• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #35: Syberia 2

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 02 September 2015 04:56 PM

And then there is Igor! It seems to me that there was a lot of “padding” added to this sequence. Why couldn’t Kate inspect the snowmobile when she first saw it? That way she could have silenced the totem and eliminated the need for a bundle of useless conversation.

Actually Tim you can.
Got off the train, went over to the snow-mobile, examined it (edited to ad that you actually examine the hold-all at the back), took the cloth, went over to the totem, stuffed said towel in the mouth and silence ensued.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Safely within the village - and clothed!

If my name was Wile E Coyote I know exactly how this would end up!

You WILL be a Community Play-Through Leader.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 03 September 2015 09:13 AM

Actually Tim you can. Got off the train, went over to the snow-mobile, examined it (edited to ad that you actually examine the hold-all at the back), took the cloth, went over to the totem, stuffed said towel in the mouth and silence ensued.

Hmm! I think I did exactly that, but didn’t get a “look” hotspot. I would ask if you were able to eliminate much of the conversation with Igor, but how would you know if you didn’t play it both ways?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 03 September 2015 01:27 PM

[Hmm! I think I did exactly that, but didn’t get a “look” hotspot. I would ask if you were able to eliminate much of the conversation with Igor, but how would you know if you didn’t play it both ways?

Although all the dialogue headings were in Kate’s notebook all you had to do was talk about the spirits and Igor would then leave.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have arrived at the scene in the photo. Yes, it does look like a little fan service - but hey, underneath that heavy parka is a stunningly beautiful woman.

To me - I think the next part of our journey will be the most interesting yet, as they say, the plot thickens….......

Smile

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

@Jabod -

This, then seems similar to the scene at the monastery where you talk to the Patriarch one last time by the elevator. It’s an interesting, but unnecessary scene. It can be skipped entirely without hindering your ability to finish the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 04 September 2015 09:49 AM

@Jabod -

This, then seems similar to the scene at the monastery where you talk to the Patriarch one last time by the elevator. It’s an interesting, but unnecessary scene. It can be skipped entirely without hindering your ability to finish the game.

Whilst perfectly true Tim the extra dialogue gives an extra insight into Igor and adds to the overall feeling of cold and desolation. During my school days I was exceptionally good at the art of précis but imagine how boring say, The Good Companions (studied for O Level Literature) would be if I précised it down to it’s bare essentials. I do understand your point but, for me, it’s often the storyline additions that help “make” a game and give a feeling of reality.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have now also finished this chapter myself, and even though it is in many ways not the best part of the game, it is really kind of a transition or bridge between Romansbourg and where we are now, then there is still plenty I like about it.

First of all it is the only part of the two games that takes place out in the open wilderness, whereas everything else takes place in different towns, villages, factories etc., and like everything else it looks beautiful, perhaps not as beautiful as some of the other places we have visited, but still beautiful.

Secondly the whole thing with Boris crash landing his flying wing, just at the right time and the right place, after we helped him get into space in the first game, simply meeting Boris again, and the ejector-seat flight of Kate, was simply hilarious imo. Unrealistic but both hilarious and a nice way to tie events from the two games together, after the first game I never though that we would meet Boris again, but then suddenly there he is Grin

And of course, the first time I played the game, I nearly got a heart attack when there was suddenly a bear right in our face. Ivan and Igor are not the best part of the game, even though this whole chapter wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for them, so I’m glad that we have finally gotten rid of them. The New York scene are beginning to show there purpose, and I still think they add a nice contrast to the rest. So all in all, not the best part of the game, but I still think that it adds to the game.

I really disliked the cockpit sequence. I halfway expected the instructions for the instruments be be hiding inside the Russian Doll. No such luck. I am guessing that the colors of the knobs and switches offered some clue as to what needed to be done, but if they did the clues were totally lost on me. Move stuff until something happens. Repeat.

There is some logic to it, like one button being an on/off switch and two others being the same for different sections on the dashboard, but there really is no way to solve it logically except trial & error and see what happens. Perhaps the most annoying puzzle in the whole game.

The ejections seat sequence was exciting. But, unless you remembered graphing from school, which was a loooong time ago for me, you wouldn’t intuitively know the correct number sequence. Horizontal/Vertical.

I’m glad I remembered about the tower and shed from when I played before. Otherwise I wouldn’t have had a clue what to do. As it is, I got lost trying to find my way back to the wreck.

(Added extra spoiler tag)

Unlike the other puzzle, this one can be solved completely by logic, though it might not be the easiest puzzle in the game. One thing that however always gets me, is that that there is two different blibs on the radar, on in the north-east and one in the south-east quadrant, and for some reason I always end up finding the wrong one first. As for the correct sequence, then there is actually a small diagram above the buttons, telling you which should be horizontal and vertical.

Mikekelly - 03 September 2015 11:31 PM

To me - I think the next part of our journey will be the most interesting yet, as they say, the plot thickens….......

I couldn’t agree more.

Jabod - 04 September 2015 10:18 AM

I do understand your point but, for me, it’s often the storyline additions that help “make” a game and give a feeling of reality.

I agree, especially here in a CP I always try to get as much as I possibly can, and go through every dialogue option or back and forth running, even if I know that I could make some shortcuts. Outside of these CP and of course also depending on the game, I’m not always as patient.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 04 September 2015 10:18 AM

Whilst perfectly true Tim the extra dialogue gives an extra insight into Igor and adds to the overall feeling of cold and desolation. During my school days I was exceptionally good at the art of précis but imagine how boring say, The Good Companions (studied for O Level Literature) would be if I précised it down to it’s bare essentials. I do understand your point but, for me, it’s often the storyline additions that help “make” a game and give a feeling of reality.

Although, because I didn’t get the look icon during the first pass, I did listen to everything! Igor had to say. I certainly got the feeling that Igor was cold. But he was the only one shivering. I’m not sure about desolation, but it would seem that his brother left him to fend for himself, so he must have felt abandoned to some degree.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Got to the cutoff point as well. Overall, I really enjoyed the second part, despite some annoyances with pixel hunting and the fishing puzzle that I alluded to earlier. I really liked the seat ejection sequence Grin I am loving the diversity of puzzles on display, and the fact that very few of them are inventory based. It gives for a nice variety. Can’t wait to check out the Yukol village and continue the journey to Syberia .

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The fishing puzzle didn’t work for me either. Easily the worst puzzle in the game so far. Overall, I believe the puzzles in this game are starting to ramp up in difficulty - and on the bright side, the puzzles I’ve solved so far in Syberia 2 are not retreads of the puzzles in Syberia 1 - which I’ve seen other adventure game series do.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Part 4: End of the Line / Charon

After some outdoors trekking Kate, Hans and Oscar are once again reunited, and are ready to continue their train-journey .. well, actually they aren’t, they have quite literally run out of track, the train simply doesn’t go any further, so we now have to find some other means of transportation.

This section is by far my personal favourite part of the game, not only is it the most visually stunning part of the game, perhaps in the whole series, it also have the best puzzles in the game, and story-wise .. well you will have to see for yourself.

You have a bit more days to complete this part, until Tuesday evening the 15th of September (cet), and you should stop as soon as you see penguins!

Yep, that is correct, penguins in the Arctic.
Well if mammoths can have survived since the last ice age in a small unknown lost island, trains can be spring driven and intelligent automatons can exist, who is to say that a small population of penguins can’t have crossed the equator undetected.

Stop right after this.

Edit: Added two more days to complete this part.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve fallen a bit behind (I’ve only just climbed that wall of ice/rock to get to where that plane crashed), but I’ll probably be able to catch up in this section.

I just couldn’t resist the “caption contestiness” of the following:

Kate Walker: “Here, take a breath mint. Please. Take a whole roll!”

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Yeah I´m a bit behind as well. Struggling with the plane. That´s quite a hard puzzle all of a sudden, in an otherwise easy game.(Didn´t really have trouble with the fishing puzzle, thought it was quite obvious after reading the book.)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Okay, a quick headcount tells me, that it is not just the two of you that has fallen a bit behind, so I have added two more days to allow people to catch up.

But please tell me if more is needed, I would like for everybody to still be aboard for the last part.

Edit: I will also delay my extra screenshots from part 3, until all or at least more have completed that part.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top