• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Music from my Country

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Okay so I am Lebanese/American, but the Lebanese part is the major part of who I am because of my parentage, and growing up in good old Lebanon. I was listening to some childhood Lebanese songs today, and I was wondering: wouldn’t it be cool if other people got to listen to it, and I got to listen to music from their countries to0. Thus the idea of this thread, is to post the favorite songs (old or new) from your country. I’ll start by posting some Lebanese catchy songs, and you probably won’t understand a word, but they have a catchy tune.

Jaye Jaye by Ronza and Raja Badr

Mishwar by Ronza and Hekmet Wehbeh

Mal3ab wil goal w Sami (translated to field and goal and sami, a soccer song actually Smile)Sami Clark

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Cool idea and nice tunes

My country (Portugal) is mostly known for fado:

Classic - Amalia Rodrigues:

More modern - Mariza:

Other recent stuff:

Azeitonas

Deolinda

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 13 August 2015 07:49 PM

More modern - Mariza:

Love the piano on this one!

Interesting thread! Thumbs Up

Most Belgian music (and I really should say ‘Flemish’ music because we get far too little exposure to Walloon music here Pan) is either schlager music (not a fan, personally) or (often acoustic) cabaret that favours great lyrics.
Well, there’s actually a wide variety of music that’s popular, but most non-schlager and non-cabaret music is sung in English (so I reckon it doesn’t really count for this thread?).

A classic Flemish song (possibly the most popular one of all time here):
Will Tura - Eenzaam Zonder Jou (1962)

A Flemish cabaret classic by a local legend who sings in our local dialect (so even the Dutch-speaking people here will probably require subtitles) - sadly for you all, the lyrics are his biggest strength:
Willem Vermandere - Lat Mie Mor Lopen (1981)

A few other classics:
Louis Neefs - Laat Ons een Bloem (1970)
Raymond van het Groenewoud - Je Veux de l’Amour (1981)
Guido Belcanto - Op het Zeildoek van de Botsauto’s (1989)

Some good exceptions to the ‘schlager or cabaret’ rule:
De Kreuners - Ik Wil Je (1990)
Gorki - Lieve Kleine Piranha (1992) - singer Luc De Vos passed away last year, which turned Gorki’s biggest hit Mia into an even bigger song here (and it’s topped several top 100/1000/2000 lists on the radio these past years even before his death)
Flip Kowlier - Welgemeende (2001) - one of the front men of hiphop group ‘t Hof van Commerce who has a pretty decent solo career as well, always sings in the local dialect

More recent stuff:
Yevgueni - Veel te Mooie Dag (2011)
Bart Peeters - Lepeltjesgewijs (2014)

Wow, and I first thought this was going to be hard to select a few. Got plenty more where this came from. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I’m Argentinean. I could put many songs from my country, from Tango to Rock, but this time I will share three songs, 2 classic Tango songs (after all is the kind of representative music of my country for which we are best known) and a song from the great composer Gustavo Santaolalla.

Classic tango songs:
Libertango ~ Astor Piazzolla  

La cumparsita ~ Juan D`Arienzo 

Gustavo Santaolalla (De Ushuaia a la Quiaca, are two cities in my country).
De Ushuaia a la Quiaca ~ Gustavo Santaolalla

He even won two Oscars, one for the music in Brokeback Mountain and another Oscar from Babel. In addition he was the composer of The Last of Us.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Renacimiento - 13 August 2015 11:54 PM

Gustavo Santaolalla (De Ushuaia a la Quiaca, are two cities in my country).
De Ushuaia a la Quiaca ~ Gustavo Santaolalla

That’s from the ‘The Motorcycle Diaries’ soundtrack! I loved the ‘Apertura’ track there.
It’s amazing what he can do with just a few simple guitar chords (Brokeback Mountain proved that as well).
He fully deserves both Oscars, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

TimovieMan - 14 August 2015 02:19 AM

That’s from the ‘The Motorcycle Diaries’ soundtrack! I loved the ‘Apertura’ track there.
It’s amazing what he can do with just a few simple guitar chords (Brokeback Mountain proved that as well).
He fully deserves both Oscars, imo.

Yes it is. Great movie btw about the life of Che, before being recognized as the revolutionary figure he eventually became. On his journey, on that trip that changed his life and his world view.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Renacimiento - 15 August 2015 06:48 AM

Yes it is. Great movie btw about the life of Che, before being recognized as the revolutionary figure he eventually became. On his journey, on that trip that changed his life and his world view.

I agree. A much better film than the Che two-parter with Benicio Del Toro.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

cool,  i havent noticed this thread before.

here is one of my little number of Egyptian songs that i really like. the song called A Story of A Soul: its about a man dying (literally) in his lover’s hands; decribing how grateful he was.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Since i have mixed heritage, will share all

And came across her on Taksimsquare, amazing vocals, listen to full songs, here

Turkish night life is dope…

P.S

Any scandanavian members, post your fav classic bands.

@Soccerdude and advie

I am sure there must be better Lebanese and egyptian songs.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Good choices Nomad, but i am not really following Egyptian songs market, unless you mean classics but then i guess you might know them already Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top