• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cartoonie Style of AGs - Are you ok with it?

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I’m asking this just to know how people are seeing the latest AGs beying released. Years ago I kind of enjoyed the cartoon style games but I thing the developers/designers could try another aproauch when developing/designing games. More realistic. I’m getting tired of just seeing cartoonie like games beying released recently. Just my thoughts.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i dont think theres any particular art style i would rule out from enjoying in an adventure game.
What matters is if the game is good and how good.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I thought we still had games being released with all styles, including realistic?

The cartoony ones aren’t the majority.

But no matter the style, it has to fit the game and story, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m fine with the style myself. And further more, I think the art style is something that should be considered game to game basis in that if the style actually fits for the game and what the devs are trying to do.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I am tired too, and one of the reason i avoid playing some of them.
The problem is , majority of AGs are spawned as inspration from Lucas and Sierra.
Most of them try to follow MI and DoT style and that shtick is getting fatigued.

On other hand, realistic graphics are hard for most of the AG devs.
I dont remember any good realistic PnC i played lately.
Ethancarter is an exception, but they arent your tradional AGs.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have no problem with cartoony graphics.

I would be nice to se some more HD realistric graphics, but there are also still made plenty of those. Dramfall Chapters, Ethan Carter, JULIA Amoung the stars, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment just to name some.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

They’re not my favorite, in fact my interest wanes quickly when I see the screenshots of a game I’m interested in and it’s in cartoon style.  On the other hand, if the game is unusual or has a particularly good story, I’m thinking of titles like The Journey Down and Jessica Plunkenstein, the graphics are integral to and enhance it.

Lately I’ve been playing casual games which style is usually cartoony/realistic and it may be increasing my tolerance.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t mind cartoon style if it suits the story - I’m far less impressed with the ‘childish’ portrayal of characters turning up in a lot of recent games.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’m fine with either.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I am fine with all sorts of graphical styles, as long as it is done good.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I’m good with all, but I definitely prefer cartoony. I love the idea of moving around in and advancing the story of an interactive cartoon.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I have more dislike for cartoony voices and unfunny “humor” than for cartoony graphics.
Certain “cartoony” games have graphics where characters are distorted in such a way that they set my teeth on edge, but those are a minority.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

We are all diferent as cartooney style is my favourite.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think of serious and humor AGs,  instead of realistic and cartoony, to summon in all the adventures styles, and as the latter mayhap basically depending on presenting this cartoony artwork and characters design ..etc; serious AGs would still be given in whichever outlook the designer decides.
there are ags like Enda with a very cartoony outlook, but the story and the adventure direction hints to more serious matters than just a few good laughs.
Loom would look like a Disney, but you know how LOOMtm is, otherwise there are AGs like Tale of A Hero, which would look like a serious realistic AG, but beneath that look it is a very light fatansy Jane Jensen-Eco Quest like, Anyways.

taking Uruboo words (on topic), I would simply agree with some posts here, that I (also) do have a problems with cartoony/houmor AGs ruling the genre, where games like Alter Ego, TMOS, The Longest Journey(s)..etc seem RARE (in some obvious sense).

I don’t mind (maybe crave for) realistic/serious AGs, even if they were pixeled, like Wadjet Eyes, or a Police Quest Grin

Edited: sorry for the earlier (rushed) too many typing mistakes post.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Interestingly, I love the cartooie style games ... usually. I loved the Simon the Sorcerer games, Torin’s passage, leisure suit larry, 3 skulls of the toltecs, jack Orlando,  the Broken Sword games, Kyrandia, etc.  but for some reason I couldn’t get into Broken Age. you would think that would be right up my alley, but, alas, not so.  but, usually this is my favorite style of adventure games. but I also liked the Gabriel Knight games and the Secret Files games.  so, I guess it just depends on the story and what attracts me to them. I am so surprise that I really disliked Broken Age. That should have been on my top 10 list but I never even finished and have no desire to at this point.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

UruBoo - 03 July 2015 08:28 PM

Cartoonie Style of AGs - Are you ok with it?

Cartoony AGs are my favo(u)rites, so I guess I’m OK with “cartoonie style.”

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top