• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckychrissieDale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventures for the Oculus Rift

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I wonder. The Oculus Rift will be for sale soon, if it isn’t already, and it needs good adventure games of course. Is there any activity concerning that? Or am I too early?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Xing looks promising

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

wilco - 05 July 2015 10:32 AM

Xing looks promising

Cool! Who knows, if it has a good story it can be the new Myst Wink

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Obduction by Cyan will also support Oculus Rift.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The Assembly will be on both Oculus and Project Morpheus.

http://www.ndreams.com/titles/theassembly/

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve stumbled upon this list on Steam that has a bunch of adventures that supposedly will have support. Not sure how accurate it is but has a bunch of adventures. Some already released like Among the Sleep, Fract OSC (this one should be amazing!), Homesick, etc.
Also some future releases like Homesick, Xing and City Quest.

I was bit confused how City Quest will work but found this weird video Smile

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Loading Human is one—I saw it at GDC and previewed it for AG.

The “wow” factor of putting on the headset and getting a 360-degree view of the world is very cool, but I had a hard time with the controls. Using my hands to interact with the world was much harder than it should have been, which sort of ruins the immersion. Time will tell, but between the hardware investment players will need to make and the learning curve for navigating around the VR environment (compared to the familiarity of a mouse or a gamepad), VR seems like a hard sell for adventure games.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have done Oculus Rift and own many great VR systems. For adventure games I didn’t like any VR systems I’ve tried so far. To work for me, the puzzles would have to be very simple, like a telltales game.

However - for shooters, driving games and pure action games I like VR. A hybrid game that combines all three genres I mentioned and some simple puzzles I would enjoy.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mikekelly - 07 July 2015 07:06 PM

occultist rift

Autocorrect? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I read The Witness is going to support Morpheus, so maybe we’ll see Rift support at some point too.

I think VR has tremendous potential for adventure and adventure-like games. VR doesn’t really lend itself that well to the action-oriented paradigm of first-person games that prevails right now. Fast movement is disorienting, and when you feel a part of a world, the first thing you want to do is explore and examine, not blow it up.

There’s something very compelling about that in a VR world. Whether it’s “traditional” adventures or more narrative exploration stuff like Gone Home, I think we’re going to see adventures as one of the more popular genres for this new medium. Obduction seems like a good start, although it’s probably not designed to run at 90Hz on today’s hardware.

Mikekelly - 07 July 2015 07:06 PM

However - for shooters, driving games and pure action games I like VR. A hybrid game that combines all three genres I mentioned and some simple puzzles I would enjoy.

I think this is wrong. Well driving games and other vehicle simulators, sure, definitely, but not so much FPS action games.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think VR has tremendous potential for adventure and adventure-like games. VR doesn’t really lend itself that well to the action-oriented paradigm of first-person games that prevails right now. Fast movement is disorienting, and when you feel a part of a world, the first thing you want to do is explore and examine, not blow it up.

We just have to agree to disagree on this one. I own over six VR systems and have played them all.

The problem for me is solving complex puzzles for me may take the use of pen and paper to figure it out. And when you are wired up for VR, with current systems, you can’t use paper and a pen/pencil to do problem solving, map making, etc. etc.

However, in the future with more powerful systems this limitation maybe eliminated completely.

Action games, FPS shooters and the like are more of a dexterity challenge than anything else and I enjoyed them more with current VR systems.

Now telltale adventure games should play well with VR due to the simplicity of the puzzles. 

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top