• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

But a review is also meant to serve as a consumer’s guide, no? I don’t think price should be measured each and every time but in extreme cases or when the production’s quality just doesn’t merit the asking price, it should be taken into account. After all, one of the reasons why retro/indie/pixel-art games are getting fair reviews is because they usually ask for much less money than AA titles, I feel.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

maladroid - 19 April 2014 07:20 PM

But a review is also meant to serve as a consumer’s guide, no? I don’t think price should be measured each and every time but in extreme cases or when the production’s quality just doesn’t merit the asking price, it should be taken into account. After all, one of the reasons why retro/indie/pixel-art games are getting fair reviews is because they usually ask for much less money than AA titles, I feel.

yeah i think its okay to mention it when its a really unusual case, but even then it shouldnt influence the review score.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

OrionO - 19 April 2014 04:21 PM

I know that I come to Adventure Gamers to see honest, civil discourse about adventure games new and old.

Hi, OrionO, thanks for the post explaining your views—and belated welcome to the forums, by the way. I would like to let you know about an issue I had with something you said many pages back and why I feel that that comment was one of several things that contributed to the prior tension in the thread, but I will send a PM about it rather than rehash all that here.

OrionO - 19 April 2014 04:21 PM

I would have to give Moebius 1/5 stars, and it has a lot to do with the game’s asking price. I compare the game to what else is being offered for that price. I understand that Jane Jensen had a limited budget and maybe couldn’t afford an expensive, top-flight developer for Moebius, but then the price to gamers should be adjusted accordingly.

From a consumer point of view, sure, if a game doesn’t seem worth X dollars to me, I should either wait for a sale or buy a different game that seems more worth those X dollars. That’s totally fair.

However, I don’t believe that this necessarily means that the developer should adjust the price. Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software has a good post about this. (Actually, all his posts about indie game pricing are worthwhile.)

As for whether price should impact a game’s review score . . . eh, I’ll leave that debate to others. Personally I don’t put too much stock in scores except as a shorthand for communicating people’s impressions, so I don’t have that strong an opinion about it.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

maladroid - 19 April 2014 07:20 PM

But a review is also meant to serve as a consumer’s guide, no?

Not in the sense that it should tell the consumer what to buy. That judgement lies with the consumer, and should be respected by the reviewer.

A good review should be valuable to readers regardless of if they share the reviewer’s feelings for the game or not, because it should provide insightful criticism of the games flaws and merits that can be understood by people on both sides.

It’s then up to the reader to interpret the review and determine if this game has the things that HE likes regardless of what the reviewer likes. He then weighs this against the game’s costs, his own financial means, the game’s value, his free time, etc and then makes the decision to buy or not buy.

It’s not a reviewer’s job to tell someone how “worth buying” a game is, even if his analysis might help someone make that decision on his own.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I think people are taking things so seriously and exaggeratedly because people are emotionally involved in the game doing well because they paid toward the kickstarter.  The same thing happened with Broken Age.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

noknowncure - 19 April 2014 01:27 PM
millenia - 19 April 2014 10:50 AM
noknowncure - 19 April 2014 10:43 AM

There’s an odd defensiveness and an implication that, unless something’s the absolute worst example of a particular issue, it’s not worth mentioning, which is setting the bar very low for the genre.

No one has said that only the absolutely worst thing is worth mentioning, you are (intentionally?) interpreting things wrong. I’d say you have a strange defensiveness in your comments. Basically people have said “it’s not that bad” in response to criticism that made it sound like it was the worst thing in the world.

An overly defensive response again. I’d love to know what you think I’m being defensive about in my considered criticisms of the game.

If you can accuse me of wilfully misconstruing what you’re saying, I’m quite happy to accuse you of not conveying what you mean to say well enough.

I’m sorry, but my response was not “defensive” at all. I am trying to explain to you what you are understanding completely wrong. You described the accents and some other things being so abysmal, like they really were (at least among) the crappiest ones there is, and people responded that with “it really was not that bad - and then you are arguing that we praise anything that isn’t the absolutely worst. I am not offended by your messages or take this any way personally, I just think you really see this wrong.

noknowncure - 19 April 2014 01:27 PM
millenia - 19 April 2014 08:54 AM

Yeah the end puzzles were pretty bland in the final chapter, but not horrible.

Comments like this hardly strike me as setting the bar for the genre. Since when has ‘Pretty bland’ been an acceptable finale?

I want Adventure Games to go from strength to strength, not force myself to tolerate mediocrity and endlessly make excuses on their behalf.

You are again taking this sentence out of context. This was another example what people were saying, not my separate argument that you’d need to counter. Why should it set the bar for the genre? Where are you getting this? People are responding to you, that in they experience the game wasn’t nearly as bad as that, and at the same time agreeing that it did indeed have it’s problems. Then you are talking about like we are praising the game to be somehow especially great (especially in those aspects were it might have been the weakest)? You do understand that there are things between the best and the worst?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

What was this thread about again?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m not completely sure about that. I guess I’d be better off just writing a review. No one in their right mind is going to read this thread to get an impression of the game.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Just read the AGs review. The animation and modeling is no surprise, but you’d think the characters and story would be better considering who’s writing this. Seems like it’s not just POS that should hold their hand up here.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 20 April 2014 03:56 AM

Just read the AGs review. The animation and modeling is no surprise, but you’d think the characters and story would be better considering who’s writing this. Seems like it’s not just POS that should helod their hand up here.

Just checked the review, thanks to your post and rep+1 to Adv Gamers.
I thought it will be super biased review with strings attached but they did
Advgamers versions of that RPS review.

What i found more funny is the rage from fans. The pressure on site must be too much,
the comments there are loaded with same heat that my posts brought up here.

#Dealwithit

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think in the case of these Kickstarter projects some people might have cerain amount of blindess towards the projects they’ve backed, especially if they’ve backed more than the minimum sum, so in that sense I do understand why some people might get upset and lash out to the negative reviews. They might feel loyalty towards the game and try to defend it against what they feel is unfair.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

nomadsoul - 20 April 2014 03:22 PM

Isn’t that enough reason for a “fan rage”? That RPS review is incompetent and biased, written only for cheap laughs. AG “version” is more rational, but it still describes everything in a negative light. And I think I made fair points during my rage.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I know I’m late to the party, but I’ve just finished the game, and so I need to post a few thoughts.

After playing the beta of the first two chapters several months ago, I knew the game would have some rough edges, but I never expected that its downfall would be the writing. And yet, it is. There are some good elements and some bad elements, we can spend hours discussing those atrocious character models or that stupid maze, but at the end of the day, it’s the writing that killed the game for me.

I feel that Jensen never managed to sell the two most important things:

1) The Moebius theory. The whole thing is ridiculous, and the specifics of that particular case are even worse: [spoiler]Senator Whatshisface marrying some woman will instantly lead to 200 years of prosperity for all?!? What?[/spoiler] It could have been possible to sell this, but the execution was lacking, and the game never managed to make the whole thing even remotely convincing (contrary to, say, the no-less-preposterous notion that Ludwig II was a werewolf). I feel that the game really lacked a sceptic. I understand that Jensen didn’t want to go back to the Scully & Mulder dynamic that she’s mined in her previous games, but all the characters instantly buying the theory 3 seconds after being told about it (“Oh, you’ve found Livia Drusilla? Well, I guess I’ll ditch my girlfriend of three years this very minute then!”) robs the game of the chance to convince the player. Ultimately, I could never get invested in the story, because it all felt so daft.

2) Malachi. I get what Jensen was going for: a man with a very abrasive personality, but who’s worth putting up with because he’s genuinely brilliant and a good person at heart. Somebody like House or the BBC’s Holmes. Except that she never managed to make Malachi that man. He’s really not that brilliant (the way he reads people makes him look like a complete hack: “That woman is a librarian, and she’s wearing purple: she must be sexually frustrated!”). And if there’s some humanity deep-down, there’s never any hint of it. He’s just a prick, and not even a terribly amusing one (at first, I liked how he dissed everyone’s choice of furniture, but that got old fast). His connection with David never felt genuine to me; I knew the game wanted me to see that incredible chemistry between those characters, but I never felt that it was actually there.

So yeah, that was a disappointment. Confused

I’m willing to believe that Jensen has more great games in her, but maybe she needs to move on from historical/paranormal thrillers. She’s 20 years older than when she made GK1, and maybe her tastes have shifted to other types of stories. She’s shown time and again that she can do better than this, but here it feels like she just phoned it in. Maybe she should do what she’s interested in (whatever that is), rather than what her fans want.

In any case, I wrote off the GK series many years ago when Sierra fired everyone. But playing Moebius has made me actively hope that we’ll never see a GK4.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Doom - 20 April 2014 03:54 PM
nomadsoul - 20 April 2014 03:22 PM

Isn’t that enough reason for a “fan rage”? That RPS review is incompetent and biased, written only for cheap laughs. AG “version” is more rational, but it still describes everything in a negative light. And I think I made fair points during my rage.

I’ve seen lots of complaints over the RPS review, but I haven’t seen a detailed breakdown of how it’s wrong. In fact, when comparing with other reviews, it seems to cover many of the same issues, and the differences are mainly in subjective reaction. John Walker *really* disliked Malachi and took particular umbrage to some of the parts of the game. You may disagree, but that doesn’t make his reaction invalid. (And I must say it’s hard not to look at the “28% likelihood of rape” screen and not wonder WTF the developers were thinking.)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 April 2014 04:24 PM

2) Malachi. I get what Jensen was going for: a man with a very abrasive personality, but who’s worth putting up with because he’s genuinely brilliant and a good person at heart. Somebody like House or the BBC’s Holmes. Except that she never managed to make Malachi that man. He’s really not that brilliant (the way he reads people makes him look like a complete hack: “That woman is a librarian, and she’s wearing purple: she must be sexually frustrated!”). And if there’s some humanity deep-down, there’s never any hint of it. He’s just a prick, and not even a terribly amusing one (at first, I liked how he dissed everyone’s choice of furniture, but that got old fast). His connection with David never felt genuine to me; I knew the game wanted me to see that incredible chemistry between those characters, but I never felt that it was actually there.

Yeah everything about malachi is completely botched imo. Right now im playing the samaritan paradox, another game where the protagonist is supposed to be super intelligent, and in the first 10 minutes of the game the main character does somthing cooler and more convincing than anything malachi does throughout all of moebius. He looks at a book, sees that the ISBN doesnt look right, connects each number in it to an atomic number in the periodic table, and uses the letters of the elements to make a sentence. Thats the kind of super-memory-power thing i expected from malachi. Instead hes just laughable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top