I’ll be trying to get clarification on this, but for now, I wouldn’t consider it a certainty that it’s mouse-only.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

$167.000 already, keeps going up fast for now Smile

A very nice intro video, but I’m still undecided about the amount to pledge, it annoys the 15-20$ to ship outside US (aren’t they from Oslo?), but I guess that is a always a problem with shipping costs.

So, who donated the $5000?

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Jackal - 08 February 2013 12:20 PM

Will I play Dreamfall Chapters, of course, its an adventure game but moreso because it says this “3D point-and-click interface and engaging puzzle gameplay designed for fans of adventure games”.

Farther down the page it describes the controls as a “combination of point-and-click and direct control”. I’m not sure whether that means the two are separate options or a true combination. Some people use “point-and-click” to refer to a figurative kind of gameplay sensibility rather than a literal mechanical thing. (Grim Fandango, for example, is often referred to as P&C, even though it isn’t.)

I’ll be trying to get clarification on this, but for now, I wouldn’t consider it a certainty that it’s mouse-only.

Many thanks Jackal, look forward to what you can come up with. It also states this further down the page

It will have an interface that harkens back to traditional point-and-click adventures

Which confuses even more. Does that mean like in TLJ?

I think of totally mouse controlled when I hear the term “point & click” Whether it be click and hold for movement or simply just clicking and moving the mouse. TLJ was point & click where as Dreamfall was keyboard & mouse or keyboard only, neither of which I would put into the point & click class. I must say though that today, with a programmable mouse the movement might be easier with a Dreamfall control if all you have to do is program one button on the mouse for forward movement and all the other interactions using the mouse I would be OK with that. Not having several different keys to look at and use takes away from the immersion of the game to me.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 08 February 2013 11:01 AM

Wow, 120.000$+ already! I’ll finally get to see what happens after Dreamfall: The Longest Journey… Smile

And of course April Ryan will be the third playable character. They’re not going to kill her off halfway in the story!

Have to meet the goal, Ragnar in one interview said to wait more years if goal not met.

EDIT: 186 k Smile

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Doing AMAZING! This is like a dream come true. I just wish I could pledge more. Meh

I hope some of this pledging overflows to Asylum. Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top