• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Sherlock Holmes game: Crimes & Punishments

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Tantei KID - 04 October 2014 10:04 AM

And I like the deduction system, though it was quite simple yet. I hope it gets to Sigma Harmonica, Trick X Logic or Trick DS heights in terms of allowing the player come up with a bunch of plausible deductions.

Did you enjoy Sigma Harmonics? I read somewhere it was pretty awful, could’ve been your blog.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Did all of Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories have a mystery, in the sense you are talking about? I haven’t read them all. I thought Nemesis was more like the stories involving Moriarty, where Holmes is up against a clever adversary and simply has to outwit him.

Most had some kind of mystery/inexplicable event/problem, though not all - some of the best-known (“The Final Problem,” “A Scandal in Bohemia”) were more general adventures. If Nemesis had really captured the feel of “The Final Problem” - conspiracy everywhere, a flight from a powerful adversary, and so on, I wouldn’t be saying it was a series of plot trinket scavenger hunts.

In general, if a Holmesian villain starts acting like a Batman villain - leaving riddles everywhere to taunt pursuers, or (TESTAMENT SPOILER: making a drug-crazed army operate out of a funfair to spread chaos and conquer the world) - I’m going to say the story’s being influenced more by later pulps than by Holmes. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing; the Strand Magazine Holmes stories were pulpy in their time - but the Frogwares games have an identity crisis where they aren’t quite sure what sort of story they’re aiming for.

(Nemesis had the advantage, at least, of sticking to its “Sherlock Holmes vs. the Riddler” approach most of the time, but even there the relationship between Holmes and Lupin was just too dry.)

Testament’s total story collapse in the ending is the worst case of this. You spend most of the game dealing with paranoia, quasi-realistic intrigue, and deduction board work, and then it ends with a CIRCUS OF DOOM. My opinion of Testament would be much, much higher if the endgame weren’t so deadening.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Origami - 04 October 2014 03:04 PM
OrionO - 04 October 2014 06:14 AM

Sherlock Holmes stories, some of the most popular mystery stories worldwide, have done a lot more than just stand the test of time. This is a testament to the clever plots and skill of Conan Doyle, whose excellent writing is very accessible.

No, that is a testament to great character creation and succesful chemistry between them.

If those aren’t the hallmarks of a good writer, then I don’t know what are.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Quite enjoying the game myself. Actually prematurely solved the case before getting all the clues and upon replaying just the last bit in order to get a different ending,realised my error, got the rest of the clues, and wound up with a different (albeit likely incorrect) suspect. Pretty neat.

Onto the third case now,and enjoying it a lot, though I’m pretty sure I’m 0/2 so far in terms of getting the right man(I’m choosing not to reveal whether I’m right or not).

Oh well…poor Sherlock, having a bit of a bad spell. Happens to the best of us. Wink

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Origami - 04 October 2014 03:43 PM

Did you enjoy Sigma Harmonics? I read somewhere it was pretty awful, could’ve been your blog.

I haven’t finished it yet, but it’s a very flawed game. The fundamental ideas are interesting (a detective RPG where level bosses are powered up by wrong deductions) and the deduction system is really awesome (you can basically come up with any solution), but it has a nightmare of an UI and the RPG elements are kinda iffy too. Great music though.

Finished C&P. Quite enjoyed the direction they went with this game and it definitely felt the most like a Holmes game of all of Frogwares games. Some random thoughts:

+ Yay for no more shizophrenic POV jumping between Holmes & Watson because they want you to be the great detective and be surprised at his deductions at the same time. This was a major gripe I had with the previous games and I’m glad they finally fixed it.
- On the other hand, Watson has become utterly useless now you don’t use him to fetch a book from the other side of the room. Toby and Random Officer are more useful than Watson. I wish they could have written him a bit more… talkative.
+ I like the deduction system. It’s not super original, but it works and it ties in well with the multiple ending approach of this game.
- But because the game kinda tells you when you’ve found everything, it’s kinda hard to not find all the evidence and find the real culprit.
+ Sherlock Scans don’t always help you, but heck, it’s cool! Kinda funny how a SH game borrows from Sherlock‘s presentation, which in turn borrowed heavily from game grammar.
+ I like how they reused some of the more interesting segments of previous games like using a timetable to figure out where every suspect was, or deducing the movements of a suspect in a room.
+ I am so glad there were almost none of those horrible slide / IQ lock puzzles. I hated the world in previous games where everybody used overly complex locks on everything because a key would be too easy. 
- Why is the relation between Sherlock and Mycroft like the one in Sherlock?
- The finale is a bit underwhelming, because the ties to the rest of the game aren’t really strong enough.
- Three of the cases are based on Conan Doyle’s stories, so those cases were kinda predictable. The game-original cases are… not really bad, but not as amusing as the Conan Doyle stories. Also, the choice of the Conan Doyle stories is a bit strange, because two are quite similiar…
- The second half of the first original story feels horribly out of place in the game.
- I kinda wished they would allow you to do multiple cases at the same time, like a Judge Dee story… Each case is kinda compact, so it felt a bit cramped at time.
- I wish the cases had more suspects.
- Not a big fan of the mini-game segments. Some were okay, some are always the same (lockpicking!) and some were horrible. And while I usually don’t mind QTEs, I had to redo an absolutely terrible one at the end of the fifth chapter three times. Which involved waiting a looooong time with reloading.
+ Home Alone Holmes
+ Taichi Watson

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

- But because the game kinda tells you when you’ve found everything, it’s kinda hard to not find all the evidence and find the real culprit.

This is actually a pro for me. I have always been a completionist so continuing on having missed something has never been an option.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

But it goes against the whole concept of ‘becoming Holmes yourself and the possibilty of making the wrong deductions / arrests’. Sure, I can make an arrest early in every case, but because I know (am told) that I still have areas to explore, tasks to do, I can assume that I don’t have all the information yet and thus it’s too early to make an arrest. It’s like they give you a pile of puzzle pieces and lay another one two meters away from you and say you must complete one puzzle. You could try making the puzzle with just the pile you have now, but it would be wiser to first check out the other pile to see if it has pieces you might need, right?

If a core concept of the game is that you can make false calls, then it should at least try to lead you to one, instead of basically outright telling you you are going to make a mistake. Had it been tied to a time system, sure, this would make sense (lessay, an innocent man is going to hang unless you present another case by deadline X), but now every serious player is going to try find all information (and as a result, end up with the right solution).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Can’t believe the game dropped out the chance to be one of the BEST GAMES and not only Sherlock Holmes game, by AUTOMATING almost every bit of exploration!

- What’s the point of having evidence items in your inventory if the game AUTOMATICALLY chooses which evidence item of those corresponds over a hotspot or in a dialog?! Say, you’re having boots in your inventory. Then, you click on a hotspot with foot prints. The game AUTOMATICALLY uses boots from your inventory and compares them with “foot prints” hotspot, thus making the deduction! And listen - I didn’t spoil ANYTHING for you! HA! The game always chooses the right item at the right place! The funniest part is that the player is required only to drag the “already-positioned-over-the-hotspot” boots to hotspot! All you’re doing is an action similar to drag&dropping; your windows icons to a folder! Imagine playing Monkey Island, and once you come and click on the cable line, the game AUTOMATICALLY COMBINES CHICKEN AND PULLEY, AND USES IT ON THE CABLE, leaving you to DRAG WITH YOUR MOUSE Guybrush over the ravine! You’re practically clicking your way through, while having a pseudo-interaction with the gameworld.

- What’s the point of having “Sherlock’s talent” and “Imagination” options if the game tells you EVERY TIME the right moment when to use them?! The difference between having those special skills, and not having them is ONLY that you’ll have to click one additional keyboard button! And there’s no option to turn the “hints” off!

Why am I disappointed? Because there’s a HUGE potential in all this! That very same evidence items are well thought-out with a neat description that might aid you in your discovery, but the gameplay kills every bit of interaction and that little creative thinking found refuge only in the “Deduction space”. And “Talent” and “Imagination” options are revolutionary concepts but TOTALLY USELESS when the game tells you when to use them. It would be alright if the game aimed for the interactive movie approach, but it’s not, there’s a big and ground breaking “individual deducing” concept here. Also, the atmosphere is just right, it’s miles ahead of The Awakened/Nemesis in terms of liveliness, colors, vivid locations that ooze with mystery, drama, background noise & people… but what it’s worth when Awakened and Nemesis are simply better games?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2004-08-26

PM

Diego.

would you be interested into missing clues totally and being able to finish the case although incorrectly? Won’t you be even more disappointed because you missed a puzzle, a feature at a certain time and prevent you to get a clue allowing you to conclude correctly?

Also not being told about 6th sense of imagination, would force pixel hunting at some specific time, in 3D, in levels that are rather big. Focus test showed players could wander Woodman’s lee during 20 minutes looking at what to do without these indications, it wasn’t fun or interesting for them.

We are interested in constructive critics.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Wael - 06 October 2014 08:59 AM

Focus test showed players could wander Woodman’s lee during 20 minutes looking at what to do without these indications, it wasn’t fun or interesting for them.

If you ask me, it’s far, FAR better to wander aimlessly for 20 minutes (or less than 20 minutes, if I decide at any moment that I want to look at hints), than to be served with solution right away. Because these indicators ARE solutions - it’s: “Press this key now, and look what Holmes can do”, and not: “I’ll decide what’s the right time to use Sherlock’s 6th senses”, which is in contradiction to the general and original concept of the game. You see, by making hints, or indications optional, you’re configuring your game to adapt to individual player - someone will wander for 1 minute, someone for 10 minutes, and someone will enjoy wandering for 1 hour before deciding it’s time for a hint or an indicator - you’re individualizing your game. This way it’s only suited for those who want to click through a solution. The mini-games are great example - there’s an optional skip button. Perfect! Why, by default, not starting with no hints for 6th senses as well? Similarly - why not giving players an option to, for example, choose by themselves which evidence to use at a hotspot by highlighting it in the inventory (with an optional hints). Those two things would significantly boost the immersion, IMO.

Wael - 06 October 2014 08:59 AM

Won’t you be even more disappointed because you missed a puzzle, a feature at a certain time and prevent you to get a clue allowing you to conclude correctly?

But that’s brilliant! That’s exactly the type of “individualizing” the game I had in mind! Everyone will have the freedom to decide when it’s time to “call it a day”, or decide that there’s still some research to do. I think it’s brilliant that in Crimes & Punishments designers left the option to conclude the case even before gathering all the clues, but that “freedom” would have been even more accented if the exploration & puzzle part hadn’t been by default extremely automated.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

In a detective game, where you solve murders, or any other crimes, failure should always be an option. Sometimes it just happens, that even if you know who’s quilty, you just can’t prove it. For an example I like how you can fail solving the case in LA Noire. Thatäs not faulty design, that’s good design as the game still continues, it’s the rest of the game that reacts if you fumble the ball.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2004-08-26

PM

Thanks Diego, much informative.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree with diego and tomimt. In a game like this, with several smaller individual cases, failure should be an option (perhaps with some form of consequence further down the road).
Holding the player’s hand during the investigation is not a bad thing, but it should be mostly optional. If the game is really going as far as described, mostly solving things for you, then where’s the challenge? If most of the hint systems are optional, then at least everyone can play how he/she sees fit. Some people will prefer the hand-holding, some people will want absolute freedom of choice without hints, and some people will want something in the middle. If the hints aren’t optional, you risk alienating most of the fanbase…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I didn’t really think it was an issue. The challenge is working out who did it and why, not in working out what object to use on what other object. That said, having an option for more hardcore adventurers wouldn’t go astray. But I do think it’s a very difficult type of game to get right for EVERYONE and all in all I think they did a pretty stellar job. I enjoyed it at any rate. Smile

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

I don’t mind being railroaded in investigations, as long as the actual deducing/solving gives me some freedom. From what I’ve heard so far, this is the case in C&P, and I’ll pick it up as soon as I’ve cleared out my other recent buys.

I do think that turning off “auto object-use” stuff should be an option, but “use boot on footprint” isn’t really the peak of deductive challenge anyway. Sherlock Holmes games generally shouldn’t focus too much on inventory puzzles, in my opinion.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top