• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Carles

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 6 December 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I guess when people think of Christy Marx’s masterpiece Conquests of the Longbow(*), they mostly remember the magic that permeates its story, graphics and musical score, because that sets it apart from other Robin Hood stories and gives it its unique personality. Nevertheless, the joy of putting on crazy disguises and hoodwinking the Sheriff of Nottingham never gets old!

(*) For those who do think about it. This gem of a game tends to be unfairly neglected among the Sierra catalogue.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 December 2012 12:11 PM

(*) For those who do think about it. This gem of a game tends to be unfairly neglected among the Sierra catalog.

True ! i finished Conquest of Camelot , with no Idea of this (first) game in the Conquests series .

i remember having hard times with The Legend of Robin Hood language Used which was entirely based on British English .

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I never got to play this game. It seems like one of the overlooked gems of the Sierra catalog.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I don’t think I ever finished any of these, but I should have them somewhere. Though atm I got waaaay too many games to finish before I’ll consider replaying the conquests Smile I didn’t remember them looking this good though.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I have started Longbow many times but never finished it. I remember it being incredibly open, so I ended up just wandering without getting much done. Kurufinwe’s praise makes me think it’s time for another go very soon.

On a side note: Is this the highest rated Sierra game? It got 4.5 stars.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Zifnab - 06 December 2012 02:39 PM

That page should answer your question. Tongue There were also several Sierra 4.5’s: Pepper’s Adventures in Time, Police Quest 2, King’s Quest VI and Gabriel Knight II. So Longbow is in good company.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 December 2012 02:52 PM

ht II. So Longbow is in good company.

and comes from a Great company that all its games should be rated between 4-5, not even 3.5 !!.
aahh i am so serious i guess Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 06 December 2012 03:06 PM
Kurufinwe - 06 December 2012 02:52 PM

ht II. So Longbow is in good company.

and comes from a Great company that all its games should be rated between 4-5, not even 3.5 !!.
aahh i am so serious i guess Smile

If SQ6 can get 4/5 then any game can. Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel would be a masterpiece.

I’ve heard KQ8 was also terrible.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i love SQ6 or you even forget about me Oscar it is not fair by any chance to get 2/5, yea the game start from a high peek and goes from disappointing to more disappointing ,ends terribly ,but it still had it’s great moments,laughs(i guess that alone for Gary Owen’s narration that should give SQ6 at least one more star) and nice puzzles all the same.

talking about Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel ?
come on i knew you always more fair than that at least not to suggest such a comparison Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I enjoyed a large part of the Sierra titles, but KQ8 represents everying that was about to go wrong with the genre as a whole (plz don’t kill me for saying this Advie! Tongue ) I would rate most of Sierras adventures highly, but KQ8 does NOT deserve a score above 4 stars! KQ8 should go mate with Simon 3D, just to see what hatches Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Dag - 06 December 2012 03:53 PM

KQ8 should go mate with Simon 3D, just to see what hatches Tongue

Pure evil!  Foot in mouth

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Great game. I got interested when I noticed there had been a community playthrough and read that the game was available for free at the author’s site. I decided to give it a try and didn’t regret it. The atmosphere, the old English (well, probably oldish), the music and the many choices to be made with different consequences. Not easy to find the best, most rewarding ending. 

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15735&highlight=community+playthrough

http://www.christymarx.com/writing/longbowfiles.htm

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Fien - 06 December 2012 06:11 PM

Great game. I got interested when I noticed there had been a community playthrough and read that the game was available for free at the author’s site. I decided to give it a try and didn’t regret it. The atmosphere, the old English (well, probably oldish), the music and the many choices to be made with different consequences. Not easy to find the best, most rewarding ending. 

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15735&highlight=community+playthrough

http://www.christymarx.com/writing/longbowfiles.htm

Thanks, Fien!  Thumbs Up

I used to have a copy of this game back in the day but never got around to playing it further than the very beginning. Now I took a look at the manual from replacementdocs and I’m itching to give it another shot, not the least because of the impressive two-page bibliography at the end of it.

Total Posts: 2983

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 06 December 2012 04:15 PM
Dag - 06 December 2012 03:53 PM

KQ8 should go mate with Simon 3D, just to see what hatches Tongue

Pure evil!  Foot in mouth

Grin Grin Grin

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 06 December 2012 03:40 PM

i love SQ6 or you even forget about me Oscar it is not fair by any chance to get 2/5, yea the game start from a high peek and goes from disappointing to more disappointing ,ends terribly ,but it still had it’s great moments,laughs(i guess that alone for Gary Owen’s narration that should give SQ6 at least one more star) and nice puzzles all the same.

talking about Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel ?
come on i knew you always more fair than that at least not to suggest such a comparison Smile

I’ve only played the start of SQ6 - if you think that’s the highest peak of the game then I hate to think what the rest of it is like. And this is from a big SQ 1-5 fan. Gary Owens is great but isn’t enough to save a trainwreck.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top