• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiekanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah i see the devs point.
Sure consoles absolutely limited how far they could take the graphics. But its the market for consoles that was allowing them to have a big AAA budget anyway, so take consoles out of the equation and they still arent using the most perfect graphics.
And i have every ounce of faith in cdpr that they are going to make patches for the pc version that blows the current state away.
Personally, i dont even care too much and think the graphics are fantastic enough anyway.

Iv played about 10 hours now, and i dont know how they do it. To me the key ingredient of a great series is that you dont reinvent the wheel with every game, and you build on whats good and fix what was bad. What do the witcher 2 and 3 do? They reinvent the wheel every time. And its good every time. Each of the three games has wildly different mechanics, style and pacing. And all three of them stand on their own.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Iznogood - 23 May 2015 08:48 AM
nomadsoul - 21 May 2015 09:25 AM

Also My other point of PC being bad bet against consoles for RoI and big investments.

I have to congratulate you on that spin Thumbs Up
They downgrade the graphics in the game, because the consoles couldn’t handle it even though PC could, and you spin it into PC=Bad Console=Good

You’re sure you are not a politician?

Anyway, I haven’t had a chance to play this yet, but I will most likely pick it up at some point.

I think if you have only read the CDP comment you would know what the deal is, there is no spin.Its clear.

If Consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is,” answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. “We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

And to your, high end rigs, downgrade for Consoles spin, you should have atleast read first page of comments.

Common sense - If anyone thinks that the niche high end PC market is enough to sustain $20-$50m AAA projects on its own, then they need a reality check.

In a fantasy world where game development didn’t cost money, the PC-only version of Witcher 3 would look much better on the highest-end PCs.

In the real world, where making games costs money, a PC-only version of the Witcher 3 wouldn’t look anything like those renders because it basically wouldn’t exist. The size and scale of Witcher 3 only happened because they could count on console sales.

Pan

So no Console no W3 as it is, because PC only for Techdemoes is a bad bet, and companies cant get RoI on PC only from game of this investment, basically what i said , what CDP said and most of the non politicians at neogaf got it clearly. lol

Lucien21 - 23 May 2015 08:00 AM

40+ hours in a week or less…

Not sure if that is a healthy lifestyle, something to aspire to or just plain sad.

You need to get out the house more.

I remember you said you wished you had time and money like me, and now saying you are sad, lol.
Smells like salt.
Not married, no kids, no liabilities.
And there are plenty of people who finished the game before me who got the game on official date of 19th where as i got it early. And perhaps i am too good at playing.
Grin

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

nomadsoul - 23 May 2015 03:14 PM

Not sure if that is a healthy lifestyle, something to aspire to or just plain sad.

I remember you said you wished you had time and money like me, and now saying you are sad, lol.
Smells like salt.
And there are plenty of people who finished the game before me who got the game on official date of 19th where as i got it early. And perhaps i am too good at playing.
Grin

I know , lol, it’s just jealousy.

I do wish I could live the life of doing nothing but play video games all day.

Still that doesnt mean its not a bit sad.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

So far i’ve played it for about 5 hours and just killed the Griffen.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 23 May 2015 04:02 PM

Smells like salt.
Grin

I know , lol, it’s just jealousy.

I do wish I could live the life of doing nothing but play video games all day.

Still that doesnt mean its not a bit sad.

If you wont do nothing you cant work hard to earn money for Day0 editions Wink
rather than sales discount and and being frugal in life matters lol. There is a reason why i can afford more games/consoles than you , playing them comes later, food for thought.
I know how it feels when you get games late and dont have lifestyle of others, develop resentment, but your personal shots instead of discussing game only shows your level of sodium.

So heads up to Admins/Mods, its getting way saltier.
He started it, i mean i cannot even discuss my experience of game Grin
If you want personal grudges sorted out, PM me.

Don’t taint this thread with salt.

Talking about game,

Lucien21 - 23 May 2015 04:03 PM

So far i’ve played it for about 5 hours and just killed the Griffen.

Its Griffin, not griffen.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Griffin

Wink

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Iznogood - 23 May 2015 08:48 AM
nomadsoul - 21 May 2015 09:25 AM

Also My other point of PC being bad bet against consoles for RoI and big investments.

I have to congratulate you on that spin Thumbs Up
They downgrade the graphics in the game, because the consoles couldn’t handle it even though PC could, and you spin it into PC=Bad Console=Good

You’re sure you are not a politician?

Anyway, I haven’t had a chance to play this yet, but I will most likely pick it up at some point.

There wouldn’t be a witcher 3 without consoles. They said that themselves.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I think if you have only read the CDP comment you would know what the deal is, there is no spin.Its clear.

You are cherry picking individual quotes from a long article/interview about something entirely different, and you are doing it in order to make it look like they are supporting your very own agenda, while you at the same time completely ignore what the article is actually about. If that is not the very definition of a political spin, then I don’t know what is.

The article is about how they had to downgrade the graphics in order to make the game run on consoles, and you try to use that as proof that consoles are better than PC - I rest my case! (well not quite yet)

As for:

If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is,” answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. “We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

Well of course they have to release the game on all three platforms!
If you want to make a triple A game, then you will either have to sell as many copies as possible, which means that you have to sell it to both PC, PS and Xbox gamers, OR you need a truckload of money from either Sony or Microsoft to make it exclusive for their platform - Nothing new or controversial about that.

But to make that sound like consoles are better than PC, or that computer gaming wouldn’t exists if it wasn’t for consoles, that is an entirely different matter - Especially since the guy you are quoting says absolutely nothing of that sort.

Sure, consoles are an important market for computer games, but computer games existed before Sony thought of making a Playstation or Microsoft an Xbox, and if neither had been made, people would still be playing the same games, just on PC or some other platform instead.

That you prefer to play games on a console is by now no secret, and that is perfectly fine, I have absolutely no problem with that. But that you constantly have to argue that consoles objectively are better, and not just your personal preference, well - that is quit honestly beginning to get a bit tiresome, and when you have to resort to outright spin to make that argument, then I have to call it out for what it is.

Anyone interested can see the full article here.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m in Velen, wizardry is what CDP has done! downgrade or whatever the game looks miles ahead of every other open-world game.
I cannot wait to see how Cyberpunk will look like.

I’m thinking the combat is too easy for now, I’m at the second difficulty level and didn’t have trouble with ant of the fights.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Iznogood - 23 May 2015 08:23 PM

The article is about how they had to downgrade the graphics in order to make the game run on consoles

Even if you look it that way, its console first PC catering later.
2 choices A and B, if CDP going for A instead of B then there is something better on A to curb B, and leave customers of B with tools to change ini files so that they can modify themselves.
Good for CDP that they followed suit of Activision, R* etc., because i want them to make games of this big scale to show their worth in gaming without going bankrupt by catering to niche or just make low scale games with High powered graphics, infact this scale would not be possible without consoles or downgraded graphics in other words.Sacrificing details and expanding other things which matter most is the right way.
It will always console first, not to surprising considering the sales of AAA third party games on consoles(hint:highest)monthly.

And as wilco said, the downgrade is still better than almost all openworld AAA open world games.
Though variety of Dragonage locations is not there, but texture quality and IQ is way above and beyond in W3 and the character models are fantastic to say the least.

And yeah i hope CDP dont disband, i cannot wait now for Cyberpunk.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Still a long way to go in the game and it’s going to take me a really time to finish it but wanted to say that the Bloody Baron quest is one of the most brilliant questlines and stories I’ve seen in gaming.
The content, the writing, the delivery of the Baron voice actor, the facial animations… made me shiver.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

wilco - 01 June 2015 10:45 AM

Still a long way to go in the game and it’s going to take me a really time to finish it but wanted to say that the Bloody Baron quest is one of the most brilliant questlines and stories I’ve seen in gaming.
The content, the writing, the delivery of the Baron voice actor, the facial animations… made me shiver.

im looking forward to it, im about to start that quest.
I just did the sidequest with keira on the island, and i have to say i was really impressed. It was a really nicely made sidequest and piece of storytelling.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 01 June 2015 12:28 PM
wilco - 01 June 2015 10:45 AM

im looking forward to it, im about to start that quest.
I just did the sidequest with keira on the island, and i have to say i was really impressed. It was a really nicely made sidequest and piece of storytelling.

Hey neogaf also made this post, good to see the admiration all over, though everything was superb about the questline i was not much sympathetic towards Baron , my watershed moment came later. Wink

Its even better that how these quests tie up with main Quests, and there is plenty of
awesome writing and character development later.

For me the only weak link was Novigrad padding, but some AG lovers might like that.

Last week i finished up Side sidemissions, which you can do independently and some WitcherContracts, the amount of detail,clever buildups and twists even these side stuff material is commendable.

And lastly, make sure to be careful about making choices , there are 3 main endings and you can change the whole questline direction with few bad decisions in between, and have to replay alot to get to best(or other) ending.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

Also loving it thusfar, i made it to the Skellige Islands plotwise.
The main quests are huge and indeed very compelling.

I only did two main quests on Skellige, as i discovered that the enemies are too powerful in ramdom areas, so i went back to Vergen to explore and complete some leftover side quests and contracts.

I’m very happy to hear that Gerald won’t blow out a candle instead of opening the chest, which will be fixed in the next patch. I hadn’t thought of it as a real nuisance, but it does get ridiculous after a while.

I just have one thing that REALLY annoyed me and that i want to get off my chest.
It’s the only moment so far where the game broke immersion, by doing something really lame game-play wise.
Spoilers ahead for the “Carnal Sins” side quest in Novigrad:

I thought i had identified the serial killer correctly, as nobody pointed out to me that i did something wrong. It was only until i was checking all the character bios that i discovered that someone else had been the killer. Confused
In a game that is all about choices and consequences, this was just lame game design.
I find it appalling that, in a game that offers such great storytelling during cutscenes, I had to read through rather boring character bios to get the real story.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Hey guys, I haven’t visited the AG forums since what, 1982 or something. I’ve been playing mostly shooters since December but I completely forgot there was a General section here to discuss all these other genres. This is sick!

I started playing the first Witcher last week and so far, it’s good times. I’m far from an RPG expert, having completed only, er… one RPG before. I can’t remember how many I started and then failed to complete, but it must be dozens and dozens. I still haven’t played Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3, despite pre-ordering both, but this time I’m determined to play all these RPGs in my backlog.

I’m actually glad I decided to start with the first game in the series, even though it probably means that by the time I boot up The Witcher 3, it will be an old classic requiring an emulator to play. But I need to play them in order!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jade - 02 June 2015 10:53 PM

I’m actually glad I decided to start with the first game in the series, even though it probably means that by the time I boot up The Witcher 3, it will be an old classic requiring an emulator to play. But I need to play them in order!

I think you will be fine down the line, this series is classic and Witcher1 and 2 will only make you more involved and happy with W3.
Its not like we get many RPGs with as original setting and lore as Witcher series.

No offense to fans, but LordsoftheRings and Games of Thrones are joke against this IMO.
So its must for Medieval fantasy or Highfantasy fans.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top