• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 5 November 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I almost forgot about the AGSD today, so here’s a random screenshot from Simon the Sorcerer 3D.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

LOL haven’t played it, but seems to be one of the most hated adventure games of all time. That screenshot alone tells me why.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It was buggy, crashy and ugly.

But what I’ve played of it (before I came to a game-breaking bug - at the very beginning of *gasp* Chapter 2) wasn’t actually all that bad. Story and humour were on par with the first games. Even the few timed puzzles didn’t bother me.

But yes, it looked horrible, and it was broken, so it was hated… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

During the ‘QUICK, WE MUST MAKE EVERYTHING IN UGLY 3D!’ era that came about just as 2D games were looking their best. I think the problem is they only had a budget for a mid-tier game and they were aiming for triple A status.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The problem was mostly that the development had to switch from 2D to 3D because of a lack of publisher interest, and that as a result the development took far too long (which meant it was already severely outdated at the time of release).
Plus it was rushed and wasn’t tested nearly enough.

If the sudden decline of 2D adventures and the sudden rise of 3D games hadn’t happened (thus if the game had stayed 2D as intended), it would have been significantly better…
Development was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

Why, oh why did you have to pick this game for today of all days? Do you hate me that much??? Cry Wink The gameplay and sheer butt-ugliness of the graphics nearly made me want to fling the CD out the window, but I was somehow determined enough to finish the game. One of the verkakte mini-games didn’t run properly so I needed to use a savegame to bypass it. Blecch! Sick

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe Now Gamespot can easily sew Adventure Gamers Tongue lol,

does anyone remember who had his Signature (for years) Give Simon 3d a 2nd chance or something similar?

i really hated that game without playing and even trying to, it because of all those negitave Comments (not just now i mean while forever)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 05 November 2012 05:20 PM

does anyone remember who had his Signature (for years) Give Simon 3d a 2nd chance or something similar?

“Give Simon 3D a chance!” by Arial Type

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The release of Simon the Sorcerer 3D was what made me the angry and bitter man, I am today.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

It is funny that the same blocky models that were used in GF had style and fited right into the game, they look awful in Simon 3D. Even Escape from MI’s models looked better than that!! I guess that the models details (like the face for example) and the general tone of the game (add the backround differences to the list) are the ones to blame for…
For the record, my relationship with Simon 3D is also hate at first sight (like most people), and resulted in never playing any Simon game after the 2nd.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 05 November 2012 05:50 PM
Advie - 05 November 2012 05:20 PM

“Give Simon 3D a chance!” by Arial Type

Uhhh ..its been a while since he had showed up

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Haven’t played it but I don’t think Simon 2 was that great anyway, except for the graphics. Seems to be one of those series which never lives up to the original.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I remember buying it from Game years ago, looking at the screenshots on the back of the box and thinking it looked alright. Of course, once I loaded the game up… Tongue I also remember having to update my RAM for this game because of how stuttery it was.

The only thing I like about this game is the music. Smile

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Oscar - 06 November 2012 07:56 AM

Haven’t played it but I don’t think Simon 2 was that great anyway, except for the graphics. Seems to be one of those series which never lives up to the original.

I don’t agree at all. Simon the Sorcerer 2 is one of my all-time favorite adventures. Top 10 material for sure.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 06 November 2012 12:38 PM
Oscar - 06 November 2012 07:56 AM

I don’t agree at all. Simon the Sorcerer 2 is one of my all-time favorite adventures. Top 10 material for sure.

Same here, Simon 2 is one of my all time favorites and is a game I tend ro replay once a year. Whenever I try replaying the Simon 1, I usually get annoyed by his slow walk combined with the number of screens (many of which are entirely empty) that you have to traverse to get from a to b. Both are great games, but the second definitely strikes me as a considerable upgrade.

I’ve never played Simon 3D, and the screenshot on the top here was a pretty good reminder as to why. Anyone who knows me, know how I feel about the incorporation of 3D graphics to the adventure game genre, and Simon 3D must be the best example of why this was a bad idea in the first place.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

STS1 was a lot funnier, wasn’t it? They changed the voices in 2 which I didn’t like, the game didn’t seem as ‘fresh’. But I do agree with the walking around - there was a lot of it and made it easy to get lost. The music was so good that I didn’t mind. But I liked 2 as well, if a little less.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top