• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiekanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Her Story

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 05 July 2015 11:10 AM

I am coming from Killer7 type games, i wasnt convincing nobody.
Just discussing my pov.

Ah, that’s good to know. So your “wake up” wasn’t meant for me… Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 05 July 2015 12:29 PM

Just discussing my pov.

That pretty much shows , the reference went above your head.
It was a line from the game written by same guy which made him famous.
Spolier from his other game, ShatteredMemories
Its a line from the ending speech by psychologist when he reveals the truth about protagonist’s oedipal complex.

Tongue

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 05 July 2015 01:42 PM

Just discussing my pov.

Its a line from the ending speech by psychologist when he reveals the truth about protagonist’s oedipal complex.

Tongue

I have not played Shattered Memories, that explains it. But thanks for the spoiler. Tongue
I always have a hard time understanding your posts. I usually read them two or three times. Please don’t take this as an insult, it’s simply your style of writing.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 05 July 2015 04:13 PM
nomadsoul - 05 July 2015 01:42 PM

Just discussing my pov.

Tongue

I have not played Shattered Memories, that explains it. But thanks for the spoiler. Tongue
I always have a hard time understanding your posts. I usually read them two or three times. Please don’t take this as an insult, it’s simply your style of writing.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Played yesterday in one sitting. Great experience. I love how you’re essentially solving puzzles by coming up with which search terms to use and piecing together the mystery, but it’s all driven by the player’s own deduction, not by the game itself. Also the acting is excellent, and the short clips keep it from slipping into melodrama or awkwardness the way FMV games have a tendency to do. Overall it’s a really smart use of FMV. I especially loved that it was set in the 90s, the era of FMV gaming… it won’t become instantly dated like most FMV games because it’s already dated, on purpose.

At the end I was sure it was twins until I read this massive analysis by Adrian Chmielarz (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter). Now I’m convinced it’s multiple personalities.

(My main reasons for thinking twins were the tattoo and her touching the wrong side of her face when asked about the bruise, when she goes on to say she has a high metabolism.  I actually thought multiple personalities early on but those two things tipped me the other way. But a twin living in the attic for years without the parents noticing is suspicious enough to tip the scales for me, especially after the Bob Dylan concert incident where the police only seem to have delivered one girl home to her parents.)

Really clever way to tell a story and the story itself has more than what’s on the surface, which is always a plus for me. Lots of symbolism.

Something I wish it had, in the database checker, would be the ability to click on one of the videos you’ve already seen to see it again. I think would have helped when I had only a few videos left and was trying to find the missing ones. Also an easy way to play through the videos in order once they’re found would have been nice.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also liked this game - but found that despite how limited the player input was - the fmv clips just seemed so interesting I had to keep watching them.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

fov - 16 August 2015 08:48 PM

Played yesterday in one sitting. Great experience. I love how you’re essentially solving puzzles by coming up with which search terms to use and piecing together the mystery, but it’s all driven by the player’s own deduction, not by the game itself. Also the acting is excellent, and the short clips keep it from slipping into melodrama or awkwardness the way FMV games have a tendency to do. Overall it’s a really smart use of FMV. I especially loved that it was set in the 90s, the era of FMV gaming… it won’t become instantly dated like most FMV games because it’s already dated, on purpose.

At the end I was sure it was twins until I read this massive analysis by Adrian Chmielarz (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter). Now I’m convinced it’s multiple personalities.

(My main reasons for thinking twins were the tattoo and her touching the wrong side of her face when asked about the bruise, when she goes on to say she has a high metabolism.  I actually thought multiple personalities early on but those two things tipped me the other way. But a twin living in the attic for years without the parents noticing is suspicious enough to tip the scales for me, especially after the Bob Dylan concert incident where the police only seem to have delivered one girl home to her parents.)

Really clever way to tell a story and the story itself has more than what’s on the surface, which is always a plus for me. Lots of symbolism.

Something I wish it had, in the database checker, would be the ability to click on one of the videos you’ve already seen to see it again. I think would have helped when I had only a few videos left and was trying to find the missing ones. Also an easy way to play through the videos in order once they’re found would have been nice.

Welcome to our camp.
Smile

That analysis is so looooong, i wished he had spent as much time on EthanCarter’s plot.
But , anyway he is inline with my Rapunzel theory, but his other observations about the ring and we/i blunder are good evidences to add up, i didnt notice the former one.

Also, he is right about the version can be that easy to figure out if its 70% of interview discussions meaning everyone who would play to some extent will get away with same conclusion of this mystery, in other words no mystery.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Adrian Chmielarz article/essay/thesis is too long. I read it for about an hour and wasn’t even halfway. I get the gist of it though and some of his comments are either clever or they make sense.

Don’t read the next paragraph if you haven’t played The Wolf Among Us. SPOILERS.
The identity problem in Her Story reminded me of the very last scene with Nerissa and Bigby, which suggests that Nerissa and Faith are actually one (glamored) person. Intriguing! I thought about it, made notes, replayed the game, and read the most preposterous fantasies people came up with to make their favorite theory fit. It can’t be done, there are always contradictions. Eventually I decided that the only sensible and rational “solution” is that Faith is Faith and Nerissa is Nerissa. So what if they used the same words to Bigby, so what if their goodbye wave was identical – Bloody Mary used the exact same gesture too. TellTale put up a smokescreen with nothing behind it. The joke is on the player who tries to make sense of it all. Gggrrr. 

I’m not implying Sam Barlowe did too. He’s said from the first that he had a definite story in his head, but he refuses to reveal anything. Very wise. Still, it gives people the idea that they can project their own wild fantasies on the game. That’s what Adrian Chmielarz does. [spoiler]Example: Simon might have come home and found Hannah trying to commit suicide. HUH? A suicide attempt out of Adrian’s thin air. Another example: Not touching the proper cheek could have been because Eve has always seen the bruise in the mirror only (just as Hannah, for that matter), and now, without the mirror, reached for the wrong side. Nonsense, right and left are not reversed when I look in a mirror. **Besides, when you have a bruise you can feel where it is, you don’t need a mirror. As a matter of fact, not touching the proper cheek supports the twin theory. [/spoiler]

Adrian C. uses the Rapunzel fairy tale and other aspects of the story as a sort of TWAU “glamor”: Hannah is one person suffering from MPD, and her persona is pretending to be twins. Two theories neatly nested, no longer either or, problem solved.  IF this is what Sam Barlowe had in mind (and I’m not so sure it is), then he gets the prize for the most artificial, convoluted, contrived and essentially empty story ever. I liked the game, I really did, I’ll buy his next one the moment it is released. But there is a limit to my ability to suspend my disbelief. Please let the next story be better!

**I once walked past a mirror in a museum and noticed my image looked weird. I went back to see what was “wrong”. It was a mirror that reversed my right and left, I saw myself as other people see me. Smile

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

About the bruise:

I think the suggestion is that with multiple personalities, when Eve looks in the mirror and sees her own reflection she believes she’s seeing Hannah. So Hannah has a bruise on her left eye. Eve sees herself in the mirror and believes she’s seeing Hannah (normally, not as a reflection), and interprets the bruise as being on Hannah’s right eye. Then when she’s asked about the bruise, she motions to her right eye, because she believes that’s what side Hannah’s bruise is on.

Although, if she were looking at her twin she could have the exact same reaction, since looking at her twin would be like looking at her reflection. So it kind of supports either theory.

As much as I like the complexity of the story, I do wish the game had a more definitive ending. It’s lacking an “a ha!” moment where the player realizes they’ve figured it out. Makes me think of the movie Memento, where the story is told in fragments and it’s not until the last fragment that you truly understand what’s going on - at that point you can go back and look at the rest and understand them in a new way. Her Story never has that… you might think you’ve figured it out, but the game doesn’t validate the discovery in a satisfying way.

(I was hoping that the “1 volume missing” thing in the database meant that there was one last definitive clip that we’d get to see when all the others were recovered, but no such luck…)

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

fov - 17 August 2015 03:56 PM

About the bruise:

I think the suggestion is that with multiple personalities, when Eve looks in the mirror and sees her own reflection she believes she’s seeing Hannah. So Hannah has a bruise on her left eye. Eve sees herself in the mirror and believes she’s seeing Hannah (normally, not as a reflection), and interprets the bruise as being on Hannah’s right eye. Then when she’s asked about the bruise, she motions to her right eye, because she believes that’s what side Hannah’s bruise is on.

If that’s AC’s interpretation of the bruise/no-bruise situation, it’s way too convoluted for me. Hannah being Eve sees Hannah in the mirror, even though Eve thinks she is Hannah’s twin and of course should look just like her? Nooooo! And although I’m no expert on MPD-personas, I have never heard they don’t recognize themselves in the mirror. They will probably be dismayed if their reflection doesn’t fit the self-image of the person they think they are at that particular moment, but they don’t twist reality to the point that they forget what a mirror is. 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I liked Her Story, but I too found the end to be pretty lackluster, lacking a true wrap up of what had transpired.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

When I finished it I was completely on the side of believing [spoiler]that they were twins.  But then I checked out a video where they played all the clips in order, and looked over some key spots (the discussion about fingerprints, Hannah tapping to herself “Bye Hannah”, and the end confession) to get a clearer picture of everything, and I’m pretty sold on the Multiple Personality theory now.

[spoiler]The story is actually a hell of a lot more believable that way than it is with twins.  Eve wasn’t really living in the attic when their parents died.  That’s just where Hannah was imagining Eve to be living.  I also see no reason to believe that either killed their parents.  That’s just a red herring, IMO.  (whether Hannah is imagining that Eve killed her parents, I don’t know.  But I don’t think either of them actually did.)

[spoiler]And a lot of the reasons people are listing in this thread as evidence against the multiple personalities are not evidence at all, IMO.  Such as failing the lie detector test.  Those only test what the person believes, and Eve actually believes she’s a different person than Hannah, so of course she’d fail that.

[spoiler]Also there’s no reason to believe that Eve was actually singing in bars that often.  It’s just where Hannah was imagining Eve to be again.  I figure that she was doing it once a week as Eve, and those are the times Simon started showing up.

[spoiler]Which actually makes the tale more tragic, IMO.  I think Simon knew that they were the same person, so in his mind he wasn’t cheating.  Watch the part again about how Eve says he brought her to his home hoping they were caught to prove they were different people.  He either suspected her of having this illness, or thought this was some kind of game she was playing where she was pretending to be someone else on those nights.

[spoiler]When Hannah confesses to him about having a twin who is pregnant and he reacts with shock, I see three possibilities.  Either he actually starts to believe that and is scared that he’s been cheating with someone else, he’s shocked that Hannah actually believes that Eve is a different person, or what he’s actually shocked about is the news of the pregnancy.

[spoiler]The real clincher for me though is that end text message, with all the dramatic music behind it.  I totally read that as saying that Sarah was there to find out why her mother killed her father.  But we know her mother is Eve and that Hannah is the one that killed Simon.  So that only works if they are the same person.

[spoiler]But there’s all kinds of other clues too.  When Hannah first got pregnant all of a sudden her sister’s periods stopped too?  ... Huh?  Also Eve says later that she believed that they were both infertile now.  Why else would Hannah’s miscarriage make Eve infertile?  And again, Hannah tapping to herself is a big hint.  As is the “My sister is gone, and she’s never coming back.  Can you arrest someone that doesn’t exist?”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 17 August 2015 08:55 PM
fov - 17 August 2015 03:56 PM

About the bruise:

If that’s AC’s interpretation of the bruise/no-bruise situation, it’s way too convoluted for me. Hannah being Eve sees Hannah in the mirror, even though Eve thinks she is Hannah’s twin and of course should look just like her? Nooooo! And although I’m no expert on MPD-personas, I have never heard they don’t recognize themselves in the mirror. They will probably be dismayed if their reflection doesn’t fit the self-image of the person they think they are at that particular moment, but they don’t twist reality to the point that they forget what a mirror is. 

Please watch Fightclub and Identity

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Detective Mosely - 18 August 2015 04:56 AM

[spoiler][...]and looked over some key spots (the discussion about fingerprints, Hannah tapping to herself “Bye Hannah”, and the end confession) to get a clearer picture of everything, and I’m pretty sold on the Multiple Personality theory now.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It’s Eve who is tapping Bye Hannah.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And a lot of the reasons people are listing in this thread as evidence against the multiple personalities are not evidence at all, IMO.  Such as failing the lie detector test.  Those only test what the person believes, and Eve actually believes she’s a different person than Hannah, so of course she’d fail that.

True. But most of people’s arguments could go both ways. Clever game design and careful wording. So why did Eve stop pretending to be Hannah in the last interview? She tells the detectives all about the twin stuff only because she was found out by the lie detector test? Highly unlikely, she must have planned it before she came in, it’s her escape route after Hannah got real angry with the detectives for mentioning twins. And her behavior doesn’t change one bit, she’s not a woman who has been found out and now starts confessing the crimes of her sister. Then why not tell the lie detector she’s Eve?

[spoiler]The real clincher for me though is that end text message, with all the dramatic music behind it.  I totally read that as saying that Sarah was there to find out why her mother killed her father.  But we know her mother is Eve and that Hannah is the one that killed Simon.  So that only works if they are the same person.

[spoiler]Ah, but the text message said: Do you understand now why your mother did what she did?  You can’t use your interpretation of those very amiguous words as proof of MPD.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]But there’s all kinds of other clues too.  When Hannah first got pregnant all of a sudden her sister’s periods stopped too?  ... Huh?

Identical twins share the weirdest physical and mental stuff.

Also Eve says later that she believed that they were both infertile now.  Why else would Hannah’s miscarriage make Eve infertile?

I don’t think a causal relation was implied. Eve thought she was infertile because she did everthing she could to get pregnant by sleeping around a lot, and failed.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I’m inclined to think the MPD camp has the better arguments. But like I said, I’d hate it to be a twin variant of MPD. Too gimmicky, not realistic. Hannah is the real person, name, life, everything. Are we really supposed to believe that the personality Hannah will disappear for ever and her made-up, split-off “twin” Eve is taking over for good? For one thing, that’s not how MPD works. The real personality remains the first one. IMO it would make much more sense for Hannah to put the blame for the murder on her persona Eve.

But hey… it’s just a story. That’s all we’ve been doing, right? Telling each other stories. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top