• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieLady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age Act 2 Discussion

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I didn’t like the fact that the wiring puzzle worked by using information from Vela’s playthrough to be able to solve it when playing Shay. This kind of broke the fourth wall and the suspension of disbelief…

Completely. No way that information could have been passed. I got these puzzles done by the skin of my teeth.

Both Vela and Shay’s parts should have been separate.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Well im glad they found a way to incorporate cooperation between the two scenarios, because otherwise whats the point of being able to switch back and forth between the two. I thought that was very odd that the first chapter didnt take advantage of that.. when that style is perfectly suited for cooperative puzzling. Unfortunately in terms of being believable, the co-op puzzles fall flat. The player is supposed to assume the two characters have some kind of intangible connection but that isnt really focused on very much. Otherwise i liked their subtle inclusion, and the pacing of it fit nicely for me because if i started to get stuck in one scenario i just switched to the other.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

if i started to get stuck in one scenario i just switched to the other.

I tended to enjoy switching from one character to another as well. Having two characters really added to the game.

I do hope we see more games do this in the future.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Broken Age is great and all, but I think I’m not the only one who wants another point and click from DF featuring a more mature protagonist. Someone like Manny, perhaps? Grin

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also want another point and click from Double Fine, but to be honest, the age of the main character or characters is not important to me.

It will be interesting to see what it is.

Heart

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

zane - 23 May 2015 10:42 AM

Unfortunately in terms of being believable, the co-op puzzles fall flat. The player is supposed to assume the two characters have some kind of intangible connection but that isnt really focused on very much.

Exactly, I love cooperative puzzling if it makes story wise. And I actually found the wire puzzle to be quite well made and interesting but the fact that cooperation was needed when nothing in the story hinted to it ruined it for me.

They could easily have solved that by having Vela and Shay have visions of each other or something like this which would have made a connection between them clear.

It’s honestly a bit of a disappointment because between this and the plot holes,  this game which started out great and could have been a true masterpiece is bogged down by the story.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-10-24

PM

giom - 25 May 2015 08:15 AM

Unfortunately in terms of being believable, the co-op puzzles fall flat. The player is supposed to assume the two characters have some kind of intangible connection but that isnt really focused on very much.

Exactly, I love cooperative puzzling if it makes story wise. And I actually found the wire puzzle to be quite well made and interesting but the fact that cooperation was needed when nothing in the story hinted to it ruined it for me.

They could easily have solved that by having Vela and Shay have visions of each other or something like this which would have made a connection between them clear.

It’s honestly a bit of a disappointment because between this and the plot holes,  this game which started out great and could have been a true masterpiece is bogged down by the story.

Well to me the only way I can kind of rationalize it is that they are both in each others world and I guess it’s possible that they just inherently know this stuff but us as the player don’t know this information so we must find clues.  It is a stretch that the boy would know the pattern of the hexi pal configuration by heart but it’s a possibility.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sure, some kind of explanation in the story of how this information was exchanged wouldn’t have hurt, but I didn’t really mind that, and I still think that those wiring puzzles was one of the best thing about the game. There is in games in general already so many unbelievable things in the mechanics, that one more or less doesn’t really matter much.

There is also far far bigger problems with the story, than this little plot hole here. Like the whole Mom and Dad computer thing, that just fall flat to the ground after being build up in act 1. In fact the more I think about it, the less and less I actually like the whole story Frown

Mr Underhill - 24 May 2015 04:10 PM

Broken Age is great and all, but I think I’m not the only one who wants another point and click from DF featuring a more mature protagonist. Someone like Manny, perhaps? Grin

I would like that.
I don’t think Grim Fandango has sequel written all over it, and I wouldn’t expect that, but a new game with a protagonist similar to Manny would be great.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yep, I agree. Could have been one of the all time greats, but now I just consider it to be an OK adventure:

“The disappointing second half lets it down, but even at best, Broken Age is far from the genre’s greats.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/broken-age-review/#!

Wink

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve finished Act 2 (played it from the start on PSN).
And I agree with what was mostly stated, good game, a lot more interesting puzzles in Act 2 - liked the knot puzzle, dialogue puzzles, robot connections puzzle.
Story does take a disappointing turn. I think they shouldn’t really have stick to Shay and Vella not having any contact with each other.
Excellent art, bad animation. Voice acting and music very good. Likable cast characters and constantly funny dialogues.
Trying different stuff was rewarding with lots of different answers and that is always a good thing.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Bad animation? It’s among the best I’ve seen in adventure games in ages.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 27 May 2015 01:50 AM

Bad animation? It’s among the best I’ve seen in adventure games in ages.

That’s not exactly a high bar, is it? Being one of the best among adventure games. Maybe bad is too strong since it mostly does the job in the context of the paper-cut style characters.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I think it’s real good as far as puppet animation goes. I did find it a little weird when Shay first started walking around, but then it kind of clicked with his giraffe-like legs and everything came nicely into place.

If you stop to consider how much animation work went into just the close-ups of the characters talking… It’s one of the reasons you don’t really see that stuff in AGs, or you get static portraits a la Wadjet Eye games. So it’s limited but ambitious at the same time, the point is, it really works with the popup book-style visuals.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

wilco - 27 May 2015 05:34 AM

That’s not exactly a high bar, is it? Being one of the best among adventure games.

How is that not a high bar?  Confused

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Keregioz - 27 May 2015 12:06 PM
wilco - 27 May 2015 05:34 AM

That’s not exactly a high bar, is it? Being one of the best among adventure games.

How is that not a high bar?  Confused

I can’t speak for Wilco, but I think he means compared to animations achieved in other genres.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top