• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obscure adventure game discussion thread

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Trickless - 27 December 2012 07:46 PM

Famicom Tantei Detective Part 2 doesn’t get enough mention. It’s a brilliant Japanese murder mystery for the Super Famicom* (SNES), and there’s an English fan translation patch for it as well.

That looks interesting. Since I recently have been looking for Japanese adventures, this looks rather good. And really good site you have!  Smile

Still waiting to try RPG/Adventure Moon: Remix RPG Adventure (or UFO: A Day in the Life ) from famous Love-de-Lic, but translation seems to be nowhere.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

btw I got the names mixed up, which I’ve amended in the original post Tongue. (The game is called ‘Famicom Detective Club’ - it’s also known as ‘Famicom Tantei Club’, hence the mix up).

gboukensha - 28 December 2012 02:59 AM

I was kind of waiting a reply from Trickless on this Wink Actually I read somewhere that TTB comes in Adventure and Action modes (something like that), but I totally missed the choice in the PC98 version. Are they possibly referring to the DS release?

lol I have a habit of making an appearance whenever some obscure Japanese game is mentioned Crazy

Yeah there is an ‘Adventure’ and ‘Real Time’ mode in Tokyo Twilight Busters. You switch between the 2 different modes as the story goes on.

Adventure mode is a menu driven segment, and basically just go round Tokyo talking to various characters to trigger events. Real-Time mode switches to a 3rd person point and click interface, and usually involves trying to progress through an area within a time limit - theres a lot to take into consideration such as management of time, items and health.

I noticed some minor tweaks and additions were made for the DS version, but I think it’s largely the same as the original.

Drolin - 28 December 2012 03:27 AM

That looks interesting. Since I recently have been looking for Japanese adventures, this looks rather good. And really good site you have!  Smile

Thanks! Hopefully my site will help you find a game you like.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-02-21

PM

Drolin - 28 December 2012 03:27 AM

Still waiting to try RPG/Adventure Moon: Remix RPG Adventure (or UFO: A Day in the Life ) from famous Love-de-Lic, but translation seems to be nowhere.

I made a failed topic here promoting it and obsess about them generally.

If I wasn’t clear on the internet, L.O.L.: Lack Of Love has 1 line of text and controller layout labels and U.F.O.: A Day In The Life have introductory, congratulatory, and “backstory” text for the characters after you beat the game.  You can play both right now and miss NOTHING, and then auto-translate 1 of the sites out there for the post-game “lore” on the latter.

And Moon: Remix R.P.G. Adventure’s fan translation is getting edited.  They thought it would be done 3 months ago, but it’s still basically done.  Now, tweet #moon2 if you REALLY want to engage.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

GhaleonQ - 30 December 2012 05:10 PM

I made a failed topic here promoting it and obsess about them generally.

If I wasn’t clear on the internet, L.O.L.: Lack Of Love has 1 line of text and controller layout labels and U.F.O.: A Day In The Life have introductory, congratulatory, and “backstory” text for the characters after you beat the game.  You can play both right now and miss NOTHING, and then auto-translate 1 of the sites out there for the post-game “lore” on the latter.

And Moon: Remix R.P.G. Adventure’s fan translation is getting edited.  They thought it would be done 3 months ago, but it’s still basically done.  Now, tweet #moon2 if you REALLY want to engage.

Wow, thats some really good new you have! Smile The translation for the Moon will be coming next year? Already have UFO, I am eager to try it today. So, it means that there is a possibility of sequel to Moon? Great!

And thanks. Your post (with hc101) on neogaf is the main reason, why I am generally interested in Love-de-Lic.

I tried recently another quite obscure adventure, and its Psycho Killer. I must say, its one of the worst FMVs I played. Its basically a 10 minutes short story with two non-actors.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2010-12-03

PM

Does anyone remember Sentient for the PS1? It was a weird, first-person adventure game which a strange patch-worky sentence dialogue system and supposed to take place in real time. I never really played it much, but I remember being intrigued by it for a long time.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

The only thing I can think of is Ark of Time which I thought was pretty good but is nigh impossible to track down these days.

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This guy has recently played Missing on Lost Island. Some hillarious comments, the game seems to be quirky but likeable. I’m not watching it though, always wanted to try it. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

It’s a terrible game. IMO. Can’t think of a single good thing to say about it. Perhaps the confusing intro that has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Party pooper. Pan

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I didn’t like Missing on Lost Island much either. Sorry diego ! Content

Has anyone played the old Wayne’s World game? I’m not really a fan of the movies but the game could be fun.

Time Paradox looks interesting as well (because it has dinos not scantily clad women, obviously Wink)

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Zifnab, I have Time Paradox but it refuses to install and play properly on my win98 machine.

diego - 07 January 2013 06:13 PM

Party pooper. Pan

Sorry, didn’t mean to poop all over your party. It was meant as a warning.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-08-22

PM

I came across a game a bit ago that I think will grab some people’s interest here. It was made by a single guy 2 years ago and was an attempt to have retro pixel art style in a fully 3d environment. The result is:

(trailer)

I actually haven’t played through the full game, but in a lot of ways, it reminded me of a classic DOS First person adventure game. You could tell the guy was trying to create something special, the person was trying something unique even if it wasn’t a full success, it’s got classic adventure game controls (look, pick up, use, use item, etc); and of course the pièce de résistance of any classic adventure game, the “what the heck am I supposed to be doing now?” recurring line of thought.

If you want to try it out (warning, Windows 7 and above only), you can buy it from the guy for $1 here: http://oddville.yolasite.com/

Disclosure: I’m one of his original Kickstarter backers that contributed to the $877 total he raised to finish this game.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Following thejobloshow’s suggestion, let me resurrect this thread to add a new game to the list of obscure game: Eternam.

The story is fun and quirky, you play an officer who’s on vacation in the planet eternam which is a theme park with island representing a different period of human history. Of course the vacation doesn’t go as expected (or there wouldn’t be a game Smile) and your archenemy has taken over the planet. 

Unfortunately, the UI isn’t great and there’s a bit of action with a really bad first person shooter between cities but it’s manageable. It’s not a great game by any mean but I do think it’s still worth playing for the story.

Image Attachments

5951-eternam-dos-screenshot-a-revolution-is-brewing-2.gif
eternam_04.jpg

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

glom, you didn’t mention the title of the game! (Or did I miss it?)

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

You’re right Chrissie, I’ve just added the title. Now your turn to add an obscure game to the thread. Based on your quizz you know a few of them Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top