• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing Legend Entertainment library

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m the Temple of the Virgins part now

The door bells was pretty funny

And if you save it just asks if you are a lawyer Grin

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished Eric the Unready and I can see why it’s so well regarded and possibly a classic.

- The player is Eric (that is very similar to Roger Wilco), an unlucky low rank knight that in a middle of a conspiracy has to step up and save the princess.
- It’s divided in chapters and it’s linear with no dead-ends. There is a timer for each chapter but the game is generous to the player. Each action only takes a minute, so lots of experimentation is possible with no need for restoring.
- Puzzles of average difficulty and enjoyable, easier than Spellcasting or Timequest, I would say same level as Gateway. Possible to get stuck but most solutions are straightforward (except for 2 puzzles in the Temple of the Gods…)
- Very solid comedy, better than Spellcasting for me, I was constantly smiling through out the game with some big laughs here and there, tons of pop culture references and 4th wall breaking. Dialogue tree finally but mostly for absurdist jokes, they don’t really advance the story. Also reminded me of some Monty Python sometimes.
- Art is not very good, characters have some weird faces most of the time and not very well drawn. Funny that the game acknowledges that and makes actually fun of itself sometimes. Music can get a bit annoying.

It’s simpler than the previous games but it was very enjoyable ride, very recommended. Too bad there was no sequel for this one.

Back to scifi now (Gateway 2).

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Rats! I’d planned to play along with you, but I’m lagging behind again. No time for games this weekend and you’re already starting Gateway 2.

I agree with your review. It’s a fun, easy game. Had forgotten lots of stuff from the first time I played it. I hate that kind of midi music, so I turned it off right at the start, which doesn’t affect the other sounds.

I just might replay the first part of Gateway 2… I have such good memories of the walkie-talkie sequence. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

wilco - 26 September 2015 07:38 AM

- It’s divided in chapters and it’s linear with no dead-ends.

I recall vaguely that it’s possible to miss fixing the getaway duck-thingy which leads to a bad ending since you can’t escape the temple in the end. Am I mis-remembering or is that self-contained in a chapter?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 26 September 2015 09:55 AM
wilco - 26 September 2015 07:38 AM

- It’s divided in chapters and it’s linear with no dead-ends.

I recall vaguely that it’s possible to miss fixing the getaway duck-thingy which leads to a bad ending since you can’t escape the temple in the end. Am I mis-remembering or is that self-contained in a chapter?

I don’t think it’s possible to miss it. To call the escaping duck you use the whistle that the princess has and I think she always has it. I closest I could see to a dead-end is that at the beginning of the last chapter you have to grab the bomb that you need at end, if you don’t get at the point you need to restart the chapter since you can’t backtrack. But that it’s not really a big deal at all since it’s obvious you need it.

@Karlok

No Gateway for me this weekend, will only be starting it next week Neutral

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 26 September 2015 09:35 AM

I just might replay the first part of Gateway 2… I have such good memories of the walkie-talkie sequence. Smile

Started Gateway 2 and played through that first part, it’s really good. Starts with the player just hanging around the apartment and suddenly there is a massive manhunt until the space launch. Obviously some deaths but not that hard and there’s a sense of urgency in every action. Hearing all the terrorist conversations in the radios also added up to the constant fear. Game it’s starts in a very high note!

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

I remember having fun with Eric the Unready.
Kind of.. stops having puzzles after a while, though. (At least according to my memory)

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 02 October 2015 01:22 PM
Karlok - 26 September 2015 09:35 AM

Started Gateway 2 and played through that first part, it’s really good. Starts with the player just hanging around the apartment and suddenly there is a massive manhunt until the space launch. Obviously some deaths but not that hard and there’s a sense of urgency in every action. Hearing all the terrorist conversations in the radios also added up to the constant fear. Game it’s starts in a very high note!

Yes, that sense of urgency and hearing the terrorists is what makes this part of the game so good. I replayed it, like I said I would, and the moment they discover you’re listening in on them sent shivers up my spine again.

BTW, did you do any of the 152 (!) fun things recommended for Eric the Unready in the manual?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 03 October 2015 04:39 AM

BTW, did you do any of the 152 (!) fun things recommended for Eric the Unready in the manual?

Didn’t went back to the game to do them, but reading through them now I see I did a lot of them like listen to all bard jokes, eating the beans, reading fine prints, ringing all bells, etc. since the game rewards experimenting all kinds of stuff. (but I did not try to kiss Scotty, mmm Smile )

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished Gateway 2 - Homeworld for the last of the text adventures and that was really ending on a very high note, I think the game strikes the perfect balance.

The story follows the same character and events after the first game. It’s a pretty big and satisfying game. All the stuff from the first game concerning the Gateway ahd the Heechee is explained and with room for meeting other interesting species like the Kord people. Too bad we’ll never get Gateway 3, it’s easy to see where would it go.

It’s also interesting that Mass Effect has a lot the Pohl’s Gateway influences and similarities in the story.

Very good puzzles, harder than Eric and more fun than the first Gateway and not frustrating at all. It has some timed sequences but they are extremely well designed and just add to the tension. The whole pacing is very good with lots of exploring scenes alternating with these faster bits. One minute your running from terrorists, next exploring a lost spaceship, next learning the patterns of a completely different species, next being part of a conspiracy in a futuristic city. All pretty epic!

Only negative things is that music continues to be unmemorable and the weird dialogues. I don’t get why our character has to give so many zany answers. It fitted Eric the Unready but here it just feels strange to insult alien species…

In the end this might have been my favorite of the text adventures. Ranking would go something like:

Gateway 2 - Timequest - Gateway - Eric - S101 - S201 - S301

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, started Companions of Xanth, don’t know anything about it, anyone played it? Does the choice of the companion has much influence in the game?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

wilco - 15 October 2015 07:47 PM

Does the choice of the companion has much influence in the game?

I’m unsure how much of this would be considered a spoiler, though it’s not too detailed. So
When I chose the “wrong” one at the beginning, I failed the first challenge and the game made me choose again. I think the same would happen with the other “wrong” ones.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

crabapple - 15 October 2015 08:46 PM
wilco - 15 October 2015 07:47 PM

Does the choice of the companion has much influence in the game?

I’m unsure how much of this would be considered a spoiler, though it’s not too detailed. So
When I chose the “wrong” one at the beginning, I failed the first challenge and the game made me choose again. I think the same would happen with the other “wrong” ones.

That was disappointing, seems I was just lucky and just picked the right companion from the start. Tried going back and none of the others lets you leave the first room.

Game uses FMV, was not expecting that.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Despite having played the game 3-4 times, I never figured out how you’re supposed to know which companion is the right one. Is it in the manual or something?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 16 October 2015 01:38 PM

Despite having played the game 3-4 times, I never figured out how you’re supposed to know which companion is the right one. Is it in the manual or something?

I’ve looked and no nothing there but the Naga woman is in the cover of the game so that is a clue. (But I think I picked her first because she’s the one with the more interesting description from the little guy).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top