• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veoviszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia III

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

geez disappointing to read these responses.  i for whatever reason missed out entirely on the syberia series, and now i guess it seems they will remain unknown to me forever since this appears to be a failure….

whats strange to me though is like, if this game is an overly hyped turd, why is it being promoted in the background img of this site? lol?  like… i cant recall ever seeing a promotional ad type thing in the background for ag.com but here it is!  lol?

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just finished replaying Syberia 3 and, aparently, Microids patched the game that makes it more playable. I completely agree with the Just Adventure review. Great to see Kate is still the wonderful woman (she’s not the fragile NY girl anymore), taking care of the most needed, beying angry and fighting the bad guys and managing the puzzles as no McGayver could ever do. It is a good game, as I was expecting. Could be top notch if they kept the 2D design and not using a controler.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-05-02

PM

One word

Unity…

Thank you nomadsoul - exactly my sentiment.

Just because you now can easily do Realtime 3D doesn’t always mean that you should.

Here’s the problem with Realtime 3D - because of the added freedom of movement for the player, you have to produce a lot of content for an R3D game. A lot. And good looking stuff too.
But because the game has to be finished and put on the market at some point, and the fact that the market for adventure games has shrunk a lot in the last couple of decades, the game designers have to cut back on the quality of the game. The quality of the graphics, the sound track, the writing - everything.

Where Syberia (1) was a gorgeous 2.5D game, with beautifully rendered backdrops, great looking 3D characters, superb sound tracks and great writing - the most recent sequel is not.

Because of R3D engines like Unity, because of the fact the Realtime 3D engines are free to get, and 2.5D engines like Wintermute have gone away because of that.

You can’t really fault the game developers. The market has changed. FPS games are now much more popular than adventure games like Syberia (or Monkey Island for that matter).

Another reason why I prefer 2.5D games versus R3D is the birds-eye perspective in 2.5D. I don’t need or even like for most parts the 1st person perspective (or semi 3rd person as in Syberia 3) to immerse myself into the game.

Anyway - enough ranting. Realtime 3D is - for me at least - the end of good adventure games.

My 2 cents.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

UruBoo - 02 May 2017 07:13 PM

I just finished replaying Syberia 3

wow, replaying and in this very short time between means you did really enjoy it!?

i just started it, and my feeling about how there is something wrong with it was set on how was the gameplaying mechanism directed to too many consoles (plus PC) all at the same time, playing with keyboard n mouse and the common direct control approaches isn’t the issue here but how the developers went too far with it so idea of sitting back relaxed (this why we ve played the genre at the 1st place.. right?) is lost.

i think i warned about this once playing Pendulo’s Yesterday Origins, and it seems as i expected the problem wasn’t with Pendulo’s Studio but with Microids approach and interference.

if one gave a fast look to Microids past whether far or near can see a bunch of unworthy adventures such N.Emrich, ABC Murders or Subject 13, that all one can say about that they aren’t up to the beloved gems; Syberia1&2 or Still Life1 also with a little memory refreshing one can see how Microids has a tendency for experimenting with their winning formula to a ruin extend, like what had happened to Still Life2..
as if they do not have an idea of know how they must learn from their mistakes or mayhap ..they don’t see how they had fucked up.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

UruBoo - 02 May 2017 07:13 PM

I completely agree with the Just Adventure review.

I don’t think a B+ from JustAdventure is particularly high praise considering the same reviewer gave the awful Bayou Island a B-.

The average review score for the game is now at 55% which seems about right.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

DrGonzo62 - 02 May 2017 08:06 PM

One word

Unity…

Thank you nomadsoul - exactly my sentiment.

Just because you now can easily do Realtime 3D doesn’t always mean that you should.

Sokal and Microids strategy to cashin TR and Uncharted fans with 3D Meh
Well i know RE is hot brand but Resident Evil Remake is now at 1.9million sold
And recent RE0 remaster at 1.5million
There is retention + new

So if PS4 and PC players are not having issues with that game and still selling in current age
I think Sokal when started developing never factored this reality
And fell for 3D = modern = win, trap

with all doom and gloom lets see if Syb3 numbers will hit million in a year
I think many play the game on name
But critically it has failed
Where again even in ratings REmake pre rendered backgrounds never got the score down

Moreover with new tech , they could have made amazing pre rendered backgrounds

And if Unity is cheap then why 8Million euros
I mean Heavyrain was 27 million

And its not like Syb3 marketing is top quality

Gamespot

And that’s the overall feeling with Syberia 3. Slivers of enjoyment and potential are found within a disconnected and underwhelming journey. The characters, their interactions, the way they speak, and the reason they even exist all mash into a puzzle-adventure game devoid of significance or impact. The Syberia series deserved a better return, otherwise, it should’ve been left in the past.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/syberia-3-review/1900-6416671/

That last line is something everyone felt

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I have now finished the game and must say Syberia 3 is probably the best badly designed game I’ve ever played. I liked the story, apart from the portrayal of the nomad people, and I liked the atmosphere and overall art direction, at least in the second half of the game. Most of the puzzles were interesting and fun too, with some really bad exceptions (yeah, ice breaking machine, I’m particularly looking at you!). The rest of the game elements almost seem to be there with the sole purpose to suck the enjoyment out of playing the game. But they didn’t quite succeed. Hope for a fourth game where the developers have learnt from their mistakes when putting together this one. And will probably replay this one if/when it has been patched up to be the best it can be.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

syn - 02 May 2017 04:07 PM

whats strange to me though is like, if this game is an overly hyped turd, why is it being promoted in the background img of this site? lol?  like… i cant recall ever seeing a promotional ad type thing in the background for ag.com but here it is!  lol?

I don’t even know what you’re trying to ask here. The promo is there because the publisher bought the ad space for it. It’s happened before, and it’s not us promoting the game, but Microids.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Veovis - 03 May 2017 04:42 AM

I have now finished the game and must say Syberia 3 is probably the best badly designed game I’ve ever played. I liked the story, apart from the portrayal of the nomad people, and I liked the atmosphere and overall art direction, at least in the second half of the game. Most of the puzzles were interesting and fun too, with some really bad exceptions (yeah, ice breaking machine, I’m particularly looking at you!). The rest of the game elements almost seem to be there with the sole purpose to suck the enjoyment out of playing the game. But they didn’t quite succeed. Hope for a fourth game where the developers have learnt from their mistakes when putting together this one. And will probably replay this one if/when it has been patched up to be the best it can be.

You only get to use nostalgia and hype to sucker people in to get bigger sales at launch once.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

123pazu - 03 May 2017 03:12 PM
Oscar - 02 May 2017 10:38 AM

Even in 2D or with better programmers it wouldn’t have been a much better game. A little better, perhaps, but there were bigger problems than the graphics and tech issues.

I agree with chrissie that it was an unnecessary sequel. In fact, it was barely a sequel at all. Nothing got resolved or moved forward with Kate’s situation. Poor Oscar was dragged out of the grave for a pathetic return. It could (and should) easily have been a standalone adventure, but Sokal decided to be lazy. And possibly greedy. We all know how much the brand name influences sales.

Pan SPOILER Pan
how dare you, lol…  I’ve not reached that point in the game, even though I did have a hunch that he will be resurrected at some point because Kate is wearing his heart memento…

You’ll get over it. Like nomadsoul said, Microids showed him walking about in the trailer. And even if they hadn’t, anyone could see it coming a mile away as soon as soon as the automatons in Baranour were mentioned.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sadly, this game is off my must play list. I will consider buying a used copy a few years from now.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Mikekelly - 06 May 2017 05:45 PM

Sadly, this game is off my must play list. I will consider buying a used copy a few years from now.

Heart

Same here. Some more negative reviews from the last few days:

GameOver.gr
Even if you disregard the substandard graphics, the glitches, the stuttering, the poor performance and the terrible controlling through a “modernized” disastrous movement system, it is difficult to disregard that the plot carries no substance at all, with no connection to the past, no goal real pushing you forward and no ending. Syberia ended 13 years ago and this new sequel, while it carries some moments of magic, is too poorly executed to stand next to the large name it carries.

Wccftech
At the end of the day, playing Syberia 3 is an exercise in patience that’s hardly worth the effort. With bad writing, immersion killing issues such as bad English voice acting, unresponsive controls and general lack of polish, there’s almost no reason for adventure games fans to pick up Syberia 3. Puzzles are the only saving grace of a game that definitely required more time in the oven.

GamingTrend
Syberia was a series built around amazing puzzles and unique storytelling. Syberia 3 was an opportunity to bring all of that to a new generation. Unfortunately, it has remained mired in the pixel-hunting past, riddled with bugs, obtuse controls, and an uninspired storyline coupled with head-scratching voice work. I wanted to enjoy Syberia 3, but too many issues may leave this series stuck in the frozen snow.

COGconnected
Syberia 3 feels unfinished. It is buggy and rough in almost every way. It fails to be immersive in spite of some honestly impressive world building simply because it offers too many distractions. All of this is extremely disappointing, because I really want to play more of it but I can’t force myself to finish it in its current state.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Where do most people think it all went wrong?

Can the blame be solely levelled at Sokal, or was it the move from the excellent 2D of S1 and S2 to the (poorly implemented) 3D of S3?

Whose decision was it to go 3D? Did those financing the game insist on it?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Irongiant909 - 07 May 2017 12:08 PM

Sokal not understanding why the first two games were popular.

Can the blame be solely levelled at Sokal, or was it the move from the excellent 2D of S1 and S2 to the (poorly implemented) 3D of S3?

Sokal had long insisted any Syberia 3 game had to be made for console—claimed it wasn’t “commerically viable” to make a 3rd Syberia game with the graphics he wanted unless it was also made for console. He stated this in various interviews over the years.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Irongiant909 - 07 May 2017 12:08 PM

The 3D is bad, but the final nail in the coffin was the mediocre writing and poor voice acting (which I heard is better in French). Sokal wrote the thing, so needs to take some of the blame.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top