• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Jurassic World

Best dino movie since the original JP. It ignores 2 and 3 and acts as a direct sequel to JP with lots of nods and Easter eggs to notice.

Thankfully it also sticks to the mixture of real and cgi effects that made the dinosaur so realistic and scary before.

Pratt is really good in the action hero role and is fun to watch. The kid actors and Bryce Howard are fine but don’t really stand out.

Loved it.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Jurassic World

Many people have said this sits just below the original Jurassic Park movie from 1993 and I’d have to agree.

The film starts at a good pace and really works well in giving you the feeling of a Park that’s been around a while and has successfully got control of its exhibits and has started learning even more about them. We’re introduced to the characters though snippets that go back and forth till their stories combine to the key moment of the film.

The characters are for the most part okay, but I do feel certain scenes leading to character development could of been better - especially for the antagonist who’s motives seemed a bit obscure for me.

There’s plenty of nods to the original movie and it even manages to fill in some of the cracks. But, onto the main attractions of the film; the dinosaurs.

Firstly, the trailers would have you believe Owen Grady (Pratt) can control the raptors. This, is complete nonsense and is quickly shown to be the case in the film. The raptors are still lethal and unerving. Sure, there are some questionable moments with the raptors that probably could of been handled better, but for the most part, it’s enjoyably enough. Anyway, on to the new dinosaur…

The “new” dinosaur is cleverly handled and is clearly a powerful presents that sits up there with the t-rex, raptors and Spinosaurs from the previous movies. I think, again, some of the scenes where the idea of building tension could of been better, but all in all, it’s done well.

I’d give this a recommendation if asked. It’s a fun monster movie that sits up there as one of the strongest this year.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2015-02-20

PM

I’ve just seen The Shawshank Redemption and it’s def in my personal top 5

Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible, and suddently you are doing the impossible.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Inside Out

This is probably the best Pixar movie (and by far the best animation) I have ever seen, and one of the most innovative, emotional and moving movies I have seen all year long. It is a joy to watch, but make sure you bring the tissues. A true masterpiece in film making.

5/5

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 19 June 2015 10:56 PM

Inside Out

This is probably the best Pixar movie (and by far the best animation) I have ever seen, and one of the most innovative, emotional and moving movies I have seen all year long. It is a joy to watch, but make sure you bring the tissues. A true masterpiece in film making.

5/5

Also saw it today. Totally agree.
Welcome back Pixar. Stop making sequels…

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

SoccerDude28 - 19 June 2015 10:56 PM

Inside Out

5/5

Totally agree. Pixars best movie in years. A movie that truely plays to kids and adults alike.

I creased myself laughing at the young boys head with the girl alarm going off.

Bring Tissues for the laughter and the sadness.

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Jurassic World

I didn’t like it so much. It was more of the same after the first three movies (of which 2 and 3 were really bad IMO). But indeed, as Tad and Lucien say, the references to the first movie were fun (and there were a LOT of those! I think the T-Rex even made the same moves for a while inside the old entrance building but I’m not entirely sure), and I did like the Mosasaurus. I think it’s indeed just below the first JP movie.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Kingsman - The Secret Service

Most engaging spy comedy I’ve encountered since Austin Powers. I have yet to see Spy with Melissa McCarthy.

Perfume: The Story of the Murderer

They told you Dark Knight was dark superhero movie? Then they haven’t watched the adaptation of this popular German classic. Atmosphere, cinematography, soundtrack, twisted story… You have it all. Ok, Tykwer went safe on this one as far as directing goes, but it’s still a must see, thought provoking epic.

The Machinist

Incredibly boring. Not slow and atmospheric, just boring. Every time there was a hint of interesting scene, it just stopped in middle and continued with something even more boring (aside from certain good scenes, of course).

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Gone Girl - 3/5

Unsettling atmosphere (thank you, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross!) and a very intriguing mystery with a genius plot twist about an hour in. Made me sit up straight again (and that happens very little).

Sadly, the entire thing falls apart in the last act with an anticlimactic (and illogical) non-ending. And then suddenly the many plot holes become obvious.
The ending (or at least what they were probably going for) should have been unnerving. It failed spectacularly and ruins an otherwise VERY good first two hours.

Tyler Perry delivers an insanely cool performance, though. Highly memorable character, the entire movie seemed to shift up a gear when he entered the scene.
And NPH nails a good level of ‘creepy’.

Superb film until the final fifteen minutes ruined it.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2015-05-20

PM

I don’t watch movies too often anymore. When I do, they’re typically abstract art films. It seems pretentious, I know, but I genuinely enjoy them, both for their chance to provide analysis and for the unabashed creativity (in other words, I don’t watch them to seem intelligent or be snobbish). I prefer the ones that can attach a human element. I think it takes a lot of skill to create something that is obtuse and strange, yet can still resonate on an emotional level.

Anyway, only one of the films I’ve seen recently falls into that category. That would the older anime film Angel’s Egg.

Angel’s Egg was wonderful. It’s a dreamlike film with very slow, deliberate pacing; pacing that, combined with the detailed backdrops and still, subtle animation, has caused many to refer to it as a “moving painting”. The movie maintained an excellent atmosphere, strained, lonely and peaceful. The little dialogue there is is very well-written and and superbly acted. It’s loosely based on a religious metaphor, but it’s not a film that feels like it has a huge message to communicate. It’s just a nice escape into a unique, somewhat foreboding, but beautiful world.

The other movie I saw was Boy Wonder. I saw it with some friends. We had all heard good things about it from different people. They mostly said the same two things: that the film was dark and gritty, and that it was similar to the Batman: Year One graphic novel.

Well, it was nothing like that. We all were astounded with how bad the movie was. The clunky dialogue was filled with obvious exposition, and every character was introduced by cramming all their character traits into their first few lines. At one point, when two cops are partnered up, they almost break the fourth wall by just flat-out stating their dominant traits at each other. It was cringe-worthy.

The acting was mostly okay, with the exception of the female cop lead, whose performance was appalling, in both manner and inflection. Every time she was required to curse, she stumbled over it like a little kid.

It was nothing like Batman: Year One. The story was confusing, there was barely any action, and it was filled with silly-looking editing effects in a pathetic attempt to be artsy. The ending was interesting, but the build-up was not worth it.

The final nail in the film’s coffin its bizarre racism. The scene in the Chinese restaurant had everyone watching staring in disbelief. Just awful.

Don’t waste your time watching it.

Walking the fine line between being an original hardware nerd, and being broke from buying original hardware.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Still Alice - 4/5

I knew Julianne Moore was a lock for the Oscar this year. I now understand why that was and why she won.
She delivers an absolutely heartwrenching performance as a deteriorating Alzheimer’s disease patient. You can actually see the shame and self-disappointment in her eyes in a lot of scenes.
It’s a very solid film in its own right, but the acting performance lifts it up a few notches more…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Another thumb up for King Fury! Though, I found the first part of the movie to be stronger. I mean, the film is awesome, but it could have been really, really great if there was a real story behind it all, instead of parodying everything and everybody. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2015-07-14

PM

What did everything think of Mad Max Fury Road?

I thought it was a retina-busting masterpiece ! The writing and direction team made over 3,000 storyboards prior to shooting (around that number, I think, so don’t quote me), and they wanted to emulate Hitchcock’s sentiment that the movie should be understood in Japan without subtitles. I think it is / would be. As such, you end up with a powerful, visceral story and some unparalelled action scenes.

4.5 / 5 for me.

eat my shorts

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jurassic World

Faux megamix of CGI, acting and plot.
Now everyone acts in Blue/Green screen.
Film making is dead, its all about video making.

1/5

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Okay, I know this is suppose to be about movies we’ve seen, but I was never going to watch this as I knew it would be bad. But, this review is brilliant:

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top