• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age Act 2 Discussion

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

SoccerDude28 - 27 May 2015 12:44 PM

I can’t speak for Wilco, but I think he means compared to animations achieved in other genres.

Yeah, I don’t know why someone would even compare it with games from other genres where as we know the budgets are much bigger and they mostly work with 3D graphics, motion capturing etc.

As far as 2d games go I don’t think there are many (if any) games with better animation.

My guess is he probably doesn’t like the general style used, because I really can’t see how can anyone consider the animation in broken age anything less than great.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Keregioz - 27 May 2015 01:06 PM
SoccerDude28 - 27 May 2015 12:44 PM

I can’t speak for Wilco, but I think he means compared to animations achieved in other genres.

Yeah, I don’t know why someone would even compare it with games from other genres where as we know the budgets are much bigger and they mostly work with 3D graphics, motion capturing etc.

As far as 2d games go I don’t think there are many (if any) games with better animation.

My guess is he probably doesn’t like the general style used, because I really can’t see how can anyone consider the animation in broken age anything less than great.

Yes, like SoccerDude said, I was comparing to other genres.
No, I don’t think it has anything to do with 3D graphics or motion capture.
Yes, there are games with better animations.

And like I said, the art style is great but I don’t think the animation is anything special. But in the end it doesn’t matter, it didn’t detract anything from the game in my final impressions and I don’t really play adventures for that.

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

wilco - 27 May 2015 01:37 PM

Yes, like SoccerDude said, I was comparing to other genres.
No, I don’t think it has anything to do with 3D graphics or motion capture.
Yes, there are games with better animations.

And like I said, the art style is great but I don’t think the animation is anything special. But in the end it doesn’t matter, it didn’t detract anything from the game in my final impressions and I don’t really play adventures for that.

Yeah, I played a bit of the game in that gif (don’t recall the name), and while the cut scenes are visually impressive (and better that BA), the art style is completely different from broken age. The characters kinda look like cell shaded 3D to me, but I’m not sure. Either way it’s a different technique than the one used on BA. I don’t get what more you’d expected from the paper-cut style animation BA used.

And btw, I didn’t claim there are no games with better animation but I’m sure they’re pretty few. I can’t name any off the top of my head (I’m not much of a gamer). If you could name 5-6 of them I would be genuinely curious to know.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Sorry to derail but since ori and the Blind Forest was mentioned, I can’t help but link to this amazing concept art dump, it’s so beautiful I can’t help but share it.  You know a game has amazing animation when you can’t tell whether you’re looking at 2d or 3d.

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

Mr Underhill - 27 May 2015 03:47 PM

Sorry to derail but since ori and the Blind Forest was mentioned, I can’t help but link to this amazing concept art dump, it’s so beautiful I can’t help but share it.  You know a game has amazing animation when you can’t tell whether you’re looking at 2d or 3d.

Looks like I was right, it is 3D, so it’s kind of unfair to compare it to BA (and I think the budget was pretty bigger too):

http://airborn-studios.com/projects/2011/moon/ori_maquette_03.jpg

In any case, it really is a visually stunning game, too bad I couldn’t get into that kind of gameplay and I gave up on it almost immediately.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

To be fair to Tim and the Gang, the whole idea from the beginning was to build the world around Nathan Stapley’s particular brand of crazy art. Going for frame by frame animation would’ve meant a flat look for the character, which would’ve broken the immersion into the very painterly backgrounds. It happens fairly frequently in most games but this game was literally built around the dude’s painting style, so in keeping it visually organic and storybook-like, cutout was the best way to go about it, not to mention time-efficient, too.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Keregioz - 27 May 2015 02:10 PM

And btw, I didn’t claim there are no games with better animation but I’m sure they’re pretty few. I can’t name any off the top of my head (I’m not much of a gamer). If you could name 5-6 of them I would be genuinely curious to know.

Besides Ori, stuff like Dragon’s Crown (and games from the same team), Ubiart games (Rayman 2D games), some indies like Guacamelee, Ghost Trick, a lot of 2D fighting games and others I don’t remember.
But if Ori doesn’t count probably other games that I mentioned are also 2.5 or something.

But if having better animation would result in reducing the quality of the backgrounds and the characters art style I’d say they made the right choice. And maybe it’s really just the paper-cut style movements that I don’t like.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Do you guys think there will be a Broken Age 2?

I don’t think they will do a Broken Age 2. But I do think they will do another point and click adventure game.

I do think a Broken Age Remastered will be released in the future and that could be an amazing game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Completed it today, quite disappointed.
I was stuck for a while because of the illogical thing everyone’s (rightly) complaining about. I guess you can consider it a sort of lateral thinking situation. Maybe.

The end sequence was tedious because it kept resetting and was seemingly timed. More importantly, it made no sense. In the game, you’re being fired at. How is the solution forcing everyone out of the ships? Why won’t they just get blown up by the cannons or be arrested or whatever? It didn’t stop me from solving it because I love rearranging soup cans, but in retrospect it was dumb.

The worst puzzle IMO was scouring the land, looking for someone to lick that stupid cupcake. It was ridiculous that I knew what I had to do, and my character was perfectly capable of doing it but noooo, the interface doesn’t let me do it so I must just try it out on everyone.

Other lowlights: re-using the teleporter puzzle, which was backtracking galore in the first part too. Misleading signposting in the “hull patch” section, making me think I had to measure the amount of juice and egg shell when the game meant to tell me I had to measure the pH of the mixture itself. The beginning of Vella’s sequence, where that particular panel makes less sense than the others, so I thought I had the wrong idea.
Also, that’s not a mold.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 02 June 2015 02:44 AM

The worst puzzle IMO was scouring the land, looking for someone to lick that stupid cupcake. It was ridiculous that I knew what I had to do, and my character was perfectly capable of doing it but noooo, the interface doesn’t let me do it so I must just try it out on everyone.

That is true. (Terrible) Adventure game logic.

Antrax - 02 June 2015 02:44 AM

Other lowlights: re-using the teleporter puzzle, which was backtracking galore in the first part too. Misleading signposting in the “hull patch” section, making me think I had to measure the amount of juice and egg shell when the game meant to tell me I had to measure the pH of the mixture itself.

Not sure what was the problem here. Shay’s father keeps telling the player that the problem is that he has to be sure the pH is 7

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

May have been my fault, but from my recollection, if you try Using the shell or the fruit on the mixture, Shay says he needs to be able to measure “that”. I thought “that” meant the amount of what I’m trying to add, not the acidity of the mixture itself

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

scouring the land, looking for someone to lick that stupid cupcake.

That was another really bad puzzle. Chapter 2 puzzle-wise was pretty terrible from about half-way through until the end.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Antrax - 03 June 2015 03:26 AM

May have been my fault, but from my recollection, if you try Using the shell or the fruit on the mixture, Shay says he needs to be able to measure “that”. I thought “that” meant the amount of what I’m trying to add, not the acidity of the mixture itself

I don’t recall what Shay said in that specific puzzle (your probably do more because you got stuck on it), but this specific puzzle made total sense to me. For some reason, I picked on the acidity of the mixture right away.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Mikekelly - 03 June 2015 07:04 AM

scouring the land, looking for someone to lick that stupid cupcake.

That was another really bad puzzle. Chapter 2 puzzle-wise was pretty terrible from about half-way through until the end.

Heart

I totally agree that in this case, it was a bad puzzle, and it would have been much more logical if you could just use cupcake on yourself. This kind of silly logic has always been one of the weaknesses of graphic adventure games.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Just finished the game so let me say a couple of things.

I read a lot about how the game has almost no puzzles and have to disagree, it has a fair number of puzzles, not very difficult but not very easy either. I liked the first part of the game more and liked the twist at the end of first part. That being said, the ending was disappointing, i expected more and was underwelmed by it. I dont know if they just rushed it to be able to ship on time or what but it could have been better.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top