• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Readers Top 10

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I generally don’t do these because when I come back to them later I disagree with myself.

I’m going to go on the basis of ‘most enjoyable experiences for me personally’. Which just means there are games I think are ‘better’ than these, but not as satisfying.

Not in order:

-Sanitarium
-Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
-Yoomurjak’s Ring
-Myst Exile
-Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
-Space Quest IV
-Secret of Monkey Island
-Star Trek Judgment Rites
-Discworld
-Journeyman Project Buried in Time

Hardest choice: Which Myst to choose. Myst was so significant for the time and for what followed, Riven amazing technically but Exile was bliss all the way through. I can only put that down to my mood that week Tongue Another day Myst or Riven would be on my list instead.

Wish I didn’t have to leave out: Text Adventures, Death Gate, Kyrandia 2, Anacapri, BASS, Zork Nemesis, The Longest Journey, Barrow Hill, RHEM 3, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, and Gabe.

Most surprising thing: That only 4 are first person games. I thought they might dominate the list but I guess it’s only recently I’ve come to prefer them over 3rd person adventures. Also a little disappointing for me that only 2 games are post-2000. That may just be nostalgia at work Content

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 20 December 2012 10:06 AM

I generally don’t do these because when I come back to them later I disagree with myself.

People and opinions change constantly. They’re just time-specific snapshots…
That’s also part of what makes them fun: the “OMG, no!” moments when you look back at them a few years later… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My top ten:

Virtue’s Last Reward
The Last Window
Hotel Dusk
Another Code
Thersia Dear Emily
Dreamfall
Broken Sword - DC
The Longest Journey
Ghost Trick

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Hmm.. Let’s try. I haven’t checked my last one, I think I did give a top10 at some point. The order isn’t really definitive:

1. Discworld Noir
2.-4. Gabriel Knight trilogy
5.-6. The Longest Journey & Dreamfall
7. Day of the Tentacle
8. Gray Matter

Hmh.. I can’t really decide what to put for the last two. I’ve given L.A. Noire 5 stars but I haven’t finished it yet. Then there are Tex Muprhy games and some of these newer almost perfect titles like Blackwell Trilogy (and other Wadjet Eye Games too) Culpa Innata, Fahrenheit and Black Mirror 3. Well, let’s just smash these there then:

9. L.A. Noire
10. Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Just for fun, according to VGchartz - these are the 10 best selling adventure games:

1 Myst PC 1994 Adventure Broderbund

2 Professor Layton and the Curious Village DS 2007 Adventure Nintendo

3 Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box DS 2007 Adventure Nintendo

4 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future DS 2008 Adventure Nintendo

5 L.A. Noire PS3 2011 Adventure Take-Two Interactive

6 Riven: The Sequel to Myst PC 1997 Adventure Red Orb

7 Professor Layton and the Last Specter DS 2009 Adventure Nintendo

8 L.A. Noire X360 2011 Adventure Take-Two Interactive

9 Heavy Rain PS3 2010 Adventure Sony Computer Entertainment

10 Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney DS 2007 Adventure Capcom

The good news is that lots of new adventure games are on the list.

The bad news is that none of these are in my 10 ten.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

1. Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals

2.Riven

3.Police Quest II: The Vengeance

4.Edna & Harvey: The Breakout

5.Overclocked :A History of Violence

6.Blade Runner

7.Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and The Time Rippers

8.Syberia 1!!

9.Black Mirror 2

10.Myst IV: Revelation

Just got a change of opinion

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Great list Advie. SQIV was the best Sierra game ever!

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Riven
Rhem 4
The Walking Dead
Tex Murphy UAKM
Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting
Loom
Portal
Half Life 2
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall

Oops, I’ve broken the genre boundaries, sorry ‘bout that ;-)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 25 July 2013 09:09 PM

Great list Advie. SQIV was the best Sierra game ever!

Thanks Oscar, actually i found out while thinking and putting down those 10 , that i wasn’t evaluating any at all, i was just remembering the good and the best times i had , SQIV as a whole was the most original idea Sierra gave and its still one of a kind .

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

1.Lost Horizon
2.Black Mirror series
3.Grey Matter
4.The Lost Crown: A Ghost Hunting Adventure
5.The Walking Dead
6.L.A Noire
7.Secret Files series
8.Siberia series
9.The Longest Journey series
10.The Mystery of the Druids*

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
Goblins 3
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Shadow of the Comet
The Neverhood
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

In no particular order (and only 1 title per series):

- 428 ~ Fuusa Sareta Shibuya De
- Kamaitachi no Yoru
- Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
- Grim Fandango
- Discworld Noir
- The Curse of Monkey Island
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215
- Ghost Trick
- Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations

Hm, it’s definitely a skewed list with most of the older games coming from the West and newer games from Japan.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

1. Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers:
To me, this is the funniest adventure game ever produced. It is full of amazing little touches in the dialogue and visual gags, and Garry Owens nails it as the narrator. The story is surprisingly epic, and a bit dark for the series. The puzzle are nicely designed for the most part, but there are a couple of very frustrating arcade sequences which almost held it back from the #1. 

2. Planescape: Torment:
Ok, so some will say that this is not an adventure game, and is more of an RPG, but the lines between the two genres are quite blurry for the most part. The game puts every heavy focus on story, narrative, character interaction, and even puzzle solving. To me, it is like playing an adventure game that was built in an RPG engine. It has a very stark and strange world to explore, and the story is probably one of the best, if not the best, ever told in a computer game, and the characters are all unique and memorable.

3. The Curse of Monkey Island:
It is not by the same people as the first two games, but in my opinion, the creators perfectly captured the feel and humor of this games predecessors. The game is very funny, and maybe the second funniest adventure game after Space Quest 4. The art in this game is gorgeous, and still holds up well in 2014. Actually, I think that this game still looks better than most of the adventure games that are being produced today. It is also the debut of Dominic Armato as the voice of Guybrush, who just nails it.

4. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
The best, and maybe only good, Indiana Jones game. It really gets the feel and pacing of a good Indiana Jones movie, and is more of a worthy successor to the 80s trilogy than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

5. King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow:
This just nudges out the fifth game for me, as the best in the King’s Quest series. One of the cool things about is that it has lots cool and strange locations to visit, and interesting characters. The puzzles are nice, and the voice acting is quite good for the most part. Also, the graphics are gorgeous.

6. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
A cool game with a very interesting conspiracy story that introduces George and Nico, two of the best and most memorable of adventure game protagonists. The graphics are very nice nice, and the puzzles are all logical and follow from the story. The other Broken Sword games are good for the most part, but I still like this one the best.

7. The Walking Dead
Some will say it is more of an interactive movie, but I don’t care. It has great character interacting, choice consequences, and a well told story.

8. Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulaon
Great atmosphere through its amazing visuals and sound. The puzzles are nice, and the game is fairly non-linear. The music is truely amazing, and is my favorite adventure game soundtrack. As a negative, the game is quite short.

9. Beneath a Steel Sky
Cool art and sort of cyberpunk setting.

10. The Dig
A highly underrated Lucas Arts classic. It has an interesting story that will make you think, amazing graphics and animation, nice voice acting, and challenging puzzles.

Honorable Mentions in no particular order:
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart go Yonder
Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: Lechuck’s Revenge

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

This is an impossible task, which one does anyway from time to time.  Wink

Best games
Grim Fandango
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Sanitarium
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Best game franchises